Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petercw2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2003
I keep reading and seeing people recommend Eudora as their default mail program.

I was hoping that someone(s) here with experience could tell me the pro and cons of why I would want to spend $40 for another mail program.

I think MacMail is just great, especially in my new Pather version, but I would always enjoy a better program.

thanks!

peet

onealc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
Well, for what it's worth, I use Eudora on my PC desktop and Mac Mail on my Mac. I only use Eudora because I hate Outlook, and I've used Eudora for a while, so I'm used to it. I don't think Eudora is worth 40$ at all. I think Mac Mail is really good. If you're interested in trying out an alternative mail program, maybe try Mozilla's "Thunderbird" email program (downloadable for free at http://www.mozilla.org). I like it a lot. I use that on my PC laptop and I love it - very basic, pretty stable for beta software.

Hope that helps some!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I use Eudora because it was a good alternative when Claris em@iler died. It's kept all of my mail that I chose to keep since my early days on the internet.

Is it worth $40? I don't think so but I think it's better than free alternatives in organisation and flexibility. Creating folders and mailboxes is simple enough. It was never pretty and it still isn't although I think the new button icons look better. I bought the original version 4.2 package and I've had to pay for upgrades twice with v5.0 and v5.2. They also charged for v6.0 but I lucked out by a few days. :D If there are drawbacks, I'd say there are two: decoding HTML-based e-mail and the fact that it still doesn't have live scrolling after 6 years or so. (Live scrolling was introduced with Mac OS 8.0, I believe.)

If I decide to switch, I'm not sure whether it will be to Mac OS X mail, a commercial alternative, or something of my own creation. It's got to do multiple languages though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think I've had enough of the cross-platform blues. Many times, I've tried to send e-mail attachments using Eudora and the Windows users can't find them. I see them uploaded but their e-mail application can't find them/decode them.

In those cases, I normally switch to Mozilla and send them again. I did this again today with a couple of photographs I modified.

Well, I imported my Eudora address book into Mozilla and exported it for use in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Eudora is now (only for) history. :eek: :mad:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by bousozoku
I think I've had enough of the cross-platform blues. Many times, I've tried to send e-mail attachments using Eudora and the Windows users can't find them. I see them uploaded but their e-mail application can't find them/decode them.

In those cases, I normally switch to Mozilla and send them again. I did this again today with a couple of photographs I modified.

Well, I imported my Eudora address book into Mozilla and exported it for use in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Eudora is now (only for) history. :eek: :mad:
Eudora is probably the most flexible email client there is with respect to attachments. You should never have a problem with Eudora's attachments. Set your default atttachment format to Apple Double. It is the defined MIME type for sending Macintosh files over the Internet. Every MIME-compatible email client is supposed to properly decode Apple Double attachments. If your recipient can't handle MIME, then perhaps you should try UUencode. UUcode predates MIME, so that just about every email client should be able to handle it. If you are sending email to another Mac user, especially a MacOS 9 or earlier user, then BinHex is good. If your recipients can't handle attachments from Eudora, then perhaps they need a good talking to. On the other hand, if Eudora has trouble with attachments sent to you, then the people emailing you really need a good talking to. They are using a proprietary email system and have probably not enabled MIME.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.