Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I need a new clock radio. My Sony Dream Machine finally died after about 12 years.

I've seen iHome models and I think Bose has something out there...

I want something that will let me dock my 3G phone, play what's on it, maybe play AM radio and have a good alarm. Also, I don't want something cheap. I'll pay to have good sound (something that doesn't sound tinny or distort when I crank it to 11). :rolleyes:

EliteKiller

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
I am going to pick up one of these.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=285050&i=158C1MKB&tp=44

p158C1MKB-F-1.jpeg

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
This same one is online at Circuit City for $75. Looks like you can only order it online though. Not sure how long the offer is good for - I think I am going to pick one up though.

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
You must have missed my line that said it's only available online and I might pick one up.

I have no idea what it sounds like, but the reviews looked decent, and I'm using it for my bedroom where I don't need it to be that loud.

If I get it, I'll let you know what it sounds like.

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
I have had both the Mk1 version as well as the Mk2 version. The Mk2 version will work with the iPhone & iPhone 3G without having to put it into Airplane model. It's a great office/bedroom system and best one for the dollar. Sound wise it's obviously not hi-fidelity, as it only has 2 2-3" full range drivers. You *definitely* want the Mk2 version, the Mk1 one will have all kinds of cellular feedback noise, which is why I sold mine and got the new version when I swapped from an Touch to iPhone 3G.

As for local sales, my local Best Buy carries the new one in their store.

OpenWheelFan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
All audio, or just iPod?

I have had both the Mk1 version as well as the Mk2 version. The Mk2 version will work with the iPhone & iPhone 3G without having to put it into Airplane model. It's a great office/bedroom system and best one for the dollar. Sound wise it's obviously not hi-fidelity, as it only has 2 2-3" full range drivers. You *definitely* want the Mk2 version, the Mk1 one will have all kinds of cellular feedback noise, which is why I sold mine and got the new version when I swapped from an Touch to iPhone 3G.

As for local sales, my local Best Buy carries the new one in their store.

Will the MK2 send all audio from the iPhone 3G through its speakers, or does it only work with the iPod application? (In particular, I'm thinking about Pandora, but also applies to alerts, etc...)

Thanks!

OWF

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
Will the MK2 send all audio from the iPhone 3G through its speakers, or does it only work with the iPod application? (In particular, I'm thinking about Pandora, but also applies to alerts, etc...)

Thanks!

OWF

That I don't know for sure, but I don't think it does. The iPod audio can be controlled thru the buttons on top right of the radio and thru the remote, so I believe it only takes audio from the iPod thru the iPod&iPhone mode.

OpenWheelFan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
That I don't know for sure, but I don't think it does. The iPod audio can be controlled thru the buttons on top right of the radio and thru the remote, so I believe it only takes audio from the iPod thru the iPod&iPhone mode.

Ok, cool. If you get a chance, can you try it (maybe by setting an alarm or using Pandora (if you have it) or something), and see if it will play through the Sony's speakers?

Thanks!

OWF

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
I have the iHome iH8. It is very nice. It has excellent sound quality for the size of its speakers. As well as this it is the best alarm i have ever had because it is so easy to use. It has dual alarm one for radio/beeper and one for iPod/iPone/beeper. Didn't get it when i had a iPhone 3G but it does charge the iPhone and play the iPhone's music despite "This accessory ..." pop up coming up. You will need to by a dock adapter though. I use the one that came with my Switcheasy Rebel.

http://www.ihomeintl.com/products.asp?country_id=100002&product_id=10089&dept_id=1003

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Yesterday I'm in Circuit City and I walked past the computer speakers (I have my iPhone in my pocket). Bzzz, bzzz, bzzz! :D

This is 2008 and some (big) companies are still making unshielded speakers! :eek:

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
I have the Sony MK2 unit as well. My biggest complaint is that the FM radio has very poor reception. It has a short wire for an antenna and the reception is bad. I have 2 of these one units, one at home and one at work. The FM reception fades in/out at both locations. Other than that it's works very well with the iPhone. I also like the fact that it has line-in so you plug your computer into the unit and use it as computer speakers. It has 2 alarms and you set the alarm to buzzer, radio, or iPod.

OpenWheelFan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
It has 2 alarms and you set the alarm to buzzer, radio, or iPod.

Does the "iPod" setting mean that you set the alarm on your iPod / iPhone and it plays through the speakers... Or that you set the alarm on the sony, and when the alarm goes off, it just turns on your iPod / iPhone?

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
Does the "iPod" setting mean that you set the alarm on your iPod / iPhone and it plays through the speakers... Or that you set the alarm on the sony, and when the alarm goes off, it just turns on your iPod / iPhone?

It turns on your iPod/iPhone and plays the music. Or if u have iPod mode already on any sounds that are from the iPhone play through the speakers... I think. So if you have an alarm set it should play through the speakers. Btw you can have it on ipod without any music playing so it would be like a proper alarm. I'll check to mkae sure this works soon.

EDIT: yep it works just checked. So you can use either the iHome alarms or the iPhone alarms or both. However with the alarms from the iPhone rather then the iHome you have to dismiss them on the actual iPhone rather then the iHome like the normal alarms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.