Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trickytrav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
The promised Facebook App Store update is now online, though it doesn't show through auto update yet. To get the update you'll have to delete the previous version and reinstall it from the App Store

Features include an overhauled appearance similar to the tabbed look of the iPhone facebook web app, as well as a swipe feature for update by different types of updates

In addition the have added a shake to refresh feature, similar to the "shake to shuffle" feature of the 4th gen nano, which can be turned off in the Facebook settings in the iPhone settings menu

The icon has also been updated to a white "f" on a blue background, but doesn't show up until installed.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284882215&mt=8

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
you actually dont need to delete the other app first. just go to the facebook app in itunes and download it and it tells you that its updating the previous app

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
thanks. i've been waiting for this!

(btw, it showed up as an update for me, i didn't have to delete or re-download like you guys said)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Yes. Yes omg Yes.

Thank you finally!!! :D:D:D

First impressions: Awesome interface. I can finally comment on status updates. Very close to the desktop version. But still can't edit your information. Notifications is also there. Omg I love this.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
finally this new facebook 2.0 is awesome! wow... i am really loving this. Thanks Joe for the amazing update to this long awaited app! :)

Now i really have no reason to use the computer to get on facebook. I can do it all from my iPhone! :):)

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
yes... now I can upload and tag pics on the go....

now... as for the video playback.. it seems that it only plays back video linked off of youtube? not the native fb videos?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I really believe they should fix Facebook chat as a number one priority...it's the main thing that separates the web app and the application (among many other things too).

I can barely stand facebook chat on the comp and on the phone.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
yeah, the facebook app needed an overhaul -- this update is a good one. new icon, new features, a bit snappier... awesome!

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I also noticed that http://iphone.facebook.com doesn't work for me... anyone else? all it does is load up the title/menu bar and nothing happens when you touch those parts of the screen.

related? maybe that will be gone for good with this app update?!

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
i like the way itouch apps work better then facebook.com

i actually have the choice if i want to use it (GO OLD FACEBOOK)... although this update isnt that bad FRIEND REQUESTS AGAIN!:):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.