Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:23 AM   #1
Chef55
macrumors member

Comments Page/Guestbook....how to put one on my site?

I have my own domain name and ftp server. I've done a really nice site and uploaded it and really pleased especially as I am of a certain age and not very technical

As this is an animal related site I wanted to add a page where visitors could leave comments good or bad. Is this possible? I cannot see how to do one or maybe I am not looking in the right place. Thank you.

Last edited by Chef55; Sep 30, 2008 at 03:44 AM.
Chef55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:39 AM   #2
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

There are thousands of scripts out there for guest books in various languages. Just use Google. Unless there's a catch you didn't mention, like using iWeb? And yes, you are probably of "a certain age" as your use of comic sans clearly indicates. Hopefully your age doesn't mean you're using this forum against the rules.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Chef55
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
There are thousands of scripts out there for guest books in various languages. Just use Google. Unless there's a catch you didn't mention, like using iWeb? And yes, you are probably of "a certain age" as your use of comic sans clearly indicates. Hopefully your age doesn't mean you're using this forum against the rules.
Of course I've used iWeb...one of the reasons I bought my iMac but am not using mobileme.......regarding use of comic sans..well there isn't exactly a wealth of choice now is there? ...as for your last quote I'll take that as a compliment but think other end of the spectrum
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef55 View Post
Of course I've used iWeb...one of the reasons I bought my iMac but am not using mobileme.......regarding use of comic sans..well there isn't exactly a wealth of choice now is there? ...as for your last quote I'll take that as a compliment but think other end of the spectrum
I actually figured it was the other end of the age spectrum, but thought I'd give you a hard time anyways I use comic sans on my personal blog, though it's not purple.

There was at least one thread on putting a guest book into a iWeb site. Check out the links provided in the thread. The solution looks involved though so be warned. The difficulty is that most guest books rely on a database to store the information, which iWeb doesn't communicate with on its own.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 03:35 AM   #5
Chef55
macrumors member

Right have not managed to embed one onto my site..too complicated for me but have one hosted by Bravenet. I really think with the number of people asking about them that Apple should incorporate guestbooks into iweb. Jmho. and remember that not everyone wants to host thru them. That makes me cross having that darn popup for mobileme every time I start up iweb.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 03:30 AM   #6
gonuts
macrumors newbie

iweb blog user comments...

I've built a website using iweb 08. I publish to a folder and place on server using ftp software. All works fine.
I want to allow users to leave comments on my blog (newsletters)
I've selected "Allow Comments" in the iweb inspector (as per another older post from your link)
The options appears as I'm building the site...cool.
When I go to the online website there is nowhere for anyone to leave a comment. www.gonutsracing.com
(I also lose some formatting such as drop shadows...minor issue though..)
I've read all over the place to find the right answer but am confused as to the easiest way to get this user comment feature working...
Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Chef55
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonuts View Post
I've built a website using iweb 08. I publish to a folder and place on server using ftp software. All works fine.
I want to allow users to leave comments on my blog (newsletters)
I've selected "Allow Comments" in the iweb inspector (as per another older post from your link)
The options appears as I'm building the site...cool.
When I go to the online website there is nowhere for anyone to leave a comment. www.gonutsracing.com
(I also lose some formatting such as drop shadows...minor issue though..)
I've read all over the place to find the right answer but am confused as to the easiest way to get this user comment feature working...
Thanks
I had exactly the same problem as someone had suggested using a blog page but when it was uploaded there was nowhere to leave comments hence my using an offsite guestbook.
I used exactly the same theme as yours for my website
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:15 PM   #8
annaj
macrumors newbie

I think that in order for the comments to work in iweb, you need to have a mobile me account =\

You can do it using html snippets though, I think.
Try this tutorial:
http://allaboutiweb.com/index.php/20...-on-iweb-blog/
annaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development