Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Oct 4, 2008, 12:28 AM   #1
maddogeco
macrumors member

giving a ipod as a gift with music on it already?

OK here's my plain i want to give my brother a new ipod nano for his birthday (hes in the uk at the moment im in Australia) i was going to buy it here load it up with a few of his favorite cds then put it back in the box and send it to him.

how does that work with the ipod only syncing with one computer (or so im lead to believe i've never had one) obviously id like it to work fine with his computer when he gets it.

if any one can shed some light on the situation id be very grateful
maddogeco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 12:32 AM   #2
EricNau

Unfortunately, that won't work out so well. He won't have the ability to add his own collection without erasing the music already on the iPod. (When he tries to sync it with his computer, all of the music already on the iPod will be erased.)
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 01:11 AM   #3
angrywaiter
macrumors member

Yeah but there are programs on the internet that can copy the content of an ipod to a pc.

The programmes vary as to which ipod is being used. Ipod Touch and iPhone are tricky, but most ipod content copies have been modified to work with them now.

Do a little research, send him an ipod with music on it and a disc/memory stick with the programme on it. When he gets it he should load the programme, use it to copy the content to his pc, then sync ipod, then reload the music using his itunes.

Messy but possible and worth it if you're gifting him a couple of gigs of music !!

Check out Sharepod, Floola and Yamipod.

Last edited by angrywaiter; Oct 4, 2008 at 01:27 AM.
angrywaiter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Clownius
macrumors newbie

If it were me i would just copy the albums that he likes onto a little flash drive and send that as well in the package.

I'm Aussie too, so i know that u can get a 2gb one for like 20 bucks. so pretty cheap well worth the money rather than the hassle of trying to use those other fickle retrieval programs

Although my idea kinda gets sent out the door if you want to copy a rather large amount of music that makes my idea too expensive. haha

Last edited by Clownius; Oct 4, 2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: typo
Clownius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 05:10 AM   #5
maddogeco
macrumors member

well then i think Mr Jobs has lost himself a sale i might just get the new zen or iriver spinn that i think work on any computer though windows media player or xnjb on mac with no lock down worries (i love openness)
thanks for you help guys
maddogeco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 05:21 AM   #6
hexonxonx
Banned

I think the best thing to do would be to give an iTunes gift card so the person receiving the iPod can go to iTunes and pick out the songs he/she wants and can then put them on the iPod. I think that would be a very fun thing to do.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod