Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grego501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Dear everybody,

does someone know about any possibility to access wmp files over iphones SAFARI with a plug in?
Does the standard OSX plug in work for the iphone?

I try to listen to internet radio / and wnmp files that need the windows media player plug in!

Cheers,

Grego501

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Dear everybody,

does someone know about any possibility to access wmp files over iphones SAFARI with a plug in?
Does the standard OSX plug in work for the iphone?

I try to listen to internet radio / and wnmp files that need the windows media player plug in!

Cheers,

Grego501

Best answer?

No.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
WMP Plugin for Safari on the iPhone... You must be kidding! :confused:

Seriously though Ivan, I can't see it happening my friend.

sfh

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Sacramento CA
Not gona happen

why would apple cave to a non standard that could lossen it's grip in the browser market. No flash no wma and I'm fine with that.

It's not like that is the only format they can use

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
why would apple cave to a non standard that could lossen it's grip in the browser market. No flash no wma and I'm fine with that.

It's not like that is the only format they can use

I find wma all over the internet, very few support quicktime.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Ftuner, a free internet radio tuner app, will play WMA streams. But you have to find out what the address is for the stream and enter it manually. I find that doing a google search for the station I want, plus "streamaudio" and "asx" is a good way to find the actual stream address.

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
bigmouth, thanks for the info, I found the program you're referring to, it's called fstream. If this lets me listen to college football on the go I'll be very happy.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
bigmouth, thanks for the info, I found the program you're referring to, it's called fstream. If this lets me listen to college football on the go I'll be very happy.
Whoops! I meant "Fstream" -- sorry for any confusion. That's what I use it for, too, and am glad I could help! On a related note, I think Fstream may be even easier on the battery than Tuner (which doesn't play WMA).

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Ftuner, a free internet radio tuner app, will play WMA streams. But you have to find out what the address is for the stream and enter it manually. I find that doing a google search for the station I want, plus "streamaudio" and "asx" is a good way to find the actual stream address.

i have that its very unreliable. Hardly ever works with custom streams.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
i have that its very unreliable. Hardly ever works with custom streams.
There's a verb missing. To clarify, have you heard this or actually experienced it yourself?

I've had no trouble adding custom streams -- listened to such a WMA feed for several hours yesterday without interruption. I haven't yet tried custom streams that require a password (e.g., secure MP3) but will let you know when I do.

The only bug I've noticed is that the program tends to freeze up if it can't connect to the stream. Still, every program has its bugs (see, e.g., Tuner's memory problem) and this one's free.

iPhone envy

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Tutorial

Ok, non-tech savy guy here, can someone post a quick how-to to use the Fstream process to listen to radio streams?

I really would love to get something that I can use to hear MLB games on the radio via my iPhone.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Ok, non-tech savy guy here, can someone post a quick how-to to use the Fstream process to listen to radio streams?
Easiest way is to go to "favorites," then click "preset," which brings up three different directories of web radio stations, including the one from itunes. If you aren't using wifi, make sure the option "don't use cellular network" is turned off.
I really would love to get something that I can use to hear MLB games on the radio via my iPhone.
Can't be done, at least not reliably. Although you can tune into radio stations (e.g., WFAN) that carry baseball games, they usually turn off the feed because of licensing restrictions. Sometimes you get lucky and someone "forgets" to turn it off, but MLB is the most aggressive (i.e., relative to NFL and NBA) about policing its licenses, so that's rare.

Gameday audio used to be available for Windows Mobile phones, but I think Sprint now has an exclusive contract for the mobile version of the service.

iPhone envy

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Can't be done, at least not reliably. Although you can tune into radio stations (e.g., WFAN) that carry baseball games, they usually turn off the feed because of licensing restrictions. Sometimes you get lucky and someone "forgets" to turn it off, but MLB is the most aggressive (i.e., relative to NFL and NBA) about policing its licenses, so that's rare.

Good point, forgot about that fact, BUT I think you can pay for streaming MLB audio by way of payment to MLB or Yahoo sports, or some combo of both. So, if there was a workaround to allowing the iPhone to accept the service, one could pay for the right to get a MLB internet radio stream.

Also, and more generically, I'd like the same for say the Cal football games - although oddly Cal football stadium is a 100% deadzone. Outside no problem, but inside the roofless stadium I can't get a single bar of edge.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Good point, forgot about that fact, BUT I think you can pay for streaming MLB audio by way of payment to MLB or Yahoo sports, or some combo of both. So, if there was a workaround to allowing the iPhone to accept the service, one could pay for the right to get a MLB internet radio stream.
The only MLB streams I know of are through Gameday Audio on mlb.com, and they're encrypted. Believe me, I've researched workarounds pretty thoroughly -- I don't think it can be done. That's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an official Gameday Audio app like they have for Sprint phones.
Also, and more generically, I'd like the same for say the Cal football games - although oddly Cal football stadium is a 100% deadzone. Outside no problem, but inside the roofless stadium I can't get a single bar of edge.
Roll on you Bears! Luckily, KGO 810 is available as one of fstream's preset stations. I believe it's in the itunes directory under the "talk radio" category.

DrFillster

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
BBC and NPR live feeds can be found through flycast (which actually works now!)

That last link no longer works :(

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
If it is terestrial radio that you are trying to listen to (AM or FM), check out WunderRadio.

It's in the app store, and works like a charm.

Now all the people bitching and complaining that Apple should have included an FM tuner can **** and find something else to make them irritable. :D

The best part is that you can listen to stations from all around the world, without having to concern yourself over reception. :D

CocheseUGA

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Again, fstream should be able to play any streams your WM device did, though you obviously won't be able to just click on links in your browser -- or cut and paste them into the player.

Hmm, may have to try again when they don't have the 'rights restricted' stuff on, as it won't connect at all right now.

EDIT - Fstream didn't work, but WunderRadio does! I can get rid of my 8525 now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.