Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I may be losing my mind, but I'm considering restarting WoW. I've got 5 characters, the top toons are a L60 Human Paladin, a L53 Night Elf Hunter, a L30-something Night Elf Priest, a L20- Human Warlock. I've been told that TBC has a lot of 5 man instances and is pretty friendly for solo/small group players.

I'm wondering if I could restart and do only two nights a week. (Imagine the alcoholic with only two drinks a week. That's what might stop me dead. ;)) I just have to ponder if I want to get back into that highly attractive rat race again. If you've seen my other WoW posts, I'm mostly interested in PVE and small party questing and my Paladin is an Armorsmith, for whatever that is worth. I have not cranked up the game in a while, so I suspect I'll have the luxury of respecking all of my toons for free.

I realize they have done a ton of class balancing since I bailed (before TBC came out.) What's the latest conventional wisdom on strong solo classes? Blizzard seems to think that the Warlock is an excellent Solo Class. But Shadow Priest has always intrigued me too. :D

Any opinions on the casual friendly nature of TBC?
Thanks! :D

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
TBC is pretty good. I do pretty much solo on Server HellScream as a Lvl 70 BE Paladin. Even though Paladin in general seems to be not the best character to be. But in about a month "Wrath of the Lich King" comes out with ability to level to 80 along with a Death Knight. Not too sure of all the features of Lich King but I am looking forward to it. I play only once or twice a week. Mainly Quest and Battle-Ground. My armor needs some buffing up before raiding. But I am sure there are others who can add to this. Enjoy if you return!

Bill....:apple:

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
BC sucks, it is trash compared to pre BC. However wrath of the lich king is coming out soon, which actually looks pretty good and they are promising a lot. The level cap is also going to 80, so if your going to play start now and get to 70 before it comes out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
TBC is pretty good. I do pretty much solo on Server HellScream as a Lvl 70 BE Paladin. Even though Paladin in general seems to be not the best character to be. But in about a month "Wrath of the Lich King" comes out with ability to level to 80 along with a Death Knight. Not too sure of all the features of Lich King but I am looking forward to it. I play only once or twice a week. Mainly Quest and Battle-Ground. My armor needs some buffing up before raiding. But I am sure there are others who can add to this. Enjoy if you return!

No raiding for me. If I hit it, it will be casual, focusing on the 5 player instances and run of the mill questing, that is if I can get back into the grinding kill and collect type of quests. Really that is a big if at this point. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: jagooch

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
If you start playing now, be prepared to grind through all of Outland, deserted expect for hordes of Death knights. You might get to see some of the instances but don't expect to get to enjoy too much of the group content.

As for easiest to level, I'd say Hunter, Warlock and Druid are tops. I have level 70s of the later two and a lowbie hunter. Paladin is probably not the most fun to level but is great for groups and instances for obvious reasons (everyone wants a tank, and prot pallys are great tanks in TBC — Blizzard is "equalizing" tanking somewhat in WotLK though).

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
If you play casually and don't have much in the way of expectations, try it on a 10-day scroll of resurrection trial. You'll basically be leveling with people on alts. Death Knights will be starting in EPL at 55 come xpac so if you get a class to complement them, you'll find instancing easier.

I have a warrior in 7/8 T6, a druid with T4/T5 gear (feral cat/bear and resto/oomkin) and a warlock in Kara-level gear. All were pretty easy to level and even moreso with the leveling changes to make things easier for people.

Oh, and it's losing not loosing.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Now is probably the best time to pick the game back up. With the expansion just about a month away, the playing field will be leveled. A character new to level 70 will have just as much of a chance as a hardcore raider. On top of that, Blizzard is lowering the experience needed to go from 60-70 to get people ready for the expansion content. You should be able to get a 60 up to the current level cap before the expansion hits.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
With the expansion just about a month away, the playing field will be leveled. A character new to level 70 will have just as much of a chance as a hardcore raider.

Not really. SWP/T6 gear is likely to last to 80 and even past the 10-man raids. Naxx 25 has the good stuff.

But yeah, next week is a good time to get back in, I guess, as the patch will be out so you only need to absorb a huge number of changes once as opposed to the TBC changes then the pre-xpac patch changes.

Leveling to 58-60 is a breeze now. Mounts even at level 30. And Outlands is solid for leveling as well. -

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
One thing I will add that I have read in a couple of places is that when Return of the Lich King comes out then all honor is rest to zero. This is for those banking honor for PVP Gear, etc. Have not actually heard that from Blizzard direct. But I assume new gear will be on the lists for those wanting to PVP and do Arena. I really enjoy the smaller instances. But even now sometimes I have issues finding a group for quests or instances. Then again, HellScream is still pretty much a low populated server.

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
It's a trap! Stay away. I've been detoxing from WoW for 4 months now, and it still hurts. Had only 3 toons, all 70 (H Priest, S Priest, and Resto Druid) but I still dream about them. Don't fall back into the pit! Stay away from the WoW website and all the wonderful things they're offering, and the shiny new expansion with promises of wonderful wonderful things!

But if you decide to be a wuss and relapse, go Shadow Priest on a PvP Server. Hell hath no fury like a Priest that melts faces.

msbsound

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Charlotte, NC
One thing I will add that I have read in a couple of places is that when Return of the Lich King comes out then all honor is rest to zero. This is for those banking honor for PVP Gear, etc. Have not actually heard that from Blizzard direct. But I assume new gear will be on the lists for those wanting to PVP and do Arena.

Originally they were planning to wipe honor and marks but have since changed their minds as they felt no matter how they went about it that it would catch too many people off guard. Link at the bottom. Now the rumor side, which I havent seen confirmed, is that level 80 pvp rewards will cost upwards of 80k honor to still offset people who have stored up honor from gearing up instantly. Of course the level 80 BGs would reward substantially more honor.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=18620.0

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
On Hellfire (EU) no problems at all on every level, you always find someone to play with.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I really think you will like tBC (PvE) although the outlands population will be dropping drastically after the expansion :). Try it for a month and you will only be out $15.00 if you decide you don't like it.

If your pally is either protection or holy, you are all set to find groups to level to 70.

Right now, it's relatively quick to get to 60 and I believe they will be extending that to 70.

The main city in outland is **** and the city contains portals to most of the major cities on the old continent. Gold is fairly easy to get and you will love getting a flying mount at 70.

When you are first starting tBC with your level 60 pally, you want to

1) Enter outlands through a portal in the blasted lands.
2) Take a flight to your starting town from the portal.
3) Reputation is pretty important in tBC. To maximize hellfire rep, don't do the hellfire quest until you get honored hellfire rep running the 5 man hellfire ramps and/or bf instances. Ramps is a very small, fun, quick rep and a quick instance. If you wait till you hit honored by doing the instances before you start questing, you will hit revered by time you finish the quest. The hellfire quest are pretty enjoyable and you should hit 63-64 when you are finished the zone.
4) To save a lot of time, join a guild to help you get to **** and get all the flight points between hellfire and ****. The auction halls are still on the old continent so it's good to be able to get to **** so you can portal to the old continent (after setting up your hearth to hellfire or **** so you can easily get back to the outlands).

Best of luck and post any questions you might have.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Now is probably a good time to start back up.

The 3.0 patch is expected (but not promised) to hit October 14th. That is bringing new talent trees (http://www.mmo-champion.com for info), new inscription profession, and a crap ton of other new content (dances, hair cuts). It might also reduce the leveling requirements for 60-70 in the 3.0 patch, but I'm not sure. I have two level 60 characters that I'll be pushing to lv 70 before WotLK release on Nov 13th.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
That would be loosening then.
Whoops, yeah. :) I meant to use it like "he loosed his mind."

Reputation is pretty important in tBC. To maximize hellfire rep, don't do the hellfire quest until you get honored hellfire rep running the 5 man hellfire ramps and/or bf instances. Ramps is a very small, fun, quick rep and a quick instance. If you wait till you hit honored by doing the instances before you start questing, you will hit revered by time you finish the quest. The hellfire quest are pretty enjoyable and you should hit 63-64 when you are finished the zone.
With the current level cap, yes, but with Wrath out, TBC faction rep won't matter much in Northrend unless you really want to have that one enchant or that one tabbard. Besides which, it might not be easy to find lots of groups for those instances (even now it can be hard) unless you join a guild with members willing to help with that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you start playing now, be prepared to grind through all of Outland, deserted expect for hordes of Death knights. You might get to see some of the instances but don't expect to get to enjoy too much of the group content.

As for easiest to level, I'd say Hunter, Warlock and Druid are tops. I have level 70s of the later two and a lowbie hunter. Paladin is probably not the most fun to level but is great for groups and instances for obvious reasons (everyone wants a tank, and prot pallys are great tanks in TBC — Blizzard is "equalizing" tanking somewhat in WotLK though).

This may sound stupid so have mercy- Outland is the new TBC continent. You're saying there is usually no one there other than raiders? Are you implying that everyone that is still playing the game is high end raiding? :) I was playing a year ago for the second time with my wife, and we were running into people in the starter zones on a regular basis.

I was thinking I might just go back and enjoy the original Azeroth instances if there is anyone still there. Something to ponder. :p Thanks!

h, and it's losing not loosing.

Fixed. :)

Wow man. I hope you are joking, if so. LOL. If not? May God have mercy on your future relationships.

You do have a valid point. I played Planetside for 18 months approximately 2 nights a week. It worked and I stayed casual. I was able to do that because I was in a large outfit and you could be from the lowest to the highest level and you could still play a big part in joint operations. Characters were not limited by their levels in PS. In WoW you can make the same argument that when everyone is capped out, it's the same. It looks like the 5 man instances in TBC are all about the same level. Of course the key would be is there anyone still doing the 5 man instances in TBC? Bottom line, I have no interest what so ever in raiding. My goal is to just putz around and stay casual if that is possible. A nice casual guild might make a difference.

But even now sometimes I have issues finding a group for quests or instances. Then again, HellScream is still pretty much a low populated server.

Hmm, thanks for the perspective. Are there players out there who just enjoy doing the 5 player instances? Of course I realize once you've completed the quests in an instance, you're done, other than helping someone else.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
This may sound stupid so have mercy- Outland is the new TBC continent. You're saying there is usually no one there other than raiders? Are you implying that everyone that is still playing the game is high end raiding? :) I was playing a year ago for the second time with my wife, and we were running into people in the starter zones on a regular basis.

I was thinking I might just go back and enjoy the original Azeroth instances if there is anyone still there.
Outland is the TBC content area, but it's not new by any means. YMMV depending on your realm, but for me it seems there are fewer people doing the 5-man content now. Everyone who's 70 is going to be moving to Northrend when Wrath of the Lich King comes out next month, and Outland will just be the place you go to level from 60-70.

Of course there are always people leveling new characters, so it's not as if Old Azeroth is *completely* deserted.... but it's pretty empty except for the major cities where the Auction Houses and class trainers are. There's almost zero chance you will find anyone doing the pre-BC instances unless it's for nostalgic value. If someone rerolling wants to do an instance they just get a few level 70 buddies to run them through quickly. I've done my share of Deadmines and Gnomeragan runs, and a couple into Dire Maul for the warlock and paladin mounts.

And re: the addictiveness of WoW, I do think you might find it hard to play casually 2 nights a week. There is simply so much to do, though it depends on your preference. When I leveled my first character I took time to enjoy the quests, lore, etc. but my real goal was the endgame content. For that I played a lot to get to 70 quickly, and once at 70 there was tons of rep/money/material grinding to do to get to the raid-ready status I wanted for the guild I joined. And past then, more grinding to get my epic flying mount and other things. Now, at the end of the endgame content, there's nothing for me to do (including leveling an alt to 70 and getting him some half-decent gear AND epic flying mount, which actually went pretty quickly with the resources available to me from raiding so long) and I'm just waiting for the expansion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.