Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardesigns

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Hi guys. I just want to know if it's possible for me to buy an iPhone 3G and use it as an iPod (i.e. use it like an iPod Touch)? I was thinking this was too good to be true, but I read somewhere that activation isn't required anymore..

Thanks,
ARDesigns

ardesigns

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
So I can go to an Apple store, buy an iPhone 3G, and say I want the Go-Phone option. Then, will I be billed at all? Also, if I'm out of WiFi can I just turn off EVDO so that I won't get caught up in a trap where I pay for every kilobyte or something?

Thanks,
ARDesigns

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
So I can go to an Apple store, buy an iPhone 3G, and say I want the Go-Phone option. Then, will I be billed at all? Also, if I'm out of WiFi can I just turn off EVDO so that I won't get caught up in a trap where I pay for every kilobyte or something?

Thanks,
ARDesigns

Keep in mind you aren't going to get the $199 price without a contract.

ardesigns

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
att.com said:
Can I activate iPhone 3G on GoPhone Prepaid service?
No. GoPhone Prepaid is not available for iPhone 3G at this time.

Looks like that won't work. However, jailbreaking is an option, isn't it? I can jailbreak the iPhone and not have to worry about activating it, right? Also, what would the price be if I didn't get a contract?

Thanks,
ARDesigns

Jayden0606

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Bergen County, NJ
Looks like that won't work. However, jailbreaking is an option, isn't it? I can jailbreak the iPhone and not have to worry about activating it, right? Also, what would the price be if I didn't get a contract?

Thanks,
ARDesigns

Well to get the $199/$299 you will have to activate in-store. You can then jailbreak and not have to tether it again at home as it needs to be tethered within a certain time frame (I forget how long, maybe 3 days).

zachplaysguitar

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Richmond, VA
I don't understand. You don't want to activate it ang just use it as an iPod?

Why not just get an iPod touch? It's cheaper, thinner and doesnt have features you don't need.. plus you can get a 32GB

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
how could anyone possibly think that you can just walk into a store and buy an iphone for 199/299$ and thats it???

grimreaper1377

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
Just get an iPod Touch. If you really want the iPhone, you can buy the contract-free version for $599 I think. But I believe it still has to be activated within a certain time frame (30 days?)

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
your post (op) makes no sense. You want to buy an iPhone and use it ilke the touch, why not just buy the touch?

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Wait a second. I didn't even think the iPhone 3G was jailbroken yet. Are we talking about hardware unlocks?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Why not just get an iPod touch?

Heh. I remember reading about some country where the officials confiscated a whole bunch of cell phones in some large public arena for some reason... turns out that they found that whole bunch of the cell phones were non-functional fakes, apparently carried around because they looked expensive or important.

Stepper

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
North London, England
Wait a second. I didn't even think the iPhone 3G was jailbroken yet. Are we talking about hardware unlocks?

You can JAILBREAK a 3G iPhone, you just can't UNLOCK it yet ;)

To answer the OP's question, yeh you can get an iPhone and use it as an iPod if you got money to waste :rolleyes:

if you want an iPhone just to use it as an iPod then why dont you just get an iPod touch:confused:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks,
ARDesigns

I think the OP wants the iphone 3g via Go-Phone option. He's either a verizon/sprint customer because he mentions EVDO and of course EVDO is a CDMA technology. That's where the confusion lies.

If he wanted the no-contract option he will have to pay $599/699 8GB/16GB for the phone or else try to find a better price on ebay/craigslist.

Than he would be better off using the mediamax unlimited $20 data plan only option the ATT Go Phone plan. Remember that mediamax Go data plan does not include any text messages.

ardesigns

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Hi guys. Sorry for all the confusion. Since the iPhone has a camera and a full-functioning mic (i.e. more features) for less cost than the iPod Touch, I was just wondering if I could buy the iPhone instead. Clearly, I cannot, so I'll just get the Touch.

Thanks,
ARDesigns

thisyo

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
True. I think I'll rather put a Turbo sim and get it going with any other mobile network.

Which one is the best known working unlock sim out in the market?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.