Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:20 PM   #1
fa.ce
macrumors 6502

Hot to disable the automatic iTunes startup when iPhone is connected ?

Hi,
there's a way to disable the automatic iTunes execution when an iPhone is connected with a cradle ?
Seems impossible ...
fa.ce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Go to system preferences, then accounts, then login items and remove the iTunes helper start up item. Then log out and log back in.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:34 PM   #3
fa.ce
macrumors 6502

Thanks, great, and what about iTunes on windows ?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa.ce View Post
Thanks, great, and what about iTunes on windows ?
Get a mac.

I'm not sure how to permanently stop it, but there is an item that starts up when you log in that tells iTunes to open when you connect an iPod/iPhone. Just turn that off. I don't know windows very well so you'll have to do a lot of guess work. The item is called iTunes helper.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:59 PM   #5
fa.ce
macrumors 6502

i'm going to investigate on the windows side.
unfortunately at work we use only win, at home only mac
thanks, again
Old Sep 28, 2008, 02:19 PM   #6
pintnight
macrumors 6502

I'm using Windows XP and I never had iTunes automatically start when I put the iPhone in the craddle. All I had seen that automatically start is the "Microsoft Scanner and Camera" and that is easy to disable. To do that, run "wiaacmgr" from Start->Run, select your iPhone camera, click on Properties and then click on Events tab and select "Take no action" and click OK.

If you want to disable iTunesHelper.exe from running, download and install autoruns from Microsoft. Click on the "Logon" tab, find and select iTunesHelper and either uncheck the box or press delete key to remove it. If you un-check iTunesHelper, all that does is keep it in your list but will not execute iTunesHelper when you log into your computer. After you do that, log out and log back in. This might make iTunes from starting when you plug in your iPhone in the cradle.

Be careful though, don't just disable other applications since that might make your sound stop working or whatever.
pintnight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 02:48 PM   #7
jciapara
macrumors regular

Msconfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintnight View Post
I'm using Windows XP and I never had iTunes automatically start when I put the iPhone in the craddle. All I had seen that automatically start is the "Microsoft Scanner and Camera" and that is easy to disable. To do that, run "wiaacmgr" from Start->Run, select your iPhone camera, click on Properties and then click on Events tab and select "Take no action" and click OK.

If you want to disable iTunesHelper.exe from running, download and install autoruns from Microsoft. Click on the "Logon" tab, find and select iTunesHelper and either uncheck the box or press delete key to remove it. If you un-check iTunesHelper, all that does is keep it in your list but will not execute iTunesHelper when you log into your computer. After you do that, log out and log back in. This might make iTunes from starting when you plug in your iPhone in the cradle.

Be careful though, don't just disable other applications since that might make your sound stop working or whatever.
You don't need to download the autoruns from Microsoft to disable iTunes Helper from Running at startup simply go to Start->Run and type msconfig then go to Start tab and uncheck the itunes helper program and click ok.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 02:55 PM   #8
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintnight View Post

Oh god. and this is why I use OS X and ubuntu.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:13 PM   #9
pintnight
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jciapara View Post
You don't need to download the autoruns from Microsoft to disable iTunes Helper from Running at startup simply go to Start->Run and type msconfig then go to Start tab and uncheck the itunes helper program and click ok.
autoruns is way more powerful than msconfig. It shows a lot more what is being started. In fact, removing useless applications during the startup will make windows boot/login faster and also can make windows run faster by not having so many resources being eaten up.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:16 PM   #10
pintnight
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
Oh god. and this is why I use OS X and ubuntu.
If I can run iTunes in Ubuntu then I would. BTW, I dual boot my computer to Ubuntu but I need to use windows more than ubuntu because I write software for windows.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:52 AM   #11
chargit
macrumors 6502a

syn with iTunes

when you plug in your device and iTunes opens up. click on your device there is a box in the middle of the page towards the bottom that says "automatically sync when this iphone is connected"

just uncheck this box. this is the easiest way to do it!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:49 PM   #12
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kra7os View Post
Thanks chargit worked like a charm, but the option I had to uncheck was "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected"
You might also have a look at iTunes>preferences>devices>prevent ipods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:23 PM   #13
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Na it's not windows only because both my mac and windows pc say the exact same thing "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected".
He isn't talking about iTunes! Look at the post he quoted.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:25 AM   #14
eastercat
macrumors 68040

That's okay. I was trying to figure out what you were talking about in relation to my post. It wasn't until I read JamesMB's post that I realized what was happening.
You had a bit of gender confusion, so I fixed that for you.
Quote:
Oops you are right thought she was replying to me. Sorry eastercat!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:47 PM   #15
billyuf
macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jciapara View Post
That worked for me

So many many thanks!
billyuf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting