Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

CNN hands over info on author of Steve Jobs rumor

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: CNN hands over info on author of Steve Jobs rumor
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Trip.Tucker

Much good that it will do as the poster more than likely hid his trail.
Trip.Tucker is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2008, 09:36 PM   #3
macfan881
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to macfan881
good this guy deserves to be behind bars..
macfan881 is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan881 View Post
good this guy deserves to be behind bars..
I think that's a bit extreme.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:20 PM   #5
DMann
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivix View Post
This all depends on how adversely this rumor has affected stock holders' portfolios.
DMann is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Rivix
macrumors 6502a

CNN should be in more crap than the source. It was them who published this rumor without verifying anything.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 05:04 AM   #7
nstrudwick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
CNN should be in more crap than the source. It was them who published this rumor without verifying anything.
But we shouldn't also forget the lazy journalists and paranoid stock market people who picked up this rumour and reacted to it without bothering to check whether it was true. This is the curse of so-called "citizen journalism"!
nstrudwick is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 05:06 AM   #8
Rybold
macrumors 6502a

CNN iReport responsible for Steve Jobs' heart attack rumor, $9B loss in Apple, S.E.C.

Many news websites have recently added features that allow users to post breaking news from their cell phones, especially iPhones. As a result of this...

"CNN discovers downside of 'citizen journalism'
The banner at the top of CNN's public journalism web site iReport.com reads, "See it first. Your Stories. No Boundaries. You won't believe what people are uploading."
Indeed, on Friday morning, boundaries were loose. An iReport story posted by a "Johntw" at around 9 a.m. EDT with the headline "Steve Jobs rushed to ER following severe heart attack" entered the Internet rumor mill, landing on news site Digg.com and spawning dozens of nervous postings on micro-blogging site Twitter.com. By 9:25 am, the widely read online magazine Silicon Alley Insider had picked up the item.

Apple stock dropped with incredible speed on the strength of the rumor. The company's shares fell to $95.41 from $105.27 between 9:40 and 9:52 a.m. - 9 percent - before Apple denied the report. After describing the content as fraudulent, CNN confirmed Friday that a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation is under way in regard to the "citizen blogger" post, which caused a $9 billion loss in Apple shares before the post was debunked. The posting on iReport was "not vetted or reported by CNN journalists," according to a CNN statement.

On Tuesday night, CBS' mobile phone application, which allows users to upload pictures and video directly to CBSeyemobile.com, published sexually explicit pictures (one of a woman bent over her kitchen stove, her skirt hiked up, according to Ad Age magazine). On Wednesday, both CBS and its advertising partner, Google's AdMobs, which places advertisements next to the Eyemobile videos, issued statements about the incident http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNIV13B9E4.DTL

"In addition to CBS and CNN, Fox News and the Associated Press have iPhone applications that allow users to submit images."

The similar iPhone App from CBS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBSeyeMobile.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	138045  

Last edited by Rybold; Oct 5, 2008 at 05:15 AM.
Rybold is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 05:39 AM   #9
Flhusky
macrumors 6502a

?
As long as its unfiltered and unmoderated things like this will happen.
Flhusky is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 05:43 AM   #10
efp1
macrumors 6502

Sites such as these should be heavily moderated.
efp1 is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:08 AM   #11
DYER
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to DYER Send a message via AIM to DYER Send a message via MSN to DYER Send a message via Skype™ to DYER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstrudwick View Post
But we shouldn't also forget the lazy journalists and paranoid stock market people who picked up this rumour and reacted to it without bothering to check whether it was true. This is the curse of so-called "citizen journalism"!
I would not say it is due to citizen journalism but as rightly pointed out CNN's lack of sense on verifying that SJ had indeed had a heart attack. (Is it just me or did CNN also publich SJ's obituary a month or so back or was that somone else "scratches head")
Too many news companies are taking info the get for granted today its an absaloute freaking disaster.
DYER is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:12 AM   #12
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Responsible journalism?

What's that?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:31 AM   #13
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYER View Post
Is it just me or did CNN also publich SJ's obituary a month or so back or was that somone else "scratches head"
No, that was Bloomberg, I believe.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:33 AM   #14
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Actually, two things about that article bugged me even more, the references to "ordinary citizens" and "citizen reporters." So, are professional journalists extraordinary citizens, or are they alien reporters? Either case, it shows a lack of understanding and disdain for the public and an over-inflated sense of self-importance among those that produce the news. And I do mean produce.

JNB is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 09:02 AM   #15
pmpknetr21
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
Actually, two things about that article bugged me even more, the references to "ordinary citizens" and "citizen reporters." So, are professional journalists extraordinary citizens, or are they alien reporters? Either case, it shows a lack of understanding and disdain for the public and an over-inflated sense of self-importance among those that produce the news. And I do mean produce.
Very well said; I couldn't agree more.
pmpknetr21 is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 09:23 AM   #16
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpknetr21 View Post
Very well said; I couldn't agree more.
Although, in balance, there are fairly hot legal issues at the moment concerning the similarity or difference between bloggers and others outside the mainstream news media and insiders -- it's currently still an open legal question in the US as to which policies regarding source privilege, press credentialing, etc. In fact even in the computer industry, bloggers have not traditionally been treated like other press members in terms of being credentialed for events like MacWorld -- that has only started to change recently.

As a comparison, you might just start providing counseling services to people either as a pro bono service or perhaps through the guise of some kind of consultation that waived the requirement that you be licensed. You might even be quite good -- better than me -- and attract a significant number of clients. However, that would not mean that the legal privilege relationship my conversations with my patients have would automatically apply to your conversations with your clients. There's a big legal difference there.

The same has been very true recently for bloggers and others in the newsmedia. In CNN's case, what kind of classification these individuals has can be very important in terms of their obligations, e.g. to divulge sources, etc. I think that, while the law has to catch up with the way the world works today, the media can also be forgiven for being cautious in ways that may protect them legally given the current uncertainty.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:08 AM   #17
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No, not at all. It is not a serious crime to fraudulently cause millions of investors to lose millions of dollars?! It is not a serious crime to short a stock (bet on its falling) and then create a rumor that will cause that stock to fall so that the criminal can cash in on it?!

Seems like a serious crime to me. I would like to see this person pay, maybe through some serious public service if this was just a stupid person who though it was funny or something. Jail would be appropriate if it was a well thought out attempt to defraud people.
carlgo is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:40 PM   #18
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Deliberately posting false information to an unmoderated service intended for factual news items is an action with intent. An intent to cause damage. Damage was caused.
coolfactor is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 02:05 PM   #19
reverie
macrumors regular

What bothers me about this article is that it insinuates that it could be possible that Steve Jobs actually did have a heart attack.

The AP reporter claims that Steve was "extremely" thin, which is not true as he is very thin, but not extremely so. The most correct description would have been that he looks a lot older, as his face has become gaunt while he still carries quite some body fat.

She also wrote that he has remained completely quiet on the health subject, which is also not true as he mentioned it on the last keynote and also gave more detailed information to a few reporters off the record who confirmed that he is sick but does not have cancer and is not in terminal danger.

The AP reporter is glossing over thos details, thereby putting new fire under the rumor.
reverie is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 02:33 PM   #20
Rybold
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by efp1 View Post
Sites such as these should be heavily moderated.
I agree completely ... but hey, we both read what the article said - all of those
incidents apparently were not moderated until after they had been posted.
Rybold is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 03:16 PM   #21
JeffTL
macrumors 6502a

What gets me is why CNN is allowing a site associated with their news organization to have less moderation and fact checking than Fark.com. It sounds all cute and "Web 2.0," but it leaves a lot of room for crimes like securities manipulation and libel.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 04:03 PM   #22
xxchefxx
macrumors member

Steve Jobs Suffers A Fake Heart Attack: Apple Shares Tumble

Steve Jobs is certainly on someone's hitlist these days, especially since a CNN site reported that the Apple boss just suffered a heart attack and was rushed to hospital.

Of course, Steve and Apple were as surprised as anyone to find out that he was again at death's door. Even more surprising - and alarming - was the fact that the fake story dragged Apple's share price down to its lowest point in a year. The US Securities and Exchange Commission is now on the hunt for the author.

An excerpt from the report on CNN's, citizen journalism site, iReport, read:
"Steve Jobs was rushed to the ER just a few hours ago after suffering a major heart attack. I have an insider who tells me that paramedics were called after Steve claimed to be suffering from severe chest pains and shortness of breath. My source has opted to remain anonymous, but he is quite reliable."

Recently, Steve Jobs actually managed to die according to Bloomberg, who mistakenly printed his obituary.

The new fake report was pulled fast and CNN has been dodging flak since. See a screen grab of the pulled report, courtesy of ZDnet
xxchefxx is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:53 PM   #23
DreamPod
macrumors 6502a

Calling it a $9 billion loss is quite the gigantic exaggeration, only designed to get a lot of attention. Their company was worth $9 billion less for a small amount of time, sure - but the only way it would have actually lost that much money would have been if EVERY share of stock were sold at that lower price. Guess what, that's not even possible
DreamPod is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 01:02 PM   #24
wHo_tHe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
No, professional journalists are not necessarily extraordinary, but the process of producing professional journalism includes several stages of confirmation and review to prevent deliberately fabricated erroneous information from reaching the public.

Citizen journalism can be a very powerful force, but this story illustrates one of the very significant pitfalls of publishing unreviewed, unconfirmed information.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:53 PM   #25
nkawtg72
macrumors 6502

just maybe...

does anyone else think that maybe this was part of Phase Two of the $300m Microsoft strategy?

no matter, in the spirit of Personalizing Success and Nationalizing Failure, I recommend that Congress cut Apple and it's investors a check for $9billion since it wasn't Apple's fault that some idiot decided to play Walter Cronkite.
nkawtg72 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion