Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:51 AM   #26
stoich
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STR8 RIPPIN!! SKITZY!
I cant wait until dec 20th 2012 its gonna be like y2k all over again but probably worse lol so ridiculous.
__________________
- 15" Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, 4GB Protected by Ghost Armor
- Apple Iphone3G 16GB Protected by Ghost Armor
- Apple Ipod 5GB NEW
stoich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:28 AM   #27
*Sandy*
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Always in a path of a Hurricane!
Thanks for a cool read!
*Sandy* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:34 AM   #28
arkitect
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
*Dec. 21st 2012 the END OF THE WORLD!?*

Hooray!
Can't come soon enough…

arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:52 AM   #29
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030
 
TheAnswer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orange County, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdrummeraz View Post
That's my birthday
Hmmmm....maybe it's tied to you reaching a certain age?

Hopefully your sister will design us all a totally cool shirt that we can all wear with our stunna shades for the big occasion.
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:44 AM   #30
DigiCatRedux
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in New England, USA.
My Birthday is Dec 21st, so if that's true - somebody better throw me one Hell of a party!
So many ways to come to an ending:
http://www.exitmundi.nl/

Just for the record, I don't think it'll be "the end of the world" - there seems to be a huge confusion about when the Sun actually crosses the galactic plane and lines-up dead-center with the galactic core, vs the illusion of a plane crossing... which happens a lot more often then you might think.
Try twice a year.
Every year, around the time of the Winter solstice, the Sun positions itself so that from our vantage point it appears to cross the galactic core. Six months later, it does the same thing.

When I say illusion of a plane crossing, it's because when this happens twice yearly, the Sun is not actually sitting in direct alignment between the galactic core and the circular plane of the galaxy - it just appears that way from our vantage point. The Sun does not travel around the galactic plane in a straight even orbit - it oscillates, or wobbles up and down during its journey with the Milky Way... and thus, dips above and below the true galactic plane several times along this trip.

So when does a true plane-crossing happen? At a distance of about 25,000 light years from the galactic core, it takes the Sun somewhere close to 240,000,000 of our years to travel one complete rotation of the Milky Way. It is believed that during this trip, the Suns oscillation will have it crossing the galactic plane at best, maybe 5 to 6 times as it rises and falls below the line of the galactic plane - meaning we actually physically cross the plane somewhere in the neighborhood of once every 40,000,000 years or so.
That's quite a time span -
and the last time we crossed the plane? depending on whom you ask, the figure can vary from about 8,000,000 years ago, to 18,000,000. Either way,
it means we're actually moving away from any direct Sun-galactic center-galactic plane crossing.

Considering the Earth is generally accepted as being 4.5 billion years old, this means our planet has seen about 113 or so of these actual crossings.
Still here. Life still crawling around.

So why all the hype? Because it's easier the sell books and tv shows and disaster theories to the public, when you add bad science to an ancient calendar - who's actual start/stop dates are still being debated.
Dec 21, 2012? Probably didn't mean squat to the Maya.

I wouldn't worry about it - personally I'm a little more worked up about what's happening with the U.S. economy at the moment - that certainly is something that could impact myself & a lot of others directly, and disastrously.
DigiCatRedux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:59 AM   #31
Melrose
macrumors 604
 
Melrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Looking at pixels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Re: "the Maya are long since dead"

The Maya peoples never disappeared, neither at the time of the Classic period decline nor with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores and the subsequent Spanish colonization of the Americas. Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideologies (and structured by the almost total adoption of Roman Catholicism). Many different Mayan languages continue to be spoken as primary languages today; the Rabinal Achí, a play written in the Achi' language, was declared a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005.

(From the Wikipedia article: Maya civilization)
I stand corrected - thanks for the link and the history. I guess what I meant was they're no longer a separate state, they don't practice their beliefs the way they used to (are they the ones with the human sacrifices or was that the Aztecs?) and stuff like that. I could have worded it better.
__________________
32GB Silver iPhone 5s · 13" rMBP Haswell + 21" ViewSonic · iPad 3 · AKG K240 MKII
Design • SEO
Melrose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:11 AM   #32
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Interesting but not worried.

On a side note, I wonder if the PowerBook G5 will be released by then?
__________________
You only live twice, once when you are born, and when you look death in the face. *Basho style poem from 007 YOLT.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:30 AM   #33
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Darkplace Hospital
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEndeem View Post
I wonder when the next 'apocalypse' will be when 2012 is over? 2013, 2020? Who knows.
Oh no it'll go on and on until the real armageddon that likely didn't stem from a defunct civilisation thousands of years before.

This whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of chaps from around Mexico way wrote a calendar and (some) thing that the world is going to end because their calendar runs out?
Well my calendar doesn't run out, it just loops over. Or should I change my armageddon date to Dec 31st of every year?
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:17 PM   #34
KingYaba
macrumors 68040
 
KingYaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Up the irons
2012: iPhones have copy/paste
__________________
Texas: illegally acquired; universally admired.
KingYaba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:26 PM   #35
thunderclap
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoich View Post
So supposedly the world is supposed to end on Dec. 21 2012 or should I say the Maya Calendar ends then. Is this just another Y2k or is this one for real?
It would suck if true. That's my wife's birthday.
thunderclap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:34 PM   #36
calculus
macrumors 68040
 
calculus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Oh course the world will end then, that's exactly how these things work.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the issue of time zones. Will the world end sooner in some countries than others? Could we postpone it by continually putting the clocks back an hour?

Personally I'm still waiting to get my eleven days back...
calculus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:53 PM   #37
question fear
macrumors 68020
 
question fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The "Garden" state
Send a message via AIM to question fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculus View Post
Oh course the world will end then, that's exactly how these things work.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the issue of time zones. Will the world end sooner in some countries than others? Could we postpone it by continually putting the clocks back an hour?

Personally I'm still waiting to get my eleven days back...
Isaac Asimov had a short story about that. The apocalypse comes, everyone wanders around in this endless flat boring landscape, while an angel argues against the final trumpet having been sounded. Apparently the angels were supposed to sound the end of the world in 1955, but it's not counted the same way in every culture, therefore the world hasn't ended. The story ends with the main human character waking up and thinking something was supposed to happen but didn't (the apocalypse) and sitting down to draft a plan for a universal calendar system, starting with 1954 or something like that...

It's a cool story. I wish I could remember what it was called.
__________________
Give blood. Play rugby.
question fear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:39 PM   #38
benflick
macrumors 68020
 
benflick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oh, no, I graduate in 2012.
Wait, I forgot I don't care!
__________________
© benflick enterprises 2010. All rights reserved.
benflick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:30 PM   #39
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030
 
Gray-Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pandora, Home Tree
Send a message via MSN to Gray-Wolf
It would not end this way, anymore than the moon would blow out of orbit on September 13, 1999.

Bit o' trivia there, anyone know what it is?
__________________
"And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.. "
Gray-Wolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:06 PM   #40
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030
 
TheAnswer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orange County, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac-Knight View Post
It would not end this way, anymore than the moon would blow out of orbit on September 13, 1999.

Bit o' trivia there, anyone know what it is?
First bit o' trivia: Space:1999

Second bit 'o trivia: You're old
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:07 AM   #41
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core
 
Jaffa Cake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The City of Culture, Englandshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoich View Post
So supposedly the world is supposed to end on Dec. 21 2012 or should I say the Maya Calendar ends then.
Miss Jaffa Cake's David Beckham calendar ends on 31st December this year. However, I'm not taking that as a portent of doom and I feel the same way about the Mayan version too.
__________________
How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul, leave me my name!
Jaffa Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:42 AM   #42
Desamell
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeekDC View Post
Can Kevin Rose tell us if the rumors are true?
maybe someone up in the clouds will leak it to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrose View Post
I stand corrected - thanks for the link and the history. I guess what I meant was they're no longer a separate state, they don't practice their beliefs the way they used to (are they the ones with the human sacrifices or was that the Aztecs?) and stuff like that. I could have worded it better.
My little bro studied the Mayas and Aztecs last year. Both sacrificed virgin women. The Mayan Empire didnt die it went away meaning they broke up and separted you could say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCatRedux View Post
My Birthday is Dec 21st, so if that's true - somebody better throw me one Hell of a party!
So many ways to come to an ending:
http://www.exitmundi.nl/

Just for the record, I don't think it'll be "the end of the world" - there seems to be a huge confusion about when the Sun actually crosses the galactic plane and lines-up dead-center with the galactic core, vs the illusion of a plane crossing... which happens a lot more often then you might think.
Try twice a year.
Every year, around the time of the Winter solstice, the Sun positions itself so that from our vantage point it appears to cross the galactic core. Six months later, it does the same thing.

When I say illusion of a plane crossing, it's because when this happens twice yearly, the Sun is not actually sitting in direct alignment between the galactic core and the circular plane of the galaxy - it just appears that way from our vantage point. The Sun does not travel around the galactic plane in a straight even orbit - it oscillates, or wobbles up and down during its journey with the Milky Way... and thus, dips above and below the true galactic plane several times along this trip.

So when does a true plane-crossing happen? At a distance of about 25,000 light years from the galactic core, it takes the Sun somewhere close to 240,000,000 of our years to travel one complete rotation of the Milky Way. It is believed that during this trip, the Suns oscillation will have it crossing the galactic plane at best, maybe 5 to 6 times as it rises and falls below the line of the galactic plane - meaning we actually physically cross the plane somewhere in the neighborhood of once every 40,000,000 years or so.
That's quite a time span -
and the last time we crossed the plane? depending on whom you ask, the figure can vary from about 8,000,000 years ago, to 18,000,000. Either way,
it means we're actually moving away from any direct Sun-galactic center-galactic plane crossing.

Considering the Earth is generally accepted as being 4.5 billion years old, this means our planet has seen about 113 or so of these actual crossings.
Still here. Life still crawling around.

So why all the hype? Because it's easier the sell books and tv shows and disaster theories to the public, when you add bad science to an ancient calendar - who's actual start/stop dates are still being debated.
Dec 21, 2012? Probably didn't mean squat to the Maya.

I wouldn't worry about it - personally I'm a little more worked up about what's happening with the U.S. economy at the moment - that certainly is something that could impact myself & a lot of others directly, and disastrously.
Not to mention December 21st will be the winter solstice....

Last edited by WildCowboy; Sep 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: post merge
Desamell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:44 AM   #43
MrSmith
macrumors 68040
 
MrSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Re: "the Maya are long since dead"
... Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideologies (and structured by the almost total adoption of Roman Catholicism)...
So presumably aliens will be involved.
__________________
They are not long, the days of wine and roses: Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for awhile, then closes within a dream.

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:56 AM   #44
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030
 
Gray-Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pandora, Home Tree
Send a message via MSN to Gray-Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
So presumably aliens will be involved.
Don't forget the Predators.
__________________
"And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.. "
Gray-Wolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:05 PM   #45
MartyMoe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: I am not really sure, as I don't have a GPS. It's a total mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEndeem View Post
I wonder when the next 'apocalypse' will be when 2012 is over? 2013, 2020? Who knows.
Zager and Evans, noted cosmologists, seem to think the gradual process will begin sometime around the year 2525.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Year_2525


Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Interesting but not worried.
On a side note, I wonder if the PowerBook G5 will be released by then?
I was so, so, so, so, sooooooo close to saying that. Thank you for saving me!
__________________
Apple //e 48K, 80-column text card
MartyMoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:10 PM   #46
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
The world will end when the Cubs win the World Series.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:32 PM   #47
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030
 
Gray-Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pandora, Home Tree
Send a message via MSN to Gray-Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The world will end when the Cubs win the World Series.
Nah, it's when the Braves win again, which right now, is unlikely.
__________________
"And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.. "
Gray-Wolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:36 PM   #48
Victor ch
macrumors 6502a
 
Victor ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San José, Costa Rica
Well, it would be better than the world ending the day of my B-Day Damm that LHC hahaha. <--Im aware thats its extremely-super-mega-duper-ultra unlikely for the LHC to produce the "failures" required to "end the world".

Victor
__________________
27" Core i5 iMac,2.4GHz Alu MacBook, 32Gb Black iPhone 3G S⃣. "Stay hungry, stay foolish"-Steven Paul Jobs
Victor ch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:41 PM   #49
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac-Knight View Post
Nah, it's when the Braves win again, which right now, is unlikely.
Well the world is gonna have to end someday, it is not going to wait for the Braves to get good again.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:50 PM   #50
jojo13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
yeah i heard that the world woould end in2012 but still, isn't that kinda odd?
At my schoool, everybody is freakin out about that


I think its b*****
maybe, in 2012, Apple wil stop doing computers
__________________
ipod nano 1G, 2G, 3G ; ipod Classic 5G ; ipod touch 8GB
MacBook alu
jojo13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else order a new iMac in Dec. hoping to write it off on 2012 taxes? MikeTheVike iMac 8 Jan 4, 2013 04:37 PM
Is the end of the world (on Dec. 21) going to impact our 27" iMacs shipping? obsoletepower iMac 32 Dec 22, 2012 07:37 AM
iPad Mini: Expected date is Dec 21st. Any chance I won't see it before Christmas? stevo8 iPad 21 Dec 12, 2012 10:01 AM
2012 mbp 13 high end vs low end 2012 mbp 15 Itzmemark MacBook Pro 0 Jun 22, 2012 10:56 AM
Low end or high end 2012 13" MBP? jg216 MacBook Pro 2 Jun 17, 2012 03:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC