Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
So I was using my macbook pro today. I've had it since September 27th 2007. This was money I saved up over a period of a year and a few months and bought it myself. Anyhow, I've never had any problems with the thing, other than a few software quirks here and there (things 97% of mbp users experience that eventually got fixed via software updates). I go to turn my MBP on in class and the ****er doesn't turn on.

The actual machine boots up, but nothing comes on the screen. I try for hours and hours and hours, and it just won't work. I hear the chime and it doesn't boot. I tried a PRAM reset, and the chime is now louder (because PRAM resets volume levels and default configs and all of that stuff), but no dice.

If I leave the computer like this for a few minutes, and touch the back of it, I can feel an intense heat coming from the inside. A heat so intense, it reminds me of touching a hot stove top.

Is this my logic board? My first instinct thought it was my fans, since it gets pretty hot now (all of a sudden) but what does that have to do with the screen? I've heard that a fried logic board experiences the symptoms I mentioned above.

Can anyone help??

Oh, by the way. I didn't purchase applecare because I think the whole idea of it is bogus, and you know what else is funny? I mentioned that i purchased the damn thing on Sept. 27th 2007. What's today's date? Sept. 29th 2008.

Coincidence?

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Is there anything on the screen or is the screen black?

Try to boot in verbose mode. Hold Command + V and startup. Might give you a better idea what is going on...

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Could be an issue with the screen/video card. Do you have an external monitor you can attach it to? TV with DVI or VGA in?

If it displays on the TV/external monitor then the issue would be with the screen, if it doesn't work on the external monitor then it may be the graphics card/logic board.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Could be an issue with the screen/video card. Do you have an external monitor you can attach it to? TV with DVI or VGA in?

If it displays on the TV/external monitor then the issue would be with the screen, if it doesn't work on the external monitor then it may be the graphics card/logic board.

My roommate has an external screen and I plugged my MBP into it. No luck there either.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Sounds like the inverter for the screen is shot. You can try to call apple, and they should give you a quote.

EDIT: It seems you responded as I typed, since the external screen doesn't work, it now does seems like either the video card or logic board are shot.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
My roommate has an external screen and I plugged my MBP into it. No luck there either.

Sounds like it's the graphics card / logic board then. No other good things to try except technician diagnostics @ an Apple store.

Sorry dude..

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Closest apple store is 2 hours away. Looks like I'm really screwed, huh? And even then, the turnaround to replace something like that is what ... a week? 2 weeks? Maybe more?

I can't afford being without my computer for even a day. For one, I'm a full time student and an entertainment blogger, so being without my computer means I can't get my schoolwork done or do my friggin' job.

So it looks like my only option would be to just shell out $2500 bucks for a brand new MBP, which also sucks because they're updating the line in a few weeks. I'd love to be able to wait until then, but I really can't afford to.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Check craigslist under computer services to see if there is anyone closer that can have a look at it. There are a lot of Apple Certified Macintosh Technicians out there that would have the tools and ability to replace the logic board / video card.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Closest apple store is 2 hours away. Looks like I'm really screwed, huh? And even then, the turnaround to replace something like that is what ... a week? 2 weeks? Maybe more?

You can call, they should send a box, but it may cost more.

I can't afford being without my computer for even a day. For one, I'm a full time student and an entertainment blogger, so being without my computer means I can't get my schoolwork done or do my friggin' job.

So it looks like my only option would be to just shell out $2500 bucks for a brand new MBP, which also sucks because they're updating the line in a few weeks. I'd love to be able to wait until then, but I really can't afford to.

You could see about renting a computer for a few weeks, then purchase when the update happens.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

It's 5-7 days turnaround.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Check craigslist under computer services to see if there is anyone closer that can have a look at it. There are a lot of Apple Certified Macintosh Technicians out there that would have the tools and ability to replace the logic board / video card.

Do you have any idea how much those parts cost?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

does your school have labs? if so try to adjust to that while it gets fixed or new ones come

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

However do this: Go and get a estimate; they will do some diagnostics and stuff, then they will tell you they will do a extended diagnostic and possibily a repair; you express you dissatisfaction; you come home; you write a nice email to sjobs [at] apple [dot] com you tell Mr. Jobs you are unhappy with the repair time, you need it for work, and that you will not buy another Mac and if people ask you about it, you will point to your computer and say that's why not! Tell him you can't settle for less and you want a replacement.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
does your school have labs? if so try to adjust to that while it gets fixed or new ones come

Yeah, we do ... but all of my work is on my laptop lol. I have an external HD with time machine backups or whatever, but that's useless without a mac. I've always prepared myself for things like Hard Drive failure, but I never thought something like this would happen. And even then, there's really no way to prepare for it.

And what about my website? I have 3 clients who are waiting on finished layouts from me, in addition to posting on my blog. There's no way I can do that on the school's computers since all of the necessary files/programs are on my macbook pro.

Apple charges close to $3,000 for their computers, but lately, I've been hearing of things like this happening a lot. A friend of mine experienced the same exact thing a month ago. Only difference is, he had only had his for a few weeks.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina

However do this: Go and get a estimate; they will do some diagnostics and stuff, then they will tell you they will do a extended diagnostic and possibily a repair; you express you dissatisfaction; you come home; you write a nice email to sjobs [at] apple [dot] com you tell Mr. Jobs you are unhappy with the repair time, you need it for work, and that you will not buy another Mac and if people ask you about it, you will point to your computer and say that's why not! Tell him you can't settle for less and you want a replacement.

Go get an estimate from where?

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Do you have any idea how much those parts cost?

Depending on the MacBook Pro, probably around $900 for the logic board. It would be steep. But, like others said, get the diagnostics before making a decision, could be some loose cables.

You said how hot it was, I assume it's off now. Maybe keep it off over night, and turn it on in the morning. Who knows....

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Make a road trip to the Apple Store that is two+ hours away, or check for computer service places closer, they may have the ability to look at Apples.

You know what the problem with that is? I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago and my car won't be out of the shop until the end of this week. The month of September has been pure hell for me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.