Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J-Rod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
K, I've been struggling over this for the last week or two and really need some help.

Simply, I'm running a 10" sub off of a Sony XM-504X amp. Everything worked fine and really thumped. Jumped in one morning and started playing some music but i noticed the sub wasn't working. As random as that.

There is an indicator light on the amp
Green-Working fine
Off-Cars off
Red-The head is turned on but the amp isn't working (I think this is like a standby mode)

I can turn my amp on (green light) and the whole setup works at really low volume, but as soon as i turn it up the amp stops working and the light turns red.

I've checked every wire
Tried my friends sub with it
Good Ground

I just can't figure out whats wrong, plz help.

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
Did it work with your friends sub? It sounds like an heat problem. Most amps have a fail safe for overheating. When you turn the amp up, it gets too hot and powers down.

J-Rod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
No, it didn't work with my friends sub, and no, it's starting cold

J-Rod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Well, it only stops when i try and turn it up. I've run it way hot and way cold before and it didn't really effect it.

Thanks

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
Well, it only stops when i try and turn it up. I've run it way hot and way cold before and it didn't really effect it.

Thanks

Where are you turning it up from? At the head unit or the amp? It could be wiring in the amp that is getting messed with if youre turning a knob on the amp.

J-Rod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I've tried turning it up on the head, and also the gain and level on the amp. same problem.

It's driving me crazy

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
How many watts continuous is this amp, and what gauge wire do you have running to it? Is it directly connected to the battery?

EDIT: I should also add that you should be using preamp out from your radio leading to your amp. My guess is that your power and ground wires are either too small or don't have a good connection.

J-Rod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
0 gauge running from the battery into a distribution block, 8 gauge to amp, 8 gauge ground

1000 watts
850 RMS

Usually it runs fine tho

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Well, by Googling around, I noticed this amp has protection for temp, voltage & current faults. If temp is out, since you said it is cold, you need to check voltage and current when the volume is low and when you turn it up. My guess is voltage is dropping too low or current is getting too high.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
would you have any idea how to something like that

Yes, get a multimeter and put the meter into something just above 12V and connect the leads to the meter correctly.. Then put the positive lead of the meter on the positive feed. Put the negative feed on ground and measure. Anything around 12.0 - 12.5V or less is a problem. To note, 12 volt systems in cars are actually 13.8 volts. You don't want anything greater than a 10% difference (1.38 volts +/-). This means the voltage should read somewhere between 12.42 and 15.18, although 10% difference is getting to an extreme point.

For current, you need to put the meter into something greater than what the amp pulls (can't find specs, but if the amp pulls approx 15A, then find something on the multimeter labeled 15A or better), and put the leads into the correct pins for measuring current. Now disconnect the positive lead from the amp. Connect the meter inline (one lead goes to the distribution block, the other goes to the amplifier), and measure the current when the volume is low and when it is high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.