Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Sony's New All-In-One Vaio is Oddly Familiar

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Sony's New All-In-One Vaio is Oddly Familiar
Description:: Deja vu anyone?

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Typical all-in-one PC flavored PC.

They own the market in regards of mini towers, why sell out and make all-in-ones?

The Blu-Ray is nice I guess
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Aron.G
macrumors newbie

Quiet a bit of similarity there! Hahaha, but i think its still a bit ugly looking. Do you think they have finally got it through their thick heads that most people like all-in-one desktop computers! I think their starting to get the idea, they just need a little of their own imagination (like Apple).

As Bertrand Serlet (Senior Vice President of Software Engineering at Apple) once said, "if you can't innovate you just imitate but it's never quiet as good as the original". Hahaha One of my favorite sayings!

Last edited by Aron.G; Oct 7, 2008 at 01:21 AM.
Aron.G is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4
GenericUsername
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
They own the market in regards of mini towers, why sell out and make all-in-ones?
SonyStyle.com
Where do you see any towers, mini or otherwise?
GenericUsername is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:31 PM   #5
elpenguino
macrumors member

reminds me of this other computer that came out earlier:

Dell XPS One
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:43 PM   #6
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

looks very similar to the iMac. very. almost in a sad way.

but imitation is the highest form of flattery or some such, right?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:48 PM   #7
minik
macrumors 65816

As an aluminum iMac user, I don't think they share any similarity.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:24 PM   #8
ecompuplus
macrumors newbie

They migt get the look but I don't think they could match the feel.
ecompuplus is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
SonyStyle.com
Where do you see any towers, mini or otherwise?
PC makers in general.

Sony did make towers in the past. Two models at that. They flopped since most users most users loved their overpriced PC laptops as opposed to their way over priced and fugly PC desktops.

I just don't understand why any PC maker would attempt at making an all-in-one design when Apple will undoubtedly be king at it for some time. Stick to making quad core desktop PCs with upgradeable graphics IMHO.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:46 PM   #10
wheelhot
macrumors 68000

Hmm, I wonder if the XPS One is able to do intensive gaming considering that is what the XPS line is about, especially the desktop version.

The Sony looks okay, at least its not a direct copy
wheelhot is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:17 PM   #11
winterspan
macrumors 65816

Acknowledging the iMac rip, It looks pretty good for a PC. Sony has always had decent style, but the problem is they are stuck with Vista. You'd think by now that all the PC vendors would have had it with Microsoft and would join the Ubuntu organization and get Linux driver support up to speed.. That's about the only way I'd ever buy a PC again..
winterspan is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:16 AM   #12
enigmatut
macrumors member

hats off to Sony ... maybe

If it performs well, I say good for Sony. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my iMac for it ever, but I'm all for a line of PCs that is at least showing signs of steering in the "right" direction ... "Right" being a direction that might actually provide some competition and push innovation at Apple for a change.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:57 AM   #13
supertomtom
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatut View Post
If it performs well, I say good for Sony. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my iMac for it ever, but I'm all for a line of PCs that is at least showing signs of steering in the "right" direction ... "Right" being a direction that might actually provide some competition and push innovation at Apple for a change.
In terms of all-in-1 PCs, I actually think HP has got it right with their newer line of TouchSmarts. It's got the looks, power, and innovation. Though their touch app probably could use some more work.
supertomtom is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:07 AM   #14
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpenguino View Post
reminds me of this other computer that came out earlier:

Dell XPS One
No, the XPS one is a much better design that what Sony's JS. In fact, I would even venture to say, its a better design than the iMac albeit with a much inferior Operating System. To be honest, the iMac tries to be everything to everybody and ends up making a lot of compromises.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:50 PM   #15
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post
Sony has always had decent style, but the problem is they are stuck with Vista.
They also seem to have problems with quality control. I've used many PCs (laptops and desktops) from many vendors. Dell typically has much better quality control than Sony.

Sony stuff seems to enjoy breaking shortly after the warranty expires, forcing you to either pay through the nose for a repair or get a whole new computer.

You are right that Sony has some very good industrial design, though. On many occasions, upon seeing a new Sony product, I've said "gee I wish somebody else manufactured that" because no amount of good looks will convince me to buy unreliable hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom View Post
In terms of all-in-1 PCs, I actually think HP has got it right with their newer line of TouchSmarts. It's got the looks, power, and innovation. Though their touch app probably could use some more work.
I'd love to see something like that from Apple. They've already got the multitouch hardware and software in the iPhone. It would be great to see that applied to the iMac's screen. Not in place of a mouse, but in addition to it. Apps like iPhoto would, I think, be amazing if they could use a full multitouch interface on a big 24" screen.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 03:26 PM   #16
jaytv111
macrumors regular

geesh Wired must be late, I heard about these new computers months ago, and they're already available to purchase. I think they have great features, like Blu Ray, and you can even get one with a cablecard slot and use it as a DVR w/ TV built in, but that particular model (Vaio RT) is very expensive. I guess it's imac still for most all in one computer shoppers.
jaytv111 is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:04 PM   #17
DYER
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to DYER Send a message via AIM to DYER Send a message via MSN to DYER Send a message via Skype™ to DYER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post
Hmm, I wonder if the XPS One is able to do intensive gaming considering that is what the XPS line is about, especially the desktop version.

The Sony looks okay, at least its not a direct copy
XPS died a long time ago imo the XPS line is no longer any good for gaming except 2 models the high end pc and the high end laptop which are effectively cheap versions of the current Alienwares..... People may disagree but i really think XPS died 2 years ago when dell introduced XPS this and XPS that....
DYER is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion