Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:04 AM   #1
Xahid
macrumors newbie

What's taking soo much space on my Hard Drive?

Im sure a lot of people are experiencing the same problem,
I am running OS X Leopard.
and i just noticed that i have TWO Libraries?? is that normal??
It has a Library under the MacHD icon and also under the Home folder, and i noticed that they both are NOT identical, they have different folders.

NOW which one am i supposed to delete? how is this going to affect my system? I really want to consult this with you all before i make a wrong or right move.
please help me!!
I only have like 3 gigs of space left on my HD and i dont know where else all my space could have gone
Xahid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

DONT DELETE EITHER!!!! you need them both. Google for Disk Inventory X and you'll get a nice graphical representation of your HDD.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Xahid
macrumors newbie

I have tried several apps

I have tried Disk inventory X, AppZapper, CleanApp, and OnyX and also dragging various apps to the trash but somthing is still not right, i have an external HD aswell now but still i dont know where some of my space went on my internal HD
Xahid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:12 AM   #4
neonblue2
macrumors 6502a

Well if it's not anything you're keeping in your personal folder then it might be virtual memory and a sleep image (laptops only). The longer your computer is on, the more virtual memory (using hard drive as RAM) you're likely to use. Sleep images are used by laptops to ensure that if the computer loses power while in sleep mode, it can wake up back where you were. The sleep image will always be the size of your RAM.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 05:02 AM   #5
doubleohseven
macrumors 6502a

I recommend installing WhatSize on your Mac. It will determine what exactly is on your hard drive, how much space each file is taking on your hard drive, and it can help clean up your hard drive too so that more space is available.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 05:09 AM   #6
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xahid View Post
and i dont know where else all my space could have gone
Not knowing where it's gone isn't going to bring it back. One way or another you've used it or your system has in order to function.

What size is your drive? How much are you using? How big is your iTunes library etc?

As others have said, do not delete either of those Libraries.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X