Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calexandre

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I just got back from the Czech Republic with two factory-unlocked iPhones, and thought I might post about my experience in case anyone else is searching for information on the process. (I didn’t find much when I looked myself.)

Three carriers sell unlocked iPhones in the Czech Republic: Vodafone, O2, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile sells only 8gb phones, and I wanted 16gb, so I can only report on the purchasing procedures at O2 and Vodafone.

I decided to try O2 first, because online, their prices looked cheapest: Vodafone seemed to require ordering a SIM with the phone, whereas O2 listed a price for the iPhone alone. In the brick and mortar stores, however, things worked out just the opposite.

1.O2
At O2, I was able to purchase only one iPhone—the guy said it was only possible to get one per customer, and he entered my address from my driver’s license into the computer, so presumably I couldn’t have just waltzed into the next O2 and gotten another. I was glad I hadn’t left my driver’s license at home, which I had nearly done that morning! I was also required to buy a prepay Czech SIM—the sales guy apologized but said it was a rule. The process took about 15 minutes, and the total for the unlocked phone and SIM was 14,190 Kc.

2. Vodafone
My next stop was Vodafone, to try to acquire a second phone for a friend. I expected the procedure would be similar there, but in fact, I simply walked in, asked for the phone, paid for it and left in about 2 minutes flat. No SIM, no driver’s license required. The total was 13,977 Kc.

My vote, therefore, goes to Vodafone for iPhones in the CZ. Quicker and less expensive.

Packetboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Hey Man,
Wow thanks so much for posting this.. My girlfriend is czech and we live in London I was in prague just last weekend and I thought hmm im sure czech has unlocked 3g iphones ( i already have the 1st gen 16gb) but then I forgot to research it...

Then tonight I also went onto the 02 website and I was definately going to get my girlfriends sister to buy one from 02 and bring it with her next week when she comes to visit but Ill definately get here to go to vodaphone thanks to your advice!!

One question did you have to activate the phone still over itunes? If so was there any problems activating it from the UK? I have heard some people who bought them unlocked from Italy having to active while in italy still.. not sure if this is true

anyway thanks again for the heads up bro!!!!

calexandre

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
One question did you have to activate the phone still over itunes? If so was there any problems activating it from the UK? I have heard some people who bought them unlocked from Italy having to active while in italy still.. not sure if this is true

anyway thanks again for the heads up bro!!!!

Glad to be of help (though I'm actually female :D)

I activated the phone I got for myself while I was in Prague, though I didn't actually register the phone over iTunes until I was back in Germany, where I reside for half the year. The second phone, the one I purchased for a friend, won't be activated until he picks it up on Saturday. I'll report back then as to whether he had any problems activating it here in Germany; if he doesn't, then presumably you should be fine to activate it in the UK, I'd think.

calexandre

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Just to confirm, no problems at all activating the Czech iPhone in Germany, with an American SIM in it, on a UK iTunes account. :)

steveuklad1

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Glad to be of help (though I'm actually female :D)

I activated the phone I got for myself while I was in Prague, though I didn't actually register the phone over iTunes until I was back in Germany, where I reside for half the year. The second phone, the one I purchased for a friend, won't be activated until he picks it up on Saturday. I'll report back then as to whether he had any problems activating it here in Germany; if he doesn't, then presumably you should be fine to activate it in the UK, I'd think.

Hi I'm going to Prauge this weekend - And thanks for posting this info. I am planning on buying an iphone for use here in the UK as I am with vodafone. Can you tell me if vodafone live works on your iphone? As I use vodafone live alot.

Thanks again

Steve

Packetboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Hi steve,
Just a heads up.. I was able to buy my 3g iphone outright.. however when I went back to prague to buy another one for my girlfriend about 3 months later they would no longer sell me one outright. The guy explained this was because many UK people were coming and buying them there and taking them back to the UK either for themselves or to sell on ebay for profit. He then went onto explain this was affecting stock numbers so when a legit person from prague wanted to go on a 2 year contract there was no stock left. So the end story was he was told not to sell them outright anymore they had to be taken out with a contract. This was with vodaphone in the middle of prague I also tried tmobile and it was the same story..

You might be lucky now however with the iphone 3gS annouchment they might be keen to clear some stock. But if I were you if I did not currently own an iphone I would definately hold out for the 3gs as it will be twice as fast CPU which the iphone definately needs !!!

Hope this helps,

Packetboy.

steveuklad1

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Hi steve,
Just a heads up.. I was able to buy my 3g iphone outright.. however when I went back to prague to buy another one for my girlfriend about 3 months later they would no longer sell me one outright. The guy explained this was because many UK people were coming and buying them there and taking them back to the UK either for themselves or to sell on ebay for profit. He then went onto explain this was affecting stock numbers so when a legit person from prague wanted to go on a 2 year contract there was no stock left. So the end story was he was told not to sell them outright anymore they had to be taken out with a contract. This was with vodaphone in the middle of prague I also tried tmobile and it was the same story..

You might be lucky now however with the iphone 3gS annouchment they might be keen to clear some stock. But if I were you if I did not currently own an iphone I would definately hold out for the 3gs as it will be twice as fast CPU which the iphone definately needs !!!

Hope this helps,

Packetboy.

Hi Packetboy

Thanks for the info. I take your point about the 3GS phone and i think I'll wait for that one as you suggested and re the CPU. I think it comes out 19th June theh 3GS.

Cheers

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.