Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:59 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

App Store successful, but shows flaws

Category: Apple Services
Link: App Store successful, but shows flaws
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Raid
macrumors 68020

I agree with the article that iTunes is becoming a little too bloated for it's own good. I would hope that after the dust settles that iTunes will just be the media manager application for OS X, perhaps iSync needs to be revamped to take care of the syncing and iPhone/Touch application store.

One thing that wasn't in the article was the App stores lack of shopping cart functionality. I don't mind developer selected prices for apps, different applications deserve some sort of pricing variance, but the lack of a shopping cart to hold apps while you decide which one to purchase is a pain.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:57 AM   #3
SailorTom
macrumors regular

I don't have an iPhone/Touch, but i can see what you're saying. It still needs to sync with iTunes because of the iPod part of it, but if iTunes handled the sync, it could still take the data from a separate App's app (iApp anyone?). You could then have some really cool features within that app. I'm thinking of plugging into computer scale apps, how cool would it be to sync your spore creations into the full version of spore when you dock your iPhone.
SailorTom is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:39 AM   #4
LeviG
macrumors 65816

I agree that itunes is bloated, even more so on windows as half the apps are installed as an 'extra' program. In OS-x quicktime and itunes are the basic media player apps so not an issue but in windows these are bits not all of us want, quicktime is really poorly written in windows and uses twice if not more of the cpu than any other media player.
Now I understand quicktime due to media playback etc, I can understand itunes and maybe even bonjour (to a point) but why is it Apple constantly forces the 'apple mobile device support' and updater program onto us even if we don't have/want an iPhone (so program isn't needed) and the updater program which basically just downloads the whole updated installer and then reinstalls said program while trying to force us to download safari too. It's not even like the program tells us the minute an update is released.

As to the app store, the integration into what is the primary program for the touch/iphone is fine, its mostly done online and if you wanted the app it would be downloaded from most places. However I do feel that some of the 'moderation' of apps is a little unclear and at times kind of a bit stupid (that really expensive app which did all of nothing for example).

Last edited by LeviG; Oct 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM.
LeviG is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:50 AM   #5
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid View Post
I agree with the article that iTunes is becoming a little too bloated for it's own good. I would hope that after the dust settles that iTunes will just be the media manager application for OS X, perhaps iSync needs to be revamped to take care of the syncing and iPhone/Touch application store.
Not a bad idea, but I can only imagine that doing so would result in a lot of duplicate functionality.
brn2ski00 is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:09 PM   #6
reverie
macrumors regular

Don't forget that iTunes is a Windows software first, with only 20 % of iTunes users on the Mac. Apple would have to introduce some other Windows software for iPod/iPhone syncing then. I don't think that's going to happen.

Maybe Apple need a complete redesign for iTunes, even give the software a new name. I bet they already have several prototypes, but they will probably push this a few more years into the future.
reverie is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Raid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn2ski00 View Post
Not a bad idea, but I can only imagine that doing so would result in a lot of duplicate functionality.
Well if they got rid of the syncing aspect from iTunes and moved it (and the App store) to iSync the only duplication would be the store interface. I used iSync to sync up my calendar and contacts on my SLVR (and T68i before that), and I wouldn't consider it duplicate functionality because the option in iTunes wasn't there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie View Post
Don't forget that iTunes is a Windows software first, with only 20 % of iTunes users on the Mac. Apple would have to introduce some other Windows software for iPod/iPhone syncing then. I don't think that's going to happen.
If by first you mean which operating system has more users you could be right (I don't know), but to your point I didn't consider that it would be another app for Windows. I'd also have to assume that if Apple did do something like revamp iSync then they'd also want the windows users to use both iTunes and iSync for ease of use/connectivity but I can see a lot of windows users not happy with that either...

Those poor programers/software designers at Apple have a long road ahead eh?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid View Post
Well if they got rid of the syncing aspect from iTunes and moved it (and the App store) to iSync the only duplication would be the store interface. I used iSync to sync up my calendar and contacts on my SLVR (and T68i before that), and I wouldn't consider it duplicate functionality because the option in iTunes wasn't there!
As long as iSync handles all of the syncing (including songs and videos), it's fine by me. I think it becomes more redundant and confusing if the iPhone is using iTunes to sync music and videos and iSync to sync contacts and calendars. In fact, I'd like it if the iPhoto aspect of the process were more transparent -- I'd like it if my syncing app (whether it's iTunes or not) would take care of the preferences regarding whether photos are imported and just put them in iPhoto for whenever I want them, rather than popping iPhoto under and making me notice it and deal with it before the sync completes.

Other than that... there are some minor things

- I don't see any obvious reason why the shopping cart can't be used for software

- I do agree that iTunes itself isn't enough for me to find the apps I want, but then it isn't enough for me to find the music I want either. If I already read music reviews & blogs, talk to my friends, etc, to determine what music to listen to, before looking it up in iTunes, I don't actually see that as too different from my app experience.

Also, bottom line. Everyone likes to talk about how imperfect the App Store model is, but one thing is very similar between the App Store and the rest of iTunes: before the App Store, everyone talked about apps for their phones, but there was very little developer excitement, apps lacked innovation and polish, and people didn't really download and use very many of them, let alone pay for them. Even on the Blackberry. Apple is the first company that's done anything even remotely resembling a success in delivery of applications to a mobile platform. Even compared to apps for Palm or Windows Mobile PDA's, the amount of development for the App Store is unparalleled.

How long did the App Store exist before major label game developers started putting out games for the iPhone? And how long have Windows Mobile devices had the horsepower and ability to drive games of this sophistication with little or no development?

It's easy to criticize imperfections, and the App Store should improve, but also give me a break. Even compared to jailbreaked iPhones in the last year, the App Store is phenomenal.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:56 PM   #9
LeviG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
everyone talked about apps for their phones, but there was very little developer excitement, apps lacked innovation and polish, and people didn't really download and use very many of them, let alone pay for them. Even on the Blackberry. Apple is the first company that's done anything even remotely resembling a success in delivery of applications to a mobile platform. Even compared to apps for Palm or Windows Mobile PDA's, the amount of development for the App Store is unparalleled.

How long did the App Store exist before major label game developers started putting out games for the iPhone? And how long have Windows Mobile devices had the horsepower and ability to drive games of this sophistication with little or no development?
I would say alot of that is down to hardware development and timing not just software.

Up until recently phone hardware has not really been upto a level where true games etc could be produced so most of the programs developed were business orientated which to be honest aren't exactly that exciting are they.
My p900 came with a few games installed, good games for the times but not exactly cutting edge, mainly restricted by the hardware at the time.
Theres been plenty of games out there for symbian/windows mobile (even some classics like sim city etc) but you would never run them as the batteries wouldn't last.

Move onto todays market and all the higher end phones have graphics acceleration which is far superior to anything in the last few years, batteries can actually last more than a few minutes when playing games and phones are becoming more than just a 'phone'.

You've also got to consider the target demographic, windows mobile/blackberry phones have primarily been targetted at a business demographic, most media phones (non apple) are symbian or custom os based these days and both types have focus (until now) on fulfilling their intended purpose well.

So I would say that apples just hit the market at the right moment and given the 'major' companies (I've only seen a couple to be honest) an incentive somewhere, free development hardware, free advertising, maybe better location in store etc.
It just so happens that most of the 'major' developers have recently started doing os-x games again
LeviG is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion