Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:43 PM   #1
majordude
macrumors 68020

Repeat (and loud) Alarms with iCal and iPhone?

I have an iPhone and just started using iCal (instead of Entourage).

Every day I have a task I need to do. So I set up an appointment in iCal that repeats every day at the same time. I set it up with an alarm (Basso, "message with sound").

It works if I have the phone in my pocket (I feel it vibrate) but the alarm goes off once and then simply displays a message on the main screen. Every single cell phone I have ever owned has dogged me until I surrendered to look at the missed call, voice mail or low battery. The iPhone is amazingly (stoopidly?) shy!

Am I missing something or is this a common complaint I'm just not aware of?
majordude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2
majordude
macrumors 68020

NE1?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3
joeconvert
macrumors 6502

No your not missing anything. The calendar notifications on the iPhone and in iCal are pretty weak. iCal especially irritates me given the alert tones. I suspose they could be pretty easily replaced, but since I am using exchange anyway, i switched back to Entourage and use sync services to iCal to handle my iPhone synching.
joeconvert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:00 PM   #4
majordude
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeconvert View Post
No your not missing anything. The calendar notifications on the iPhone and in iCal are pretty weak. iCal especially irritates me given the alert tones. I suspose they could be pretty easily replaced, but since I am using exchange anyway, i switched back to Entourage and use sync services to iCal to handle my iPhone synching.
The alarms repeat in Entourage?

Here is my issue... lets say I need to take a pill every day at 10AM. Let's say I leave my phone on my desk and I have to go to a meeting in another room. I come back at 11AM and with iCal and my iPhone, I have NO AUDIBLE notification that the alarm went off at 10. With other phones, it chimes or beeps or does something every 10-minutes or so until the alarm is acknowledged and turned off.

Old Oct 21, 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
utbyker
macrumors newbie

Have you found a solution yet? I have been looking for the same functionality.
utbyker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:38 PM   #6
timo305
macrumors newbie

Thank you majordude for so clearly giving an example of the weakness of the alarm functionality of the iPhone and iCal.

I have a very similar problem. My wife used to have an old Palm device with a customizable calendar that could sound an alarm continuously or every 5 minutes for I think up to 24 hours until she turned it off.

Now I would gladly pay for an app that would improve the alarm functions of iCal so that when she leaves her iPhone or iPad on her desk or in the kitchen the alarm will keep ringing to reminder her to say, pick up the kids, or feed the cats or whatever.

I realize that there are ways of setting multiple alarms using alarm applications to do this, but that would defeat the purpose and convenience of having a calendar with a built in reminder system for people who don't carry their phone or other device with them at all hours of the day.
timo305 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:30 AM   #7
a username
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

There is a perfect and lightweight App in the Cydia-Appstore, which is called "Notifier" (although inside the app the title says "Reminder", you find it under "Notifier" in Cydia)
It could do simple infinite repeating calendar alerts without draining battery.

Basically it also works under iOS4 (you just have to install "libstatusbar" before you install "Notifier"),
but the PROBLEM is:

The infinite repeating calendar alerts just donīt alert anymore with iOS4.
I think the timer-function somehow changed for iOS4 which breaks the alerts, but the author "Spektro" reportedly said via email he has no plans to fix the app.

Some people have offered a donation and afaik thereīs absolutely no alternate lightweight-app which could replace "Notifier".
It was just perfect for our purpose.

Maybe more people could make him change his mind.

http://modmyi.com/forums/native-ipho...ml#post5384120
http://modmyi.com/forums/native-ipho...ml#post5383952

You could even stop the reminder during the sleep hours. Pretty nifty for such a lightweight app.

Last edited by a username; Aug 7, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
a username is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:05 AM   #8
DEVART
macrumors newbie

Calendar Alarm gives a loud and long tone.

We made a loud and long alarm possible with an app called Calendar Alarm, now available in the app store. The alarm syncs with the default Calendar on the iPhone but you can also edit events in the Calendar Alarm. There are 12 sounds to choose between and the sounds rings for 10 or 30 seconds. In the upcoming version (begin september 2010) we will also add a repeat/snooze.
App store link http://itunes.apple.com/app/calendar-alarm/id367803799
DEVART is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting