Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamsterburger

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Hi

This may be an obvious question, but here goes: Can I buy a regular of the shelf PC HDD and put it in my Mac Pro, or do i need to use some kind of special drive?

Fanks:)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Any SATA drive will work. SAS only works if you have an SAS card.

Do not buy an EIDE or PATA drive, as those are for older systems, and the Mac Pro does not use them.

TEG

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hi

This may be an obvious question, but here goes: Can I buy a regular of the shelf PC HDD and put it in my Mac Pro, or do i need to use some kind of special drive?

Fanks:)

An Apple sales person would like you to believe their "Apple branded hard drives" are special. Aside of the Apple logo on the sticker their drives are same as every single OEM/Retail drive on the market, but you'll pay an premium for them. If I were you, just stick in any SATA 3.0 Gigabit or SAS drive (interface card required) and format it for Mac.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
An Apple sales person would like you to believe their "Apple branded hard drives" are special. Aside of the Apple logo on the sticker their drives are same as every single OEM/Retail drive on the market, but you'll pay an premium for them. If I were you, just stick in any SATA 3.0 Gigabit or SAS drive (interface card required) and format it for Mac.

True, except that Apple Branded Drives are covered by Apple Care, whereas if another drive you install causes your system to die or while in the process of installing you destroy your computer, it is not covered (officially).

TEG

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
True, except that Apple Branded Drives are covered by Apple Care, whereas if another drive you install causes your system to die or while in the process of installing you destroy your computer, it is not covered (officially).

TEG

All the drives I've ever bought have had much longer warranty periods than the year of AppleCare that comes with a Mac. I've only had 2 drives fail INSIDE the warranty period (Usually 3 years for a consumer drive), and both times WD and Seagate were very helpful.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
All the drives I've ever bought have had much longer warranty periods than the year of AppleCare that comes with a Mac. I've only had 2 drives fail INSIDE the warranty period (Usually 3 years for a consumer drive), and both times WD and Seagate were very helpful.

But if they cause a problem with the computer, then it will not be covered.

TEG

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Like what? Not trying to be facetious, I can't imagine an issue that messes with your computer where you couldn't go back to the company and say "this doesn't work the way it's supposed to."

I suppose that for the uninitiated, replacing the thing yourself might be scary. AppleCare DOES beat DIY if you're not willing to... DIY. :p

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

TEG

So TEG. You're telling me you'd sooner buy a drive from Apple, pay more for a small drive just so you get AppleCare cover on the HD? Where as the average OEM/Retail drive comes with 5 years warranty and costs less... Yeah I know.. Buying one from Apple doesn't void the system warranty.... but installing more HD's on the MP is user serviceable, just like installing RAM!

The MP's user manual (which everyone has) gives you step by step instructions on how to install more drives, on the current chassis it's completely idiot proof. One would have to be a complete f#$kin moron to screw up! Seriously.. those people who can managed to mess-up and kill their system/hardware don't deserve to be using them...

Rick Here

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
Apple Drives are special

The drives Apple sells for use in their systems have certain features set by the OEM manufacturer to integrate in with the system. These maybe error reporting, power features, temperature monitoring or others. On the whole though most other drives will perform adequately without much difference.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
The drives Apple sells for use in their systems have certain features set by the OEM manufacturer to integrate in with the system. These maybe error reporting, power features, temperature monitoring or others. On the whole though most other drives will perform adequately without much difference.

You're absolutely right! In addition to the superior HDD firmware, Apple also contracts Intel to use the special Gigafaeries to speed up the Mac Pro. This feature is ONLY enabled for Apple customers, so we can frolic in the fields and cover ourselves in AppleJam.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
You're absolutely right! In addition to the superior HDD firmware, Apple also contracts Intel to use the special Gigafaeries to speed up the Mac Pro. This feature is ONLY enabled for Apple customers, so we can frolic in the fields and cover ourselves in AppleJam.
LMAO. :)
Thanks. I needed a good laugh. :p

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire

I have to echo nanofrog's sentiment! :) That definitely is the post of the day in my book! :D

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
So TEG. You're telling me you'd sooner buy a drive from Apple, pay more for a small drive just so you get AppleCare cover on the HD? Where as the average OEM/Retail drive comes with 5 years warranty and costs less... Yeah I know.. Buying one from Apple doesn't void the system warranty.... but installing more HD's on the MP is user serviceable, just like installing RAM!

The MP's user manual (which everyone has) gives you step by step instructions on how to install more drives, on the current chassis it's completely idiot proof. One would have to be a complete f#$kin moron to screw up! Seriously.. those people who can managed to mess-up and kill their system/hardware don't deserve to be using them...

Actually, NO, I would do it myself. I'm only saying that if someone is not comfortable with computers, they should get Apple do it. Plus, you can buy the components you want, wherever you want and just get the Apple Store or Authorized Repair center to do the install. I've done things with my systems that Apple doesn't even allow to be done in the stores, and I'm a Computer Engineer, I know and understand how to do the work. My only concern for the OP was if they were unsure about what kind of hard drives you need for a Mac Pro, it is likely that they shouldn't be messing with system themselves, because if anyone were to read the manual, they would find that the exact the specs for hard drives to go into the Hard Drive bays is printed, plain as day, within.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.