Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released MobileMe Control Panel 1.2 (for Windows).

This update provides better support for syncing a large number of contacts (more than 2,000) and prevents syncing of data between Microsoft Exchange Server and MobileMe, a configuration that is not supported.

The update weighs in at 1.6 MB and requires Windows XP Home or Professional SP2 or Vista SP1 or later, iTunes 8.0.1 or later, and a MobileMe account. MobileMe Control Panel was last updated on September 9th.

Article Link

anothergene

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2004
Lack of Exchange Support

prevents syncing of data between Microsoft Exchange Server and MobileMe, a configuration that is not supported.

So what exactly does this mean? I keep all my contacts and calendar on our exchange server. Isn't that how most organizations with exchange work? This is still useless to me, especially if they haven't got proxy support yet.

Thank God Plaxo still works.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F137 Safari/525.20)

Perhaps the license or whatever they have for exchange doesn't allow syncing with the server, or it could be buggy and lead to data loss so they have disabled it till they can make it work.

I guess mobileme is supposed to be the server effectively, so syncing with another server seems sort of useless.

travishill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
So what exactly does this mean? I keep all my contacts and calendar on our exchange server. Isn't that how most organizations with exchange work?

...and in that scenario they expect you to point your iPhone directly at the Exchange server rather than MobileMe. You don't really need MobileMe if you work with an Exchange server all the time...

sneakyob

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
...and in that scenario they expect you to point your iPhone directly at the Exchange server rather than MobileMe. You don't really need MobileMe if you work with an Exchange server all the time...

But what do you do if you have all your contacts and calendar on the exchange server and you move jobs. Is there anyway to get the contacts from the phone, to start syncing to Mobile Me?

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
But what do you do if you have all your contacts and calendar on the exchange server and you move jobs. Is there anyway to get the contacts from the phone, to start syncing to Mobile Me?

No. If you remove the contact and calendar exchange sync from your phone, all that information will disappear instantly.

The best way would be to export all your contacts/calendars to files before you leave your job. Then import them to your new job's exchange account and setup your phone with the new exchange account. Or you can import it to outlook on your home computer and sync via iTunes.

anothergene

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2004
mobileme exchange and proxies

What about those people who do not have an iPhone? What about those companies that allow only corporate supplied smart phones to connect to their exchange servers and don't support the iPhone? What if I just want to keep one set of contacts and calendars between work and home.

I fall into all three cases. The first because I have a year and half left on my current contract and also the data plans suck up here in Canada. The second scenario because I work for a Canadian telco that is in direct competition with Rogers so there has been an official "No iPhone" edict sent out. Unless of course you are the CEO or President. <cough>hypocrites</cough>

If Plaxo can do it I see no reason why Apple cannot. As far as outlook is concerned, it's my default calendar and address book. Who cares if they are in a pst file or on an exchange server?

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Sync with Office XP (2002)

Has anyone tried syncing with office XP (2002)?

My dad has just got a new mac with mobileme. All his contacts etc are on his old dell laptop with office xp on.

I notice apple only supports 2003 upwards but will it still work. I certainly dont want to lose all his details!!!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I don't like the fact that every iTunes/QT update has to be full-sized. My internet connection has better things to do.

A small download and install I imagine helps a lot with reducing problems by having update installs. Unless you're on dial up, most users can take a few Mb. Don't see too many people grumbling about other Apple updates :rolleyes:

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I don't like the fact that every iTunes/QT update has to be full-sized. My internet connection has better things to do.

On the Windows side, I generally download and install the latest version of QuickTime Player first and iTunes later (or skip it).

One downside, the Apple Software Update constantly being installed on my Windows box even I unchecked the box.

Nov 6, 2007

Learned the hardway dude - never keep your personal stuff at work.I was laid off during a company buyout in 1996 (actually, eventually they shut down out entire office and moved everything to Florida).. when my day came:

1) They called me to HR.
2) Told me I was no longer needed.
3) Handed me a box and escourted me back to my desk.
4) I was not allowed to touch the computer
5) I had to squabble with them about taking books I bought from a bookstore on software I needed to learn. Thank God I used the reciept as a book mark, as I had to prove it was mine.

At another company, I bought something for work and they never allowed me to expense it. when I left, they told me I could not take it. I flashed the reciept at them and said, you are really going to aruge about $50 for something that your not even using?

Also, many companies make you sign an agreement that anything on their computers/servers becomes property of the company. So, if you put your personal contacts, etc on their. then it can be construde as stealing if you try to take that information (it can be ruled, "well, if your taking that; whatelse have you taken from us?").

eggshelly

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Ok, here's how you do it

This is painful, but if you have Windows, it seems to be the best way (start with iPhone unplugged):

1.) Go to Control Panel, click on MobileMe
2.) Sign into MobileMe, go to the Sync tab
3.) Manually sync your contacts from MobileMe with your Windows Address Book
4.) Delete your MobileMe account off your iPhone (good riddance)
5.) Plug in your iPhone into the computer, iTunes opens
6.) Go to Info Tab in iTunes and sync your contacts with your Windows Address Book.

Yay! Seriously though, there seems to be some massive reality distortion when it comes to Apple products. They should really open up their software and allow for some real innovation and quality to take place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.