Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c43amg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Here's the story, I been backing up my iphone for 5 days now. Today I JB'd the phone and than went to restore all my apps and stuff. When I opened itunes and plugged my phone, itunes told me I had to set it up as a new phone or from a backup. I choose from backup BUT the only options that where in there was from SEPT 16! I just backed up the phone 10 minutes ago.

So how does this work? Now I'm afraid to add things like dvd collections using an app I bought at app store because it wont back things up.

Any help on this?

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
sometimes in the options dropdown the first option just says Iphone without the date and I think that will be the newest one, but other than that I sometimes don´t know either how itunes saves the updates ...

c43amg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
sometimes in the options dropdown the first option just says Iphone without the date and I think that will be the newest one, but other than that I sometimes don´t know either how itunes saves the updates ...

Thats the one I clicked on (the one with no date) and it was an old one. Itunes is scary to use because one can spend so much time adding things to certain apps that say ITUNES BACKS DATA UP but at the end I have not seen this being so?

Anyone have a TRUE restore with all that you saved?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I choose from backup BUT the only options that where in there was from SEPT 16! I just backed up the phone 10 minutes ago.

Yikes.

Well, that might explain why the new backups go so quick - it does nothing. ;)

I reckon iTunes must do incremental backups (i.e. it doesn't make a copy of the entire iPhone, just what has changed since the last backup), in which case maybe you could try restoring the latest backup you see, and then see if additional backup options appear. Extremely unlikely.. but you probably don't have much option anyway other than to use that backup.

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
even though I really don´t understand how intunes saves the different backups
(in the settings in itunes where you can see the different backups is total chaos) it worked pretty well for me so far, even with restoring with a custom made firmware I was able to get all my data back on the phone ...

c43amg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
even though I really don´t understand how intunes saves the different backups
(in the settings in itunes where you can see the different backups is total chaos) it worked pretty well for me so far, even with restoring with a custom made firmware I was able to get all my data back on the phone ...

I just did another back up but first I deleted all other backups. Today is Sept 27 and the time I backed it up was 10:42 AM. After the backup I checked itunes to see what the backup said in EDIT/PREFERENCES/DEVICE and it tells me: 9-1-2008 12:51 AM.

I do have the right time zone and stuff right. Si I'm thinking that itunes is putting the wrong date and time on backups. At least this is the case for my PC running vista. So from now on when I do a backup I will have to take note of THEIR dated date and time. Makes no sense.

Anyways, now I'm going to factory restore and than JB it again and restore from backup to see what goes. I downloaded an app called APPBACKUP which makes a backup of all the apps bought from itunes. I have isilo and a file of 154mb that I backed up along with other stuff like ECCORECORD with 2 recording, TODO with 3 to do's. I want to see if all this will get me back to where I am RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, this is really scary to own an iphone and add so much things to app and so on than loose everything if something happens. I will let those interested know what happens.

c43amg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
OKAY, everything and I mean EVERYTHING restored the way I had it! I did have to jailbrake the phone again to get the JB apps. The cool thing is that when I went to download my apps like 'isilo" I opened it up and it went to the page I was in before I did all this testing! Thats AWSOME! I did not have to download the 154mb file with wifi to use it with isilo (which took forever).

The JB app "APPBACKUP" backed-up the isilo file and added to wherever itunes stores backup files.... So for ME all this is great news. It even backed up my to do's, notes, and other stuff. NICE!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I usually just delete all the old backups (manually) and then manually choose the option to backup again. Never had any problems restoring from backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.