Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

I NEED Tap to Click in Windows!!!

Please, somebody, PLEASE tell me how I can get tap to click working on a MacBook running Windows under boot camp!

Every Windows laptop on the market has this functionality, and in OS X this also exists. Does anyone know how to make this work?
dotdotdot is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:40 PM   #2
iToaster
macrumors 68000

Check you Keyboard and Mouse preferences. You did install the drivers for the MacBook, right?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:57 PM   #3
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iToaster View Post
Check you Keyboard and Mouse preferences. You did install the drivers for the MacBook, right?
The keyboard and mouse preferences in Windows have no control over the tap to click feature of a trackpad - on Windows, that is supposed to be in the trackpad's drivers. For some reason, Apple didn't include this with theirs.

I installed Windows and then the Boot Camp drivers from my Leopard DVD, and then the Boot Camp update. Right now, I'm typing this from a terrible Dell laptop that is old and clunky, and even this computer has tap to click!

How do I get this to work??
Old Oct 9, 2008, 09:14 PM   #4
macDonalds
macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat! Looking forward to getting this resolved.
macDonalds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:10 PM   #5
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

Maybe there are like 3rd party drivers or something? Does anyone know?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:44 PM   #6
JLatte
macrumors 6502

Even though I don't personally use this function, I know many people that wish this was included in Boot Camp. Apple acknowledged on their forums that everything is working, this obviously is not the case with the track pad. Sorry, I don't know any 3rd party.
JLatte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 03:36 AM   #7
joeshell383
macrumors 6502a

Update...

Can anyone confirm if this issue has been addressed with the new glass touchpad (MB/MBP Oct 2008)?
joeshell383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:00 AM   #8
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshell383 View Post
Can anyone confirm if this issue has been addressed with the new glass touchpad (MB/MBP Oct 2008)?
Update: There is actually tap to click in there - it's hidden away in the Boot Camp options and it works just like on OS X. Two finger tap does not create a right click though.

No, there is still no tap-to-click functionality in Windows. Not only that but there is now a massive issue which has arisen as a result of there being no mouse button. If you try to click with the side of your thumb on the trackpad then it will detect your thumb moving across the pad and will move the cursor as you are clicking. It is extremely frustrating and you really need to keep your forefinger on the trackpad at all times when you are trying to click.

Last edited by neiltc13; Oct 18, 2008 at 06:46 AM.
neiltc13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:48 AM   #9
eGraeme
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
Update: There is actually tap to click in there - it's hidden away in the Boot Camp options and it works just like on OS X. Two finger tap does not create a right click though.

No, there is still no tap-to-click functionality in Windows. Not only that but there is now a massive issue which has arisen as a result of there being no mouse button. If you try to click with the side of your thumb on the trackpad then it will detect your thumb moving across the pad and will move the cursor as you are clicking. It is extremely frustrating and you really need to keep your forefinger on the trackpad at all times when you are trying to click.
doh!
this is no good
be sure to send in one of those WHINE AND COMPLAIN forms on the support site
seriously!
eGraeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:57 AM   #10
kenned
macrumors member

You can enable tap-to-click under bootcamp pref's when inside windows.
Worked for me

MB 2.0
kenned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:57 AM   #11
dinaluvsApple
Banned

geez guys, its not even a week old yet, their will be a patch next week to address issues like this. its not big.
dinaluvsApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 07:19 AM   #12
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
use an external mouse or wait for the update in Apple Software Update in Windows. thanks for the info Neil!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 01:13 PM   #13
tecsi
macrumors newbie

Tap to Click Option? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenned View Post
Worked for me

MB 2.0
I have installed latest Boot Camp and don't see that option anywhere in the Boot Camp control panel. Please advise.
tecsi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 01:30 PM   #14
Philflow
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Worked for me

MB 2.0
Worked for me too.
Philflow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:25 PM   #15
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Also, I read somewhere that the unibody Macbooks have 3 finger right click in bootcamp.

This is from the Apple forums. I was curious to see if they finally resolved the click issue in bootcamp and apparently they did.

amazing
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:45 PM   #16
ubercool
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ubercool
Quote:
Worked for me

MB 2.0
Didn't even have to enable it, just worked for me.

Actually, I'm running Fusion and it picks all the Mac OS' prefs, so you don't have to do anything.
ubercool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:30 PM   #17
tedfox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philflow View Post
Worked for me too.
exactly WHERE is this in boot camp preferences? this has already been asked before, can you please tell us if you know?

i don't see how this is so easily resolved, from what i've been reading, tons of people have the same annoying issues with:

- tap to click (not working)
- 2 finger scroll way too sensitive
- erratic 2-finger right click
tedfox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:18 PM   #18
BlackLight
macrumors regular

if you have bootcamp 2.1 .there is a bootcamp icon at the bottom right corner of your windows taskbar.. ..click on it and it will give you some options ....click on bootcamp control panel and you can configure all you trackpad settings there including tap to click .....i've done it and using windows vista is a breeze for me
BlackLight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 02:14 PM   #19
igoriss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
if you have bootcamp 2.1 .there is a bootcamp icon at the bottom right corner of your windows taskbar.. ..click on it and it will give you some options ....click on bootcamp control panel and you can configure all you trackpad settings there including tap to click .....i've done it and using windows vista is a breeze for me
At me updating bootcamp 2.1 also is installed but I have the same problems - in bootcamp 2.1 there is no such option. Can you will show screenshot adjustments bootcamp 2.1 ?
igoriss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:37 PM   #20
HLdan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by igoriss View Post
At me updating bootcamp 2.1 also is installed but I have the same problems - in bootcamp 2.1 there is no such option. Can you will show screenshot adjustments bootcamp 2.1 ?
My Macbook Air has the tap to click and drag functions in the bootcamp preferences for Vista. Works perfectly.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:44 PM   #21
Bengt77
macrumors 68000

After installing the touchpad update today, tapping and right clicking works even better than it already did. Two finger tapping now actually works, instead of having to physically click with three fingers. Scrolling, tapping; it all works like a charm in Vista 64.
Use
MRoogle!
Bengt77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:04 PM   #22
BlackLight
macrumors regular

check the screen shots below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Panel.png
Views:	112
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	149421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main page.png
Views:	202
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	149422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Function page.png
Views:	172
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	149423  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trackpad page.png
Views:	234
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	149424  
BlackLight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:20 PM   #23
igoriss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt77 View Post
After installing the touchpad update today, tapping and right clicking works even better than it already did. Two finger tapping now actually works, instead of having to physically click with three fingers. Scrolling, tapping; it all works like a charm in Vista 64.
It's absolutely unbelievable, this update (Multi-Touch Trackpad Update for Windows & Vista 1.0) is only for the late 2008 models! Anything made earlier is not covered by the patch. I have bought the macbook pro in the summer 2008. I cannot install it.

Apple causes unpleasant feelings
igoriss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:51 AM   #24
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
I have the Late 07 (not 08) MacBook. This bugs me, but nothing is perfect. I can live with not having it, but it just irks me.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:00 AM   #25
tubbymac
macrumors 6502a

Well if it's any consolation the multitouch trackpad update for the new unibody Macbooks broke tap to click. Every time you use two finger scroll to scroll a web page, for example, it also pops up the right click menu since tapping the trackpad with two fingers acts as a right click. Before the update this problem didn't exist because it was broken in another way and you had to use three fingers to right click instead. The only "fix" is to turn tap to click off, so it's not like the unibody is an improvement over the plastics in this case.
tubbymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook