Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:14 PM   #1
cordovavol
macrumors newbie

Iphone Ipod battery life help! I am running the Chicago Marathon

next week and need for my battery to last about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. In my training runs, the battery would be almost empty. I have tried putting the phone on the Edge network, lowering the brightness as well as airplane mode. Any other tips? Thanks
cordovavol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2
iblastoff
Banned

are you leaving the screen on or something??? theres no way your iphone would run out of battery after 5 hours of just playing mp3s.
iblastoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:27 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblastoff View Post
are you leaving the screen on or something??? theres no way your iphone would run out of battery after 5 hours of just playing mp3s.
i agree. the iphone batt playing music is insanly good like in the 20-30 hr range
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:25 PM   #4
pbkiller
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to pbkiller Send a message via Skype™ to pbkiller
Turn the 3G off, bluetooth and wifi off, and location services off. That way you should have more battery, works for me...You dont need them when ur running anyways right?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Small White Car
macrumors G4

A better place to start would be the race rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon FAQ

Can I run with an iPod/headphones?
No. The use of headphones and other music devices during the event is prohibited and grounds for disqualification. USATF, the governing body for long-distance running and track & field in the U.S., adopted the rule in an effort to increase runner safety. The Bank of America Chicago Marathon is a USATF-sanctioned event.
See here.

So the battery thing doesn't really matter. Sorry!

Last edited by Small White Car; Oct 2, 2008 at 12:50 AM.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 07:28 AM   #6
cordovavol
macrumors newbie

Obviously you are not a runner b/c EVERY marathon has that rule and more than 1/2 of the participants in EVERY race use MP3 players. They will disqualify you if you win, but my 4 1/2 hour finishing time will not put me on the winner, winner chicken dinner stand.

Thanks for all the tips on the battery saving techniques!
cordovavol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 06:33 PM   #7
dkeninitz
macrumors regular

I'm assuming you have a 3G phone, and that you've downloaded the 2.1 update. My 3G battery life improved dramatically as a result of that update. Previously, I was getting about 6 - 7 hours, with 3G, Bluetooth, WiFi, location services and push turned off (in favor of fetch at 15 min. intervals for three mail accounts), and moderate use of the phone for calls and checking e-mail and the web. Now I easily get twice that with 3G enabled, and occasionally Bluetooth as well.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

Run faster ??

Seriously though, good luck in the marathon. Just got my acceptance for London 2009 through today!!
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting