Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Time to Go
macrumors newbie

I combined 2 iPod Minis... now it's the wrong color & SN (help).

I am a complete novice when it comes to taking stuff apart. I had the following...

Given to me for free from a friend: A working 4GB Silver iPod Mini 1st Gen with a battery that barely held a charge (and its case was severely damaged... deep swathe cut right through the apple logo and down to the bottom... like it'd been keyed).

Mine: A non-working 4GB Blue iPod Mini 1st Gen (flawless case though) It's been RIP for 2 years. Its name is Sir Hubert.

So I took the guts out of my blue mini. Then I carefully removed the guts from the silver mini. I did this by following a step-by-step guide I found via a google search. I changed the battery from the silver mini's circuitry and then put it in my blue casing.

Somehow, the finished product worked. I honestly don't know how. I am thrilled that I was able to do this. I have never attempted anything remotely close to this before. Super glue, tiny screwdrivers, and lot of patience.

When I hook it to iTunes, the iPod still shows up as silver, identifying as the silver mini (obviously). And the serial number on my case doesn't match the one displayed in the settings (again, duh.) For an obsessive neat freak like me, I am compelled to find a way to sync the serial numbers and the color of the casing displayed on iTunes. More worried about the color, but would like both.

Please help me turn Sir Hubert blue again!
(before my amateur repair job makes him break once more)

Thanks,

David
Time to Go is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod