Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories

Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:24 PM   #1
jrok18
Banned

How to put a screen protector without getting air bubbles?

Just got a new 2g touch at Costco then i went to best buy to see if they have any new cases and well they did. So i bought a iclear and it came with a screen protector but when i put it on it had all these air bubbles. So should i peel it off and try again or is it too late? Also what is the right way to put it on?
jrok18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:31 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
You should be able to remove (you may need scotch tape to do it) then as you place it on there, use a credit card to smooth it out as it lays down.

TEG
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:32 PM   #3
hogfaninga
macrumors 65816

You should be able to take it off and reapply it. After you take it off, start from the bottom of it and slowly push it towards the front. You can use a credit card to smooth out any bubbles. Worked for me. Then I bought the Bestskinsever and that was a little more difficult, but it looks awesome.

I put on the iClear over it (I know overkill, oh well) and like that also.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:51 PM   #4
jrok18
Banned

I flipping give up.
jrok18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:54 PM   #5
donga
macrumors 6502a

since you're frustrated you could use a small pin and gently prick the bubbles without scratching the touch. the protector might have extremely small holes but you'll have peace of mind
donga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:01 PM   #6
jrok18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donga View Post
since you're frustrated you could use a small pin and gently prick the bubbles without scratching the touch. the protector might have extremely small holes but you'll have peace of mind
But i keep getting these clearish grayish circles . Idk if they r bubbles but they r there.
jrok18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:49 PM   #7
phoneprotector
macrumors newbie

you should wipe out the any dust or dirt before applying the screen protector, you can use cleaning cloth for that. Then align the screen protector to your cell phone then use a card like credit card when you apply it to the cell phone. I found this tip on how to apply screen protector to your cell phone
phoneprotector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Old Blue
macrumors member

I turned the shower on and waited till it got steamy in the bathroom before putting on the protector
Old Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9
doug in albq
macrumors 65816

It was not hard for me all, not sure what all the fuss is about.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:43 AM   #10
liamkp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
I turned the shower on and waited till it got steamy in the bathroom before putting on the protector
Clears the dust out... Make sure your hands, area, and screen protector is clean and you should be fine.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:44 PM   #11
montycat
macrumors 6502

I have stopped using screen protectors on both my Touch and iPhone. The glass on my iPhone still looks new after a year of being "unprotected". It shares the same space in my coat with keys, coins and other abrasive objects. I also think screen protectors diminish the screens picture quality.
montycat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Ca$hflow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by montycat View Post
I have stopped using screen protectors on both my Touch and iPhone. The glass on my iPhone still looks new after a year of being "unprotected". It shares the same space in my coat with keys, coins and other abrasive objects. I also think screen protectors diminish the screens picture quality.
Your totally full of crap. My old iPhone screen was scratched to *****, luckily the camera stopped working and was replaced under warrantee. You can buy protective screens on ebay for a buck.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:41 PM   #13
Turkeyhut
macrumors newbie

hello

Well from my experience i noticed that if your screen protector is dirty there is a higher chance of bubbles.Also i noticed than if a tiny particle of dust or dirt lands on the screen an air bubble will form, because the protecter cant make contact with the screen because there is dirt in between.When dirt landed on my screen when it was brandnew i used some tape to pick up the dirt.
Good luck

Last edited by Turkeyhut; Aug 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: error
Turkeyhut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:25 AM   #14
80sarcades
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hflow View Post
Your totally full of crap. My old iPhone screen was scratched to *****, luckily the camera stopped working and was replaced under warrantee. You can buy protective screens on ebay for a buck.
The screen on the touch I use (no screen protector) is pretty much pristine except for a small hairline crack where I dropped it one day. This is after a year of me and my two kids playing with the thing day in/day out. Then again, I've never put it in the same pocket with pointed pieces of metal Just my observation, anyway.

Then again, if I had an Iphone I'd probably put some good stuff on it, considering I'd be using it for a long while...
80sarcades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Abscissa
macrumors regular

Edge of credit card or gift card works best. Mine has NO air bubbles in it. Only spots it's risen up is in the top 2 corners from peeling it off. (not to retry, I think it was to remove a piece of dust.) My screen protector has a decent amount of scratches on it. It as in the same pocket as my phone and they got banged up pretty bad, but it's only on the protector.

But then again, people always ask me to apply theirs because I can do them so good.

I'm not bragging (because it's practically a worthless skill haha) but maybe some have better luck than others?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIPR-yTZrE

As it says with the instructions of most. Haha
Abscissa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 02:55 AM   #16
rohit6060
macrumors member

Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy a skin for ipod touch 4(whenever I get it).I've had a 1st gen touch for 2 years and I know how it scratches,specially the back.I'm considering 4 diff. manufacturers. Gadgetshieldz,bestskinsever,bodyguardz & zagg.
I don't mind how complicated the process is,I'll manage putting it on..
I have following 2 major consideration:
1.It should be absolutely clear and invisible.I don't want to mess around with all these pixels I'm paying for...
2.I really love these glass displays in all of apple multitouch devices.Hence the skin should give least of that rubber like feel and more like original.
I would seriously appreciate comments from people who have used either all or most of them...
I'm considering 1 more option.If I put the skin only on the back and go for a pouch smthng like zagg ultraslim..Will that be a good option?Can all these pouches really be sufficient to protect the screen?
rohit6060 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:57 AM   #17
Crackerjax1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donga View Post
Don't do it! Trying to will put scratches into screen protector. Learned that the hard way.
Crackerjax1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 05:41 PM   #18
lincolnmayer
macrumors member

Hi everyone.

It's very simple to get rid of the airbubbles actually. I'm using a brand called ArmorSuit from Amazon which I love.

Firstly, I watched their video on youtube which was very helpful. You really have to use a lot of the solution that they give you. I noticed that there were a few bubbles in the beginning; however, they began to disappear after a few hours of waiting.

So, I think the trick is to use enough of the spray, be patient, and you'll be fine. Hope this helps! I'm not sure how true this is for other brands though. If you want a simple and solid protector, here you go!
lincolnmayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 01:07 PM   #19
eznoh
macrumors member

Get this one: http://store.moshimonde.com/iphone-i...d-touchg4.html

Mike
eznoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 11:58 PM   #20
frank.deale
macrumors member

Look for some of the dry applications that do not require liquid. I've gotten some from Smartphone Experts.
frank.deale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 10:12 PM   #21
dasydream
macrumors newbie

i often ask proffesional ones for it. but it would take extra cost.
dasydream is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 04:15 PM   #22
oneapplegeek
Banned

squeeze bubbles with a credit card
oneapplegeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hflow View Post
I had an iPhone 3G for 2 years, I've had an iPhone 4 for 19 months, and an iPad for a year. none have had a scratch on the screen so far. The iPhone 4 has a bumper, apart from than none have had any protection except I tried a matte screen protector for the 3G, but didn't like the sparkly effect. Not everyone has trouble with scratches.

When I did apply the screen protector, I found it fairly easy to apply without bubbles.

Make sure the screen is clean. I used spectacle cleaner to make sure it was free of dusk and oils.

I lined up the long side, but only let it touch at one corner. Have the rest up in a curve. It is possible to put some downward pressure on the edge of the contact point with the right manipulation of the curve.

Gradually increase the contact area diagonally across the screen.

If a bubble starts to appear, pull a bit back up and try again. If you get a bubble at the same point again, pull more back and wipe with a lint free cloth.
Moonjumper is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 07:50 AM   #24
itouchipodtouch
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrok18 View Post
I flipping give up.
Me too
itouchipodtouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 09:20 AM   #25
sracer
macrumors 68000

Q: How to put a screen protector without getting air bubbles?
A: I go to the mall have it done at the kiosk for $20.

I've tried doing it myself. On the various devices that I own, I have had varying degrees of success. In the end I've concluded that it isn't worth the hassle to attempt it myself.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories