Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Puerto Rico
Local AT&T dealer SR told me that I can't change my iphone phone number with a new one. that once you buy the iphone and AT&T assigned a number, they can't change that phone number for a new one.

is this true?

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I don't know how applicable this is to AT&T, but over here in UK you can get your iPhone number transferred over from an existing pay as you go or pay monthly tariff... Don't think it'd be much different in the us!

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
Local AT&T dealer SR told me that I can't change my iphone phone number with a new one. that once you buy the iphone and AT&T assigned a number, they can't change that phone number for a new one.

is this true?

Ask him if you sell the phone if the new owner will keep your number.

Of course that's not true.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Call AT&T customer service and have them change your number. I know a friend of mine with AT&T was able to do it when his ex-girlfriend went a little....apeshi....well, I think "ex-girlfriend" should be enough detail for you to figure out the rest.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

is this true?

All you have to do is call AT&T and ask them to change the number. It costs about $17 to do so and the new number is effective immediately. It even changes the number automatically on the sim so that the number displays correctly in iTunes. I did this with both of my iPhones back in August.

Foamer

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
All you have to do is call AT&T and ask them to change the number. It costs about $17 to do so and the new number is effective immediately. It even changes the number automatically on the sim so that the number displays correctly in iTunes. I did this with both of my iPhones back in August.

When my psycho ex-gf was harassing me and making threats, all I had to do was call customer service and say that I was being harassed and they changed it for free, no questions asked.

Streamer

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008

is this true?

Not true, I had my number changed within four hours of being new, as I received a ton of calls from debt collection agencies looking for someone who wasn't me!

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth

is this true?

No, it is not true. People change phone numbers all the time. You'll probably be charged for doing it, but, the phone number isn't permanently etched into every iPhone.

damonhed

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I was told this IS true

i'm trying to port my cell number from another carrier to my iPhone. i've also been told by SR that i cannot do this without paying the hefty early termination fee. They said the two year contract is bound to the phone NUMBER, not the phone itself. What gives?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
No, it is not true. People change phone numbers all the time. You'll probably be charged for doing it, but, the phone number isn't permanently etched into every iPhone.

Whew... good thing Apple doesn't offer engraving as an option on the iPhone.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
i'm trying to port my cell number from another carrier to my iPhone. i've also been told by SR that i cannot do this without paying the hefty early termination fee. They said the two year contract is bound to the phone NUMBER, not the phone itself. What gives?

Porting from another carrier and changing phone numbers on the same carrier are 2 entirely different things.

Porting is taking your phone number from Carrier A, say Sprint, and moving it to Carrier B, say AT&T. If you're still in a contract with Sprint, when you bring your number over, you will be stuck with the early termination fee. And yes, the 2 year contract is bound to the phone number (well, kinda. It's bound to the phone line, which is bound to the number. It's like if A=B and B=C, A=C) but when they say it's not bound to the phone itself, that means you're free to buy new phones and swap them all you want and you don't have to renew your contract or pay any early termination fees (but unless you renew, you'll be paying full price for the phone, but that's another issue).

What the OP wants to do is change the phone number associated with his AT&T account. He's not porting, or canceling or anything like that. He just has a phone number and for whatever reason, wants to change it. That has absolutely nothing to do with contracts and you can change your number if you're in contract. There's a fee for it, I want to say its 36 bucks, but don't quote me on that. That's a number change fee and applies regardless of whether or not you're under contract. Has nothing to do with the ETF.

damonhed

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Porting from another carrier and changing phone numbers on the same carrier are 2 entirely different things.

Porting is taking your phone number from Carrier A, say Sprint, and moving it to Carrier B, say AT&T. If you're still in a contract with Sprint, when you bring your number over, you will be stuck with the early termination fee. And yes, the 2 year contract is bound to the phone number (well, kinda. It's bound to the phone line, which is bound to the number. It's like if A=B and B=C, A=C) but when they say it's not bound to the phone itself, that means you're free to buy new phones and swap them all you want and you don't have to renew your contract or pay any early termination fees (but unless you renew, you'll be paying full price for the phone, but that's another issue).

What the OP wants to do is change the phone number associated with his AT&T account. He's not porting, or canceling or anything like that. He just has a phone number and for whatever reason, wants to change it. That has absolutely nothing to do with contracts and you can change your number if you're in contract. There's a fee for it, I want to say its 36 bucks, but don't quote me on that. That's a number change fee and applies regardless of whether or not you're under contract. Has nothing to do with the ETF.

Sorry, i wasn't completely clear. i actually do have a number for the iPhone now (was doing a trial through our corporate rep), but want to use my other number from US Cellular. i have to pay the ETF to USCC, but now AT&T is telling me to change from the current number on the iPhone to my USCC number would mean terminating the AT&T contract on the number currently on the iPhone, and entering into yet another contract with my USCC number. The porting actually seems to have little to do with this current snafu. But in this regard, AT&T has basically told me the same thing as they have told the OP. Clear as mud? ;)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Sorry, i wasn't completely clear. i actually do have a number for the iPhone now (was doing a trial through our corporate rep), but want to use my other number from US Cellular. i have to pay the ETF to USCC, but now AT&T is telling me to change from the current number on the iPhone to my USCC number would mean terminating the AT&T contract on the number currently on the iPhone, and entering into yet another contract with my USCC number. The porting actually seems to have little to do with this current snafu. But in this regard, AT&T has basically told me the same thing as they have told the OP. Clear as mud? ;)

I can guarantee you that's not true. Talk to someone else at AT&T.

damonhed

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I can guarantee you that's not true. Talk to someone else at AT&T.

Really?? Thanks, i'll try that. My corporate rep simply said if they charge the ETF he'll credit it. And thanks for letting the noob play your reindeer games... ;)

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
i had an issue with porting, the CSRs have no CLUE. i posted a thread about my experience, but it got squared away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.