Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itswagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Im sure im the millionth sorry sap that has posted for advice. I just purchased my first macbook, its my junior year in college, and I love the macbook. I was sleeping the other night, and knocked a full bottle of water right onto the keyboard. probably couldnt have ruined it so completely if i tried to. I slept through the night, while the water soaked into it. I woke up and I estimate it was wet, plugged in for about 4 hours. I unplugged it and let it dry for two weeks. It doesnt even make a motion to boot up now. I tried putting a new battery in it. Apple says not to take it apart, let them do it. has anyone had any experience with this problem? Any idea what apple will do? Will they take into consideration that it was exactly a month old and offer a discount? Im sort of lost. Im taking it home this weekend, ill be on fall break, i just wanted an idea of how it might go down. thanks alot, i really appreciate your help

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
If you send it to Apple and they discover liquid damage, your warranty is gone. Have someone dismantle the laptop and clean the logic board and hope for the best. Does you macbook show any signs of life?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
You could take it to the Apple Store and pretend you don't know what's wrong with it, and see if they'll replace it.
If it's obviously water-damaged you'll have to pay for repairs which would probably be pretty costly.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
... I slept through the night, while the water soaked into it. I woke up and I estimate it was wet, plugged in for about 4 hours. I unplugged it and let it dry for two weeks....

What the heck? Were you trying to ruin it?

You're basically screwed if I'm reading this right. Pony up the $800+ to Apple for a repair and then your original warranty + AppleCare (if you had it) will be restored.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
You're gonna pay. It's completely your fault, Apple's not going to cover anything, nor should they. Ignore any advice to try and get around the accidental damage problem by being dishonest or playing dumb. Just pray they can bring it back to life at a reasonable cost.
When it's fixed (or you're forced to buy a new one) KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR BED and also KEEP LIQUIDS AWAY FROM IT.
You've learned a valuable, if expensive, lesson.

glide

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Water and electronics do not mix. I'm not trying to be sarcastic - but that's what is wrong with it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
My condolences, I'd be crushed if that happened to my (or soon to be mine) macbook.

Unfortunatly this is how life teaches you lessons, when it comes to pricy things you really have to look after it. "accidents" may be accidents, but when they are 100% avoidable with even the littlest amount of effort (aka not putting open water near them) the blame falls squarely on you.

Good luck with your new macbook purchase.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
How the hell can you sleep through the night having known that you knocked water over the keyboard o_O?

Call up Apple, see what happens =\.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.