Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warlun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hong Kong
I recently managed to scratch the lid of my macbook air quite severely and wish to get a replacement lid cover (where the apple logo is).
Where would I be able to find one? And if I did, is it possible I could replace it myself?
Would apple be able to replace the lid for me? And approximately how much would this set me back?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tifosi Red

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
Saddleworth, UK
From previous threads it appears that the top cover is extremely susceptible to deformation (creasing etc.) if you try and prise it apart.... as has been said an enquiry at your local Apple store or authorised service centre would be your best starting point. Fingers crossed you can get away without a full new TFT panel :-(

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I took my Air to the Apple store to see about fixing a dent. Apple said that they consider the screen a whole "piece" and do not fix "parts'. The price for replacement is $700.

warlun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hong Kong
Yeah, I called in and they quoted me that much.
It's really stupid considering they should realise that by now, the lid is easy to dent and still make the consumer pay the $700 for a id and a TFT screen I don't need when one can get a replacement lid for a macbook for $60....
is there something else I could do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.