Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

iPhone Publishing

Category: Apple Software
Link: iPhone Publishing
Description:: Whether on an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you will be able to dazzle your audience with the finest content available in the App Store. 2D or 3D, touch or tilt if you can think it, you will be able to build it. Unity iPhone Publishing ships on October 22, 2008!

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2008, 09:28 PM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G5

I'd better get back to my unfinished Apple red tape... I have big plans for Unity + iPhone!
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:30 AM   #3
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I'd better get back to my unfinished Apple red tape... I have big plans for Unity + iPhone!
At either $400 or $1500 a license, it seems a bit pricey though. I'm not clear on what Unity does that the standard iPhone SDK doesn't already do. Doe it just automate gaming functions that would normally have to be hand-coded?

Last edited by jayducharme; Oct 5, 2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: syntax
jayducharme is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:00 AM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
At either $400 or $1500 a license, it seems a bit pricey though. I'm not clear on what Unity does that the standard iPhone SDK doesn't already do. Doe it just automate gaming functions that would normally have to be hand-coded?
It's a game engine--so you don't have to roll your own. A time-saver. And it's $400-$1500 PLUS the Unity license itself (I bought the high-end Pro version and am happy with it) but I think anything in the hundreds or thousands is very fair for software development: if you don't plan to sell enough to cover that, you may as well not waste your time anyway.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:47 AM   #5
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Well, it's cheaper than Torque, which the only other competitor in this area so far. And yes, technically there's nothing you can do with Unity that you can't do by hand-coding...that's true for every single game engine ever made, but it's also like saying there's nothing you can do with a modern code compiler that you couldn't do by manually entering 1s and 0s with a bunch of switches.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion