Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Oct 9, 2008, 04:33 AM   #1
jamin100
macrumors 6502

How do i change a macbook 13" inverter board

Hi,

I have the dreaded screen flickering issuse on my macbook 2,1 2ghz. Its got to the point where its starting to drive me nuts. My macbook is well out of warrenty so i've decided to have a go at this myself. I'm used to taking laptops apart but never my beloved macbook.

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to replace the inverter board and where its located.

I'm in the UK and have seen some inverters on eBay US that with shipping would come to about 15 over here in the UK there about 40 so i think i'm going to try one from the US will this be a problem or will the parts still be the same?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this to see how hard it was for them and provide me with any tips that they can

Thanks in advance

Ben
jamin100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:26 AM   #2
logana
macrumors 65816

Fairly straightforward - the inverter is behind the hinge-cover at the bottom of the screen. US ones are the same as UK ones !!

Instructions are at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacB.../116/27/Page-1

You need to remove the screen - it is not too bad but you really need a spudger (!!). If you think you can manage it after reading the instructions and want an inverter then PM me !
Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:35 AM   #3
jamin100
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by logana View Post
You have to do all that just to get the the inverter which is buy the screen? Surely going in through (not literally) the screen would be easier?

http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-remo...,macbook.shtml
Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:48 AM   #4
logana
macrumors 65816

A few people on here have tried that method - it is almost impossible to do....most have given up and taken the screen off.

When you try to assemble it things are even worse because the hinge-cover does not sit right and ends up looking terrible.

If you use the ifixit guides it will take probably an hour, maybe 90 minutes to replace the inverter.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:50 AM   #5
jamin100
macrumors 6502

Thanks logana,

I worry that i'd have trouble putting it back together again..

we'll see.

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
eman
macrumors 6502a

Take the top lid off and replace the inverter.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:04 AM   #7
jamin100
macrumors 6502

Just to keep you updated I have successfully replaced the inverter in my macbook and so far everything seems good.

It took me about 2 hours in total. Taking it apart was the easy bit . . replacing the inverter was soooo simple . . putting it all back together again was a nightmare!

If you are thinking about doing this then be patient! and label all the screws you take out!

Ben
Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Flynmac
macrumors newbie

Test it?

Is there a way to test the inverter once its out? Seems like it could be the cable or the backlight itself.
Flynmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:54 AM   #9
jamin100
macrumors 6502

I have no idea. I have the inverter and cable that i took out and would love to be able to test it to see if that was really the problem.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:26 AM   #10
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post

If you are thinking about doing this then be patient! and label all the screws you take out!
My top tip for this is to use an empty egg carton, or better still a box of chocolates, so you can store the different screw sizes (and even locations) in particular parts of the box. Also, you can reward yourself with a chocolate afterwards if that is what you use for the screws.
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:31 AM   #11
logana
macrumors 65816

You must be relieved that it is all back together - it will be quicker next time !!

Sounds like the inverter was faulty although possible the inverter to logicboard cable might have been contributing !!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:01 AM   #12
jamin100
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzilla View Post
My top tip for this is to use an empty egg carton, or better still a box of chocolates, so you can store the different screw sizes (and even locations) in particular parts of the box. Also, you can reward yourself with a chocolate afterwards if that is what you use for the screws.
I put the screws on a piece of paper and circled them with the corresponding number on the ifixit guide...
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:25 PM   #13
nerve2
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to nerve2
macbook 13.3" core duo

Hey, I was looking at this posting as I am having the screen flicker problem as well. I was looking into replacing my inverter and I saw the iFixit guide, I saw that it said Core 2 Duo and I was wondering if there would be any differences in the guide because I have a Core Duo.
nerve2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:00 PM   #14
SuperSnake2012
macrumors 6502a

I have my Macbook in for repair getting the inverter replaced... I have a Rev A Macbook from 2006 and this is the second time I'm getting it replaced.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:42 PM   #15
amrk47
Banned

the inverter wont fix it

I had my inverter replaced twice and my screen replaced once and the flickering was still there, apple then issued me a replacement
amrk47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:39 AM   #16
SuperSnake2012
macrumors 6502a

Got my Macbook back from Apple... screen is still flickering. Got a new keyboard though. I've already had it checked out twice. If I bring it back a 3rd time, under what grounds can I request a replacement?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:15 AM   #17
dvdhsu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnake2012 View Post
Got my Macbook back from Apple... screen is still flickering. Got a new keyboard though. I've already had it checked out twice. If I bring it back a 3rd time, under what grounds can I request a replacement?
Ermm...
They should've fixed it the first two times. Call Public Relations and speak to them politely.
http://www.apple.com/pr/contacts/
If you MacBook is still under warranty, you should be able to get them to replace it.
Good Luck!
dvdhsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:11 AM   #18
jamin100
macrumors 6502

OP here . .

I ended up selling this macbook on eBay for 550 and then brought a macbook from the refurb store for 529 . . .

Got a years warranty this way and the latest revision.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:04 PM   #19
SuperSnake2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdhsu View Post
Ermm...
They should've fixed it the first two times. Call Public Relations and speak to them politely.
http://www.apple.com/pr/contacts/
If you MacBook is still under warranty, you should be able to get them to replace it.
Good Luck!
I called Janette (specializes in notebooks) and she's out on vacation until the 5th. Should I just call Applecare instead, or will they not help me?

Update: I called Applecare and they told me the Genius that worked on my computer didn't do anything to replace the inverter, so I'm going to have to bring it back to the Apple Store. I'm really frustrated with this whole situation... anyone have any ideas about someone else I can talk to?

Last edited by SuperSnake2012; Dec 23, 2008 at 03:56 PM.
SuperSnake2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:06 PM   #20
suckerpunchme
macrumors newbie

Changing 13" MacBook inverter is easy as pie (15 minutes)

SERIOUSLY? Changing the inverter is not as complicated as this thread makes it out to be! You do not need to remove the screen! I don't know what you all are smokin' but changing the inverter is not rocket science! And I'm not even a tech genius.

I just replaced the inverter on my MacBook 13" in 3 steps in 15 minutes because the screen went dark.

Apple wanted to charge me almost $300 bucks for a $10 dollar part off eBay and 15 minutes worth of labor, if that.

I used the link jamin100 provided going through the screen:
http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-remo...,macbook.shtml

I took me no more than 15 minutes start to finish and all I needed was a small phillips head screwdriver. And really, I only needed to go through 3 steps of that link. Remove screen cover, remove 3 screws, pry off plastic hinge cover. Replace inverter, put plastic hinge cover back on (you have to be a little rough to get it back in place), put 3 screws back in, snap in screen cover. That's it! It's all flush, lined up and looks as good as new. And my screen works again!

I don't understand what all this other talk is about literally taking your whole computer apart just to change the inverter. It's right there! Easy, even a 3 year old could do it. Once you remove the hinge cover, the inverter is just sitting there. There's no screws, nothing blocking it, all you have to do is unplug the little cable clips on each end, which you can do by hand, swap out the inverter, plug the cables back in... and whalla!

The most difficult part is the hinge cover. You have to be a little rough to wiggle it out and not break the little plastic clips that keep it lined up, same thing putting it back in place. But it's not difficult, and even if you did break the clips, it'd still line up just fine once the screws are in place.

I would of been so frustrated going through the process everyone else here has mentioned. Now replacing other parts? Who knows... but the inverter is first grade stuff. Don't believe the hype!

Last edited by suckerpunchme; Jan 31, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
suckerpunchme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:26 PM   #21
jacksonisadog
macrumors newbie

agreeed. it takes 20mins by going in by the screen. and the hinges were fine.
jacksonisadog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:20 AM   #22
MLE425
macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 13" MacBook with the backlight not working. I replaced the inverter board and it didn't fix the problem. The cables looked okay, but I didn't replace them, so I can try this...The screen flashes when I turn it on, so I don't think the bulb is out... Anything else to check before taking it in to Apple? There are a lot of other things wrong with the computer (wireless not working and the case around the keyboard is all cracked), so I am not sure how much money I want to sink into it...

Thanks!
MLE425 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:33 PM   #23
rafatmit
macrumors newbie

I just changed out the inverter board in my girlfriend's macbook in about 15 minutes, going through the screen bezel as described above. Totally trivial. The downside is that you can't change the cable that way.
rafatmit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 02:14 PM   #24
Nickmack
macrumors newbie

Hi!

For those who changed the inverter board: could you SEE that there was something wrong with it? Something burn for example?

Also, before changing it, can I be sure that it is the problem, and not the bulb, or some cable?

My screen just went dark suddenly, I heard come very weak sound and there was a slight odor of burned. I can see everything on my computer, but it is very very dim.

Thank you for your help!
Nickmack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 03:21 PM   #25
Nickmack
macrumors newbie

Additional info:
the screen always had flickering probems, and Apple replaced the screen 3 times. The last time the week when the warranty ended. That was 6 months ago.
Nickmack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook