Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

125110-zz3a812d54_itv_220.jpg

TUAW highlights an interesting new (and free) app called i. TV [App Store] that should appeal to any couch potato out there:
The heart of i. TV is a TV listings browser, which connects to the free data feed from the i.tv site (registration is required), including synopses and cast info. You can select your zip code and programming provider and the current schedules are there at your fingertips; you can rate, review, filter or flag shows as favorites and optionally share your feedback with other i.TV users.
Beyond television listings, there are movie listings along with previews/trailers for both TV shows and movies.

Upcoming features include the ability to watch TV, remotely manage your DVR, manage DVD rentals and buy movie tickets.

App Store Link: i. TV (free)

Article Link

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
this is a cool app.

"Upcoming features include the ability to watch TV, remotely manage your DVR, manage DVD rentals and buy movie tickets."

wow, that is ambitious. Hope they are able to do it.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
if they can manage to get Tivo scheduling I will pay plenty for this. ever tried using tivos website from your phone to schedule a recording? total pain.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
If it's just Tivo management that they're going to do, it would make sense -- though be disappointing for me (I just use a DVR from my cable provider).

Although it's interesting they say "remotely manage your DVR" instead of "remotely manage your Tivo," implying that it's possibly more than just Tivo. Not sure how they would ever make that possible, but I'm crossing my fingers...

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
Yea, I found it interesting that they said "remotely manage your DVR" instead of saying "TiVO" as well...hmmm..

I currently use an HD DVR from Comcast, and am not aware of the ability to remotely manage it at all...unless...there is and just don't know about it, heh.

:confused:

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
I hope by DVR they include ReplayTV. There are still a ton of us users out there, and the coding of the scheduling interface is pretty open and easy.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
if they can manage to get Tivo scheduling I will pay plenty for this. ever tried using tivos website from your phone to schedule a recording? total pain.

Except you don't have to pay anything?

So I downloaded this yesterday using arn's fabulous appshopper.com to find it as soon as it dropped. I love that site. Anyhow, I haven't used this app a whole lot yet, but so far I like it better than What's On. Though I'm not sure if it's a replacement yet for a movie app.

I especially love the photo preview on each channel.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Except you don't have to pay anything?

But in order for tivo to allow them to control their dvrs in the future, they might require them to pay...which means we might have to pay for the app...and I am saying that I will pay...i don't know, maybe $10. I'd actually pay a lot more, but I don't want to give them any ideas.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I know U-verse has web management of your DVR. Its a pain from the web, but If they could tie that service into this app, that would be great!

I have a Time Warner Cable DVR, which does not (to my knowledge) have web management. So I can't see how this app could realistically work for ALL DVR's. But hey, I remain optimistic...

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Direct TV

Direct TV has web management; DVR Scheduler.
I have Direct TV and I am able to manage all three of my DVR's through their website. It's even designed for mobile users, and they have an iPhone web icon for when bookmarking it on home screen. It's rather simple, text-based but simple and searchable.
On Demand, Pay Per View, and scheduled TV. /end ad

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Direct TV has web management; DVR Scheduler.
I have Direct TV and I am able to manage all three of my DVR's through their website. It's even designed for mobile users, and they have an iPhone web icon for when bookmarking it on home screen. It's rather simple, text-based but simple and searchable.
On Demand, Pay Per View, and scheduled TV. /end ad

+1

DirecTV's DVR Scheduler is a fantastic little webapp.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
i.tv forever... tvguide.com never!

this app has and promises to soon roll out more cool "bonus" features. but i'm finally glad to just get simple tv listings. trying to use tvguide.com on the iphone is horrible, both on the full site and their useless mobile version. i was actually going to write them an email about how crappy their mobile site is and to get their ***** together. but now thanks to i.tv i can use my time more productively... by watching more tv! :p

great app!!

radiogod69

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Minnesota
Great program a few suggestions though

1. Widescreen mode (DVR like) support
  2. Flicking gesture to advance to the next half hour (while in widescreen mode), etc.
  3. More than 1/2 hour of programming on one screen
  4. Ability to set reminders when your favorite show is on

This program has a promising future. App store needs more useful utilities like these. One of the BEST free apps out there, was shocked considering it could have easily been charged $4.99 or more.

Harpo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2006
It certainly has the most annoying name. The sentence appears to end whenever you mention it.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
+1

DirecTV's DVR Scheduler is a fantastic little webapp.

I use DTV's app as well, but I think it has a lot of room for improvement. Not enough info presented with search results and i find myself trying many links before i find my channel.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I have U-verse, and while remote programming is a great feature, a few simple improvements (which could be added to i.TV) would help imho. In my case, I prefer to record the HD version of my favorite shows, but since they are generally the channel number plus 1000, they don't show up without scrolling through several pages of offerings. A simple option to search HD first would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.