Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1
nvjusme
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to nvjusme
I have 2 Iphones, can we share apps and video and music?

My wife is getting an Iphone in 7 days and I already have one and I was wondering if anyone knows if we can share apps that I buy or download for free.......also can we share music and videos that I download from Itunes or upload from my pc?

What can we share, if anything?
Thanks
nvjusme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

yes if you sync from same computer or authorize her computer
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:58 AM   #3
gwerhart0800
macrumors 6502

A bit more detail on app sharing ...

You can "share" apps with up to 5 computers by authorizing the itunes on those systems with your account. Any iPhones or iPod touches that are synced to those systems will be able to sync any application purchased with your account. The "sharing" part occurs this way:

1. purchase an app on one of the authorized systems using your account.
2. on one of the other systems, browse to the same app in the app store and start the purchase process.
3. iTunes will come back and state that you have already purchased the app and ask if you want to re-download it.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:16 AM   #4
xattica
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwerhart0800 View Post
You can "share" apps with up to 5 computers by authorizing the itunes on those systems with your account. Any iPhones or iPod touches that are synced to those systems will be able to sync any application purchased with your account. The "sharing" part occurs this way:

1. purchase an app on one of the authorized systems using your account.
2. on one of the other systems, browse to the same app in the app store and start the purchase process.
3. iTunes will come back and state that you have already purchased the app and ask if you want to re-download it.
Thats means that you can purchase just one time and install it on 2 iphones?
For example you can dload beejive to an iphone, then install it on other iphone for free?

Last edited by xattica; Oct 3, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
xattica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

I tried this with Spore on my girl's iPhone. Every time I go to the store on her laptop and use my account info, it starts the purchase process (Are you sure you wish to purchase this app?).
Knowlege Bomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
I tried this with Spore on my girl's iPhone. Every time I go to the store on her laptop and use my account info, it starts the purchase process (Are you sure you wish to purchase this app?).
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:55 AM   #7
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

YES, you can use your puchased Apps on your girlfriends iPhone. If you are using two computers (yours & girlfriends) then BOTH need to have YOUR account on each and both need to be authorized with your account. Your girlfriend CANNOT use any other account or she will pay again. As stated above, you can do this on up to 5 computers.

When you are on HER computer and click on the purchase button of the App that you have already purchased, IT WILL ASK "Are you sure you want to purchase this App?" click yes, it will then say you have already purchased do you wish to down load again. Select yes and you will now have two for the price of one.

Again, make sure that she is on YOUR account and authorized or you will pay again.

My wife and I do this all the time with a classic and 3G iPhone

Good Luck
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:05 PM   #8
normwood
macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hijack, but I have a related question.

How are App updates effected when two iPhones on the same iTunes accounts are sharing and App?

Are both iphones able to get the updates!

Thanks much!

Steve
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Vandam500
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Vandam500
Quote:
Originally Posted by normwood View Post
Sorry to hijack, but I have a related question.

How are App updates effected when two iPhones on the same iTunes accounts are sharing and App?

Are both iphones able to get the updates!

Thanks much!

Steve
Can someone answer this question please?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:19 PM   #10
DPA
macrumors 65816

Location: trapped as a prisoner of a purple aurora and an aluminum device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandam500 View Post
Can someone answer this question please?
Both iPhones will show that update(s) are available in the App Store but if one iPhone downloads it and the other doesn't then both don't have the update. If you update on your computer and sync both iPhones, then the update will be on both iPhones. That help?

David

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting