Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewsGator posted stats from the iPhone version of their NetNewsWire [App Store] news reader application. According to their blog post:

- There are over 200,000 users of NetNewsWire for iPhone
- Over 115,000 iPhone users have signed up in the past 30 days
- The average NetNewsWire iPhone user subscribes to 26 feeds
- One NetNewsWire/iPhone user has over 2,800 feeds -- wow!
- More than 130 million items have been marked read by NNW/iPhone users

NetNewsWire is a free RSS (Really Simple Syndication) client. Many websites publish RSS feeds which allow you to read their content through a centralized RSS reader which organizes and notifies you of individual site updates.

Article Link

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Seriously - how does one manage 2,800 feeds???
There's no way one person can read all of that information, and can the NetNewsWire app even handle that much? I had the app for about a day before deleting it, and even with 4 news feeds it took forever during every update.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
im 100% positive it will crash on the phone. It already does on mine with 20 feeds, and thousand something news items.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I have a little over 60 feeds and it doesn't crash. I'm not saying its the fastest app in the world on the iPhone, but it is at least stable.

do u have a news gator account? cuz i use that to sync both my feeds/read items on my powerbook/iphone. may be that is why it crashes?

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
There's no way one person can read all of that information, and can the NetNewsWire app even handle that much? I had the app for about a day before deleting it, and even with 4 news feeds it took forever during every update.

I would guess that those 2800 feeds are mostly coming from one host. Like notifications for SVN directories or other not news related subscriptions..
Feeds don't need to be used for news only..

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007

You have a 3G iPhone or and EDGE one? I have an EDGE iPhone and 44 feeds in NetNewsWire and it quite fast in loading them.

im 100% positive it will crash on the phone. It already does on mine with 20 feeds, and thousand something news items.

As I said above I have 44 feeds, and I can say I've had no problems with the app. It's fast and stable.

I have noticed what I believe to be a bug, when you open an article in it's website form within the app the website loads abnormally slow. Same with the load in Safari option. I've noticed I get a much faster load time when I load something in Safari outside the app.

Anyhow, great application by far my only must have app on the iPhone.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
What is the advantage of something like this over an aggregator website such as Google Reader? I don't get the benefit of using an RSS reader on an always-connected device!??!

Wingnutmacdude

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
Colorado
I phone and Sprint

Greetings!
I posted in the Sprint portion of Macrumors and wanted to know if any of you believe this video and the possibility of this happening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmbRsqPfgDg

In the above link a iphone user claims to have unlocked the iphone to use a Sprint network, i thought this was impossible? Any light, or information on the matter, thank you very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.