Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:51 AM   #26
stoich
macrumors member

I cant wait until dec 20th 2012 its gonna be like y2k all over again but probably worse lol so ridiculous.
stoich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:28 AM   #27
*Sandy*
Banned

Thanks for a cool read!
*Sandy* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:34 AM   #28
arkitect
macrumors 68040

*Dec. 21st 2012 the END OF THE WORLD!?*

Hooray!
Can't come soon enough…

arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:52 AM   #29
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdrummeraz View Post
That's my birthday
Hmmmm....maybe it's tied to you reaching a certain age?

Hopefully your sister will design us all a totally cool shirt that we can all wear with our stunna shades for the big occasion.
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:44 AM   #30
DigiCatRedux
macrumors member

My Birthday is Dec 21st, so if that's true - somebody better throw me one Hell of a party!
So many ways to come to an ending:
http://www.exitmundi.nl/

Just for the record, I don't think it'll be "the end of the world" - there seems to be a huge confusion about when the Sun actually crosses the galactic plane and lines-up dead-center with the galactic core, vs the illusion of a plane crossing... which happens a lot more often then you might think.
Try twice a year.
Every year, around the time of the Winter solstice, the Sun positions itself so that from our vantage point it appears to cross the galactic core. Six months later, it does the same thing.

When I say illusion of a plane crossing, it's because when this happens twice yearly, the Sun is not actually sitting in direct alignment between the galactic core and the circular plane of the galaxy - it just appears that way from our vantage point. The Sun does not travel around the galactic plane in a straight even orbit - it oscillates, or wobbles up and down during its journey with the Milky Way... and thus, dips above and below the true galactic plane several times along this trip.

So when does a true plane-crossing happen? At a distance of about 25,000 light years from the galactic core, it takes the Sun somewhere close to 240,000,000 of our years to travel one complete rotation of the Milky Way. It is believed that during this trip, the Suns oscillation will have it crossing the galactic plane at best, maybe 5 to 6 times as it rises and falls below the line of the galactic plane - meaning we actually physically cross the plane somewhere in the neighborhood of once every 40,000,000 years or so.
That's quite a time span -
and the last time we crossed the plane? depending on whom you ask, the figure can vary from about 8,000,000 years ago, to 18,000,000. Either way,
it means we're actually moving away from any direct Sun-galactic center-galactic plane crossing.

Considering the Earth is generally accepted as being 4.5 billion years old, this means our planet has seen about 113 or so of these actual crossings.
Still here. Life still crawling around.

So why all the hype? Because it's easier the sell books and tv shows and disaster theories to the public, when you add bad science to an ancient calendar - who's actual start/stop dates are still being debated.
Dec 21, 2012? Probably didn't mean squat to the Maya.

I wouldn't worry about it - personally I'm a little more worked up about what's happening with the U.S. economy at the moment - that certainly is something that could impact myself & a lot of others directly, and disastrously.
DigiCatRedux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:59 AM   #31
Melrose
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Re: "the Maya are long since dead"

The Maya peoples never disappeared, neither at the time of the Classic period decline nor with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores and the subsequent Spanish colonization of the Americas. Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideologies (and structured by the almost total adoption of Roman Catholicism). Many different Mayan languages continue to be spoken as primary languages today; the Rabinal Achí, a play written in the Achi' language, was declared a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005.

(From the Wikipedia article: Maya civilization)
I stand corrected - thanks for the link and the history. I guess what I meant was they're no longer a separate state, they don't practice their beliefs the way they used to (are they the ones with the human sacrifices or was that the Aztecs?) and stuff like that. I could have worded it better.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:11 AM   #32
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Interesting but not worried.

On a side note, I wonder if the PowerBook G5 will be released by then?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:30 AM   #33
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEndeem View Post
I wonder when the next 'apocalypse' will be when 2012 is over? 2013, 2020? Who knows.
Oh no it'll go on and on until the real armageddon that likely didn't stem from a defunct civilisation thousands of years before.

This whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of chaps from around Mexico way wrote a calendar and (some) thing that the world is going to end because their calendar runs out?
Well my calendar doesn't run out, it just loops over. Or should I change my armageddon date to Dec 31st of every year?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:17 PM   #34
KingYaba
macrumors 68040

2012: iPhones have copy/paste
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:26 PM   #35
thunderclap
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoich View Post
So supposedly the world is supposed to end on Dec. 21 2012 or should I say the Maya Calendar ends then. Is this just another Y2k or is this one for real?
It would suck if true. That's my wife's birthday.
thunderclap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:34 PM   #36
calculus
macrumors 68040

Oh course the world will end then, that's exactly how these things work.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the issue of time zones. Will the world end sooner in some countries than others? Could we postpone it by continually putting the clocks back an hour?

Personally I'm still waiting to get my eleven days back...
calculus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:53 PM   #37
question fear
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to question fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculus View Post
Oh course the world will end then, that's exactly how these things work.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the issue of time zones. Will the world end sooner in some countries than others? Could we postpone it by continually putting the clocks back an hour?

Personally I'm still waiting to get my eleven days back...
Isaac Asimov had a short story about that. The apocalypse comes, everyone wanders around in this endless flat boring landscape, while an angel argues against the final trumpet having been sounded. Apparently the angels were supposed to sound the end of the world in 1955, but it's not counted the same way in every culture, therefore the world hasn't ended. The story ends with the main human character waking up and thinking something was supposed to happen but didn't (the apocalypse) and sitting down to draft a plan for a universal calendar system, starting with 1954 or something like that...

It's a cool story. I wish I could remember what it was called.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:39 PM   #38
benflick
macrumors 68020

Oh, no, I graduate in 2012.
Wait, I forgot I don't care!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:30 PM   #39
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Gray-Wolf
It would not end this way, anymore than the moon would blow out of orbit on September 13, 1999.

Bit o' trivia there, anyone know what it is?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:06 PM   #40
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac-Knight View Post
It would not end this way, anymore than the moon would blow out of orbit on September 13, 1999.

Bit o' trivia there, anyone know what it is?
First bit o' trivia: Space:1999

Second bit 'o trivia: You're old
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:07 AM   #41
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoich View Post
So supposedly the world is supposed to end on Dec. 21 2012 or should I say the Maya Calendar ends then.
Miss Jaffa Cake's David Beckham calendar ends on 31st December this year. However, I'm not taking that as a portent of doom and I feel the same way about the Mayan version too.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:42 AM   #42
Desamell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeekDC View Post
Can Kevin Rose tell us if the rumors are true?
maybe someone up in the clouds will leak it to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrose View Post
I stand corrected - thanks for the link and the history. I guess what I meant was they're no longer a separate state, they don't practice their beliefs the way they used to (are they the ones with the human sacrifices or was that the Aztecs?) and stuff like that. I could have worded it better.
My little bro studied the Mayas and Aztecs last year. Both sacrificed virgin women. The Mayan Empire didnt die it went away meaning they broke up and separted you could say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCatRedux View Post
My Birthday is Dec 21st, so if that's true - somebody better throw me one Hell of a party!
So many ways to come to an ending:
http://www.exitmundi.nl/

Just for the record, I don't think it'll be "the end of the world" - there seems to be a huge confusion about when the Sun actually crosses the galactic plane and lines-up dead-center with the galactic core, vs the illusion of a plane crossing... which happens a lot more often then you might think.
Try twice a year.
Every year, around the time of the Winter solstice, the Sun positions itself so that from our vantage point it appears to cross the galactic core. Six months later, it does the same thing.

When I say illusion of a plane crossing, it's because when this happens twice yearly, the Sun is not actually sitting in direct alignment between the galactic core and the circular plane of the galaxy - it just appears that way from our vantage point. The Sun does not travel around the galactic plane in a straight even orbit - it oscillates, or wobbles up and down during its journey with the Milky Way... and thus, dips above and below the true galactic plane several times along this trip.

So when does a true plane-crossing happen? At a distance of about 25,000 light years from the galactic core, it takes the Sun somewhere close to 240,000,000 of our years to travel one complete rotation of the Milky Way. It is believed that during this trip, the Suns oscillation will have it crossing the galactic plane at best, maybe 5 to 6 times as it rises and falls below the line of the galactic plane - meaning we actually physically cross the plane somewhere in the neighborhood of once every 40,000,000 years or so.
That's quite a time span -
and the last time we crossed the plane? depending on whom you ask, the figure can vary from about 8,000,000 years ago, to 18,000,000. Either way,
it means we're actually moving away from any direct Sun-galactic center-galactic plane crossing.

Considering the Earth is generally accepted as being 4.5 billion years old, this means our planet has seen about 113 or so of these actual crossings.
Still here. Life still crawling around.

So why all the hype? Because it's easier the sell books and tv shows and disaster theories to the public, when you add bad science to an ancient calendar - who's actual start/stop dates are still being debated.
Dec 21, 2012? Probably didn't mean squat to the Maya.

I wouldn't worry about it - personally I'm a little more worked up about what's happening with the U.S. economy at the moment - that certainly is something that could impact myself & a lot of others directly, and disastrously.
Not to mention December 21st will be the winter solstice....

Last edited by WildCowboy; Sep 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: post merge
Desamell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:44 AM   #43
MrSmith
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Re: "the Maya are long since dead"
... Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideologies (and structured by the almost total adoption of Roman Catholicism)...
So presumably aliens will be involved.

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:56 AM   #44
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
So presumably aliens will be involved.
Don't forget the Predators.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:05 PM   #45
MartyMoe
macrumors regular

Location: I am not really sure, as I don't have a GPS. It's a total mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEndeem View Post
I wonder when the next 'apocalypse' will be when 2012 is over? 2013, 2020? Who knows.
Zager and Evans, noted cosmologists, seem to think the gradual process will begin sometime around the year 2525.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Year_2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Interesting but not worried.
On a side note, I wonder if the PowerBook G5 will be released by then?
I was so, so, so, so, sooooooo close to saying that. Thank you for saving me!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:10 PM   #46
MacNut
macrumors P6

The world will end when the Cubs win the World Series.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:32 PM   #47
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The world will end when the Cubs win the World Series.
Nah, it's when the Braves win again, which right now, is unlikely.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:36 PM   #48
Victor ch
macrumors 6502a

Well, it would be better than the world ending the day of my B-Day Damm that LHC hahaha. <--Im aware thats its extremely-super-mega-duper-ultra unlikely for the LHC to produce the "failures" required to "end the world".

Victor
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:41 PM   #49
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac-Knight View Post
Nah, it's when the Braves win again, which right now, is unlikely.
Well the world is gonna have to end someday, it is not going to wait for the Braves to get good again.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:50 PM   #50
jojo13
macrumors 6502

yeah i heard that the world woould end in2012 but still, isn't that kinda odd?
At my schoool, everybody is freakin out about that

I think its b*****
maybe, in 2012, Apple wil stop doing computers

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion