Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setiman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Greetings in the name of all distributed computing. Like the sands of time pass through the hourglass, leaving less and less until depletion, so too do the days of the first phase of the SETI@home project. SETI@home was the prototype project that opened the doors and proved that distributed computing would actually work, and work very very well.

SETI@home began a new and wonderful era in the world of research. I personally doubt that the founders of the project ever imagined that they would achieve the number of participants that they have over the past few years. SETI@home was the "Big Bang", the discovery of the first cell, protein and the beginning of the very first road. Since its inception the journey down that road has led to many crossroads. Turning at those crossroads led to other projects involving biomedical research. Still others have led to technological discoveries, helped feed the poor, raised the awareness and helped the less fortunate to afford medical exams, helped save many square miles of our planet from devastation, is now beginning to map the beginnings of various species found on our planet, is also now working on refining weather predictions. The list is endless.

However, as endless as the list may be, nothing can stand in the way of progress, not even the foundation of all distributed computing. A few short years ago, little did Kinguni and the small group of others who formed the first distributed computing team here at BBR, then DSLR, know that it would lead to the formation of so many other teams, all working for the betterment of mankind. Little did they know that their small team would grow to nearly 3,000 members. Little did they know that they would amass in excess of 7 MILLION completed work units. Little did they know that they and all of the forthcoming offspring teams would all achieve such high levels of standing in the world rankings of their various projects. Yet all of this has in fact come to fruition.

Team Starfire is currently ranked seventh in the world. Team AnandTech, whom we have developed a great rivalry and some truly fantastic friendships with over the past couple years, currently resides in sixth place. Our rivalry has taken many turns over the past few years. A few times we led them in the standings. They are a formidable team and have some truly energetic members who achieve unbelievable results when they put out their call for assistance to keep us behind them in the standings. Now we of Team Starfire, are putting out the call to you for your assistance.

Join us in this race for science and join us in the making of history as we begin this final push to become the 5th ranked Seti Team in the world. Come on over to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/seti and check us out. And if you like what you see, join us in our endeavor!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I really hope that no one wants to switch to this team - and that if you're working on seti for MacRumors, the only thing you're even considering switching to is Folding for MacRumors - the #1 (not #5 :D) Mac Team.

D

Selecter

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2003
West Virginia
I hate to say it, but I dont see the point in seti@home anymore. Hasnt that basically been winding down as far as useful research goes? Same thing goes for RC-5 - encryptions can be broken. SHOCKER! :D

I'll stay folding, thanks.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah same... why are they recruiting at a place which already has a team... what the hell is this?

Isn't this spam?

Reporting back to your team.

They have a no mass recruit policy.

good Day sir.

Kinguni

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
I'd like to thank MrMacman for bringing this to my attention. We seem to have someone who is trying to make our team look bad, which is who this "Setiman" is. No team in their right mind would use such tactics, and we have a policy in place which set's out how a member may recruit.

I would like to find out who this person is though, since yours is the 3rd board that I know of that he has posted this message at. It's is a copy and paste of a post that went into several of our own forums, when it was allowed by the hosts of those forums.

Kinguni,
Founder BroadbandReports.com Team Starfire SETI@Home
broadbandreports.com moderator

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I really hope that no one wants to switch to this team - and that if you're working on seti for MacRumors, the only thing you're even considering switching to is Folding for MacRumors - the #1 (not #5 :D) Mac Team.

D

It seems the moderator of BroadbandReports wants a moderator (of this site) to give the IP of this guy to track him down.

Obviously a misunderstanding, since we have 2 DC teams hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.