Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fontano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I have been able to set my icon for my application, that appears on the iPhone. But when I have my application listed in iTunes, it is just a generic blank icon.

Where do I set the icon for that aspect of my application?

cpatch

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
That would be the large (512x512) icon you're asked to upload with the screenshots. I didn't think you could upload an app to the store without including it, especially since Apple has rejected apps that have large icons that don't match the small ones. You can upload it after the fact by going to iTunes Connect and editing the application information.

Craig

Fontano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
That would be the large (512x512) icon you're asked to upload with the screenshots. I didn't think you could upload an app to the store without including it, especially since Apple has rejected apps that have large icons that don't match the small ones. You can upload it after the fact by going to iTunes Connect and editing the application information.

Craig

Hmmm...
This particular app is an AdHoc InHouse (Enterprise) application, hence why I am asking. As with the AdHoc distribution, you drag and drop your app onto your iTunes (along with the Distribution Profile).

And via that method, it shows up with a generic blankish icon.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Has anyone tried putting their app's icon jpg (the 512x512 one), renamed as as iTunesArtwork, inside their ad-hoc .ipa file by zipping it up with the Payload?

Fontano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Has anyone tried putting their app's icon jpg (the 512x512 one), renamed as as iTunesArtwork, inside their ad-hoc .ipa file by zipping it up with the Payload?

I may try that, just to see what happens.

To the others, thanks for feedback at least know I know I am not totally crazy, since I couldn't find a setting for it.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null

You typically distribute the actually application bundle (.app) for AdHoc Distribution, not an ipa archive, so this wouldn't make much sense. Of course people could just make the ipa for themselves, but iTunes generally generates the ipa for itself when AdHoc end users install the .app through iTunes.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
One of my beta testers was having problems transferring a .app bundle directory to his Windows PC from his linux server, so I just put the entire .app bundle into a Payload directory, and zipped it up into an .ipa file, so there was now just one file for them to transfer and drop onto their iTunes (plus their provision).

How do other developers distribute ad hoc distributions cross-platform?

kimabg

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Putting iTunes artwork in Ad Hoc distribution

Some weeks ago I wrote a blog post about supplying an iTunes icon in an ad hoc distribution of iPhone apps.
Essentially, all you have to do is add a JPG file called iTunesArtwork into the resulting app bundle.

The full blog post: iTunes application icon in Ad Hoc

I find the easiest way of generating an .ipa for cross platform ad hoc distribution is to drag the app bundle into iTunes, and then drag it back out onto the desktop.

robotspacer

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Some weeks ago I wrote a blog post about supplying an iTunes icon in an ad hoc distribution of iPhone apps.
Essentially, all you have to do is add a JPG file called iTunesArtwork into the resulting app bundle.
Nice, thank you!

Fontano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008

The full blog post: iTunes application icon in Ad Hoc

I find the easiest way of generating an .ipa for cross platform ad hoc distribution is to drag the app bundle into iTunes, and then drag it back out onto the desktop.

Fantastic... thank you very much

Nonnus3G

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
One of my beta testers was having problems transferring a .app bundle directory to his Windows PC from his linux server, so I just put the entire .app bundle into a Payload directory, and zipped it up into an .ipa file, so there was now just one file for them to transfer and drop onto their iTunes (plus their provision).

How do other developers distribute ad hoc distributions cross-platform?

i just tried this and it actually creates something slightly different than a regular .ipa

usually the <app_name>.ipa is a zipped <app_name> folder
inside it usually has the iTunesArtwork, iTunesMetadata.plist and payload folder with the <app_name>.app

the process you mention seems to only create the payload folder and zip it into <app_name>.ipa so no space for artwork

if i try to create a <app_name>.ipa with iTunesArtwork itunes inside i get an error from iTunes when i try to install: the application could not be added because it is not a valid application

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.