Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:49 AM   #1
mtbdudex
macrumors 65816

Solved! iPhoto last 12 months issue - displays 12+

Well;

This little bugger perplexes me.

For about 30-ish photos, they will constantly show up in iPhoto last 12 months view. Month after month, they stick, others drop off, not these.
I've re-built the photo database, etc. Still there.

Not a major bug, just kinda of annoying.
Any ideas on what I should do, short of physically deleting and re-importing those photos?
Or, is that one way, to re-import and edit their dates??
Sounds like busy work....

Last edited by mtbdudex; Sep 26, 2008 at 11:24 AM.
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
tibi08
macrumors 6502a

That is bizarre. Never seen anything like it. Only thing I can think is to delete them and re-add them to the library.
tibi08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:22 AM   #3
mtbdudex
macrumors 65816

Well;

I've never really opened the iPhoto package and examined the various file structure storage ways for photos.

To make a long story short, somehow there was 1 folder titled "Nov-23, 2006" (I'm at work now, it was in the usual iPhoto naming format) in the 2007 CY top level folder, and all the photo files were in there. Both new and modified had same structure. I was perplexed, and remember reading NOT to manually remove stuff form the folder structure, because iPhoto may hick-up and do weird things.

Well, I did it anyway, I removed both folders to the desktop, did a complete exit/open and re-build the database (takes 60 min for 12,000+ files).

The thumbnails showed up as blank images for those removed files, it was weird they had the file name below, but when I tried to open blank screen.

So, I selected the blank thumbnails, threw those away, delete trash, exit/open and re-build the database (another 60 min).

Now, no thumbnails. Everything looks good.

I then re-import just 1 file, to see what would happen.
(from the original folder version)

It worked, imported correctly, and did not show up in last 12 months view, because the file date was in 11/2006. Did a mass import for the remaining files, they all worked.

So, took me 4+ hours, but now appears I've fixed it.
For the like of me I can't explain why/how those 2 folders got "stuck" there, or those various photo files from distinictly different dates got bunched in same folder.

That mystery is beyond my ability to solve.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
tibi08
macrumors 6502a

If you had just deleted the files from iPhoto then you wouldn't have had to rebuild the database. You could've just backed them up first by exporting them to the desktop.
tibi08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:11 PM   #5
mtbdudex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibi08 View Post
If you had just deleted the files from iPhoto then you wouldn't have had to rebuild the database. You could've just backed them up first by exporting them to the desktop.
I hear ya and thought about that, but the fact that a "wrong" date folder got me perplexed and that's why I did it manually.
I was NOT sure if that bad folder would get deleted, if upon re-import that somehow iPhoto would put them back there, or what.

This database is a legacy iPhoto database from probably iPhoto3, 4, or even earlier. I just keep upgrading and crossing my fingers as the newest versions comes out.

In the end, and if anyone else has similiar issue, do it the easier way as tibi08 mentioned.

-Export files to a desktop folder
-Delete files in iPhoto
-re-import

It that works, that is quickest.
IF not, then manual method I did is there for last resort.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:03 AM   #6
henkemeyer
macrumors newbie

Same problem here, different solution

I had the exact same problem. When I selected "Last 12 months", then scrolled all the way up, there was a small batch of photos from 3 years ago. They were imported from a collection of 9000+ photos last week. Their date was set correctly (May 2005). I browsed into the iPhoto library, found the folder, moved it to my desktop. Back in iPhoto, the pictures became empty frames, so I deleted them. I then imported the folder form the desktop back into iPhoto, and once again, they showed up in "last 12 months". This time, however, they had today's date in the metadata. So, I batch changed them to their original date (in the process, I lost the time information, but I'm not too concerned about that). They then properly disappeared from "Last 12 months". So, I didn't have to rebuild my entire library. But there sure as heck is a bug in there somewhere.

David
henkemeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store