Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I have an idea for a website that I really want to develop, but I'm not sure where to start. The site would be driven around user-submitted content, such as an image gallery. When users would submit their images, I would want them to have the option of including a description of the image, along with any other related data.

I currently Squarespace to run my primary site, thecreativeone.tv. While it's an excellent WYSIWYG editor, it doesn't seem to be the engine I need for this specific project. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit: After much research, it seems Gallery 2 may be my best option. I currently use GoDaddy for hosting, but I've seen users reporting compatibility issues with installing Gallery 2 on their servers. Then I found out about SiteGround. They offer free Gallery 2 installation, which is a huge plus to me. Has anyone worked with them before? If so are they reliable?

Second edit: Nevermind, it appears PowWeb may be my best option. Their hosting is incredibly cheap and they fully support Gallery 2, as well as other popular scripts. What do you think?

dtyson

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
I have an idea for a website that I really want to develop, but I'm not sure where to start.

You should start by looking at http://www.flikr.com (among others).

I'm not getting anything unique from your description. If you mean you just want a small gallery site for a small community to use, which isn't unique in itself by any stretch, then I'm glad you found something that works for you.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
You should start by looking at http://www.flikr.com (among others).

I'm not getting anything unique from your description. If you mean you just want a small gallery site for a small community to use, which isn't unique in itself by any stretch, then I'm glad you found something that works for you.

This will be far from a small gallery site, as I expect hundreds of visitors every week with uploads each day. I already have a large install base behind my YouTube channel, as well as my blog, so Flickr is definitely out of the question. I want full control over everything, and more.

Anyway I'm all set. I am using HostGator.com to host my site and Gallery 2 to drive the content. Thanks for your help.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Trying to take on Flickr at their own game is a bit like trying to take on YouTube at video or Google at search. These are million/billion $ businesses.

If you want to add your own spin on the idea such as a specific interest or something else unique then go for it, but for general stuff the competition is just too big. And obviously without protection anything unique you do will almost certainly be assimilated by the big boys of Web 2.0.

Are you thinking of a site that combines video/photo/blogging/micro-blogging? I guess it would be beneficial to have all the services under one roof instead of YouTube/Flickr/Twitter.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I understand that, Topher15. I would never directly go head to head with a company like Flickr or YouTube in terms of content distribution. My site will be focused on a specific area. As far as I know, there isn't one site like the one I am creating, so it should be interesting.

When it's up and running, perhaps I'll update this thread with the URL.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
My site will be focused on a specific area. As far as I know, there isn't one site like the one I am creating, so it should be interesting.

When it's up and running, perhaps I'll update this thread with the URL.

Sound good. Looking forward to seeing it.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I know Davids website idea now! It sounds like a good idea, i will give it a go and i am sure most of your other subscribers will too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.