Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1
ht21
macrumors newbie

Battery removal (using my laptop as a desktop)

1. Is there any harm in removing the battery of my 17 inch macbook pro and using only AC power? Of course I understand that with the magsafe I have a higher chance of cutting the power completely, but any other concerns to take into account?

2. I have heard that the processor only runs at 1ghz without the battery. Is this true and where can I find official documentation of this?

3. Does anyone know where I could find a "dummy" battery to place in the gaping hole if I decide not to run the computer with the battery installed?
ht21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:53 AM   #2
Tex-Twil
macrumors 68020

Hi,
you shouldn't remove it. Just keep it there and don't dry to put a dummy battery inside (what an idea ?).

Yes, your MBP will run slower without a battery.

Check this: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

cheers,
Tex
Tex-Twil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:58 AM   #3
J the Ninja
macrumors 68000

1 - See #2

2 - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

I believe it cuts the bus speed in half. Note that since it drops the bus speed and not the core multi, it will drag down EVERYTHING, not just the processor.

3 - No idea, but you shouldn't do it.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 01:00 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Why would you want to? All other arguments aside, running with a battery ensures you won't drop power if the magsafe comes out, or in the case of a power failure. There's no reason not to leave the battery in, as it was designed.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 02:25 AM   #5
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Why in the heck would you want to do that? Just keep the power cord plugged in, plug in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, close the display and you have a desktop (just like what I'm doing right now). It's absolutely senseless to take the battery out. I wish all desktops had a small battery in the power supply so your circa 10 second power interruption that happens from time to time won't turn the computer off. Plus, the battery probably acts as a power filter a bit like a UPS does. Don't quote me on that, but it might.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 08:43 AM   #6
alphaod
macrumors Core

Actually if you short one of the terminals on the computer, you can trick it into thinking you have battery installed and it will run at full speed. Don't know which one; friend did it, so search will do.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:11 PM   #7
ht21
macrumors newbie

To give you a little more information about why I'm asking these silly questions: I'm working off the grid (i.e. solar powered) and my Macbook Pro sucks down half as much power (30-40 watts) without the battery installed. I'd rather not spend hundreds of bucks on PV panels to make my computer work if it will do approximately the same thing with half the energy.

Thanks for your helpful responses.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht21 View Post
To give you a little more information about why I'm asking these silly questions: I'm working off the grid (i.e. solar powered) and my Macbook Pro sucks down half as much power (30-40 watts) without the battery installed. I'd rather not spend hundreds of bucks on PV panels to make my computer work if it will do approximately the same thing with half the energy.

Click on the battery/power icon on the menu bar and select "Better Energy Savings." You can also customize that to choose how it uses power. I don't think the battery has a thing to do with power usage aside from the software switching power schemes between when the power adapter is connected.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:52 PM   #9
tico24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht21 View Post

Of course it sucks half the power, it runs at half the speed.
You could have saved yourself some money and bought a half-as-powerful laptop in the firstplace. The macbooks run on only 60 watts and the air runs on 45watts, maybe those numbers are better suited to your needs?

On top of all the other reasons as to why you shouldn't run without a battery, the battery provides some basic power-management (read 'surge protection') and prevents power spikes hitting the delicate gubbins inside your computer.
tico24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 05:53 PM   #10
ht21
macrumors newbie

Perhaps I made a poor purchase choice in terms of energy (I always use "better energy" settings) but this laptop is the best mac I've ever owned and I do a lot with it.

For now I will continue charging and running down the battery.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 02:00 PM   #11
nj3000gt
macrumors newbie

it takes alot less power to keep the battery charged than to charge a dead battery, so if you just keep the battery and keep it plugged in you'll be saving more energy.
nj3000gt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Habusho
macrumors 6502

I think the reason they drop the speed in half is because of the surge protection of the battery. If there is an electricity surge with the CPUs running at full speed, you might have a fried processor in your hands.
Habusho is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro