Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverfarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
I recently received a 2G 8MB iPod Touch and am still trying to work out the bugs. Initially I couldn't figure out how to access the internet, and I tried manually entering my PPP info but that didn't work. A friend with an iPhone told me that that information should have transferred automatically, so I did some exploring in iTunes and saw the section that popped up under Applications (I think) when the Touch was connected. Using that I synced my internet info, my Safari bookmarks, and my address book.

However, since then, when I get bumped off the internet on my computer (which often happens on my rural phone lines - all I can get here is dialup) I have a hard time logging back on. I keep getting the message that another application has changed my settings. Initially I needed to agree to having the PPP password on my keychain apply all the time, and that got me back on (I was using the diagnostic feature under PPP in System Preferences/Network.) But it still changed my preferences so that it prompted me about whether I wanted to remain logged on after 30 minutes, and also disconnected after ten minutes of inactivity. I have changed those things back several times, but it keeps switching them on again. I am still having problems with them and I occasionally still can't log on. I get to "connecting" but can't move on to "authenticating..." Diagnostics usually gets me back, somehow, but last time it said it couldn't help. I cancelled and managed to log on.

I have gone back in under iTunes with the Touch connected and unchecked the sync boxes for all the features that would sync automatically. I already have my music set to sync manually. I also restarted my computer once I reset my PPP configuration and locked it against changes, and I still couldn't get on without the help of the Diagnostics feature under Network. This is seriously irritating. Any idea what's going on?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
First, the iPod touch shouldn't edit anything on the computer. It's only the computer that is supposed to edit things on the iPod.

Second, why are you trying to put your dial-up (PPP) info into your iPod? With Wi Fi you should only have to enter a password if your router is protected.

riverfarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
I have to enter a password to check my mail, so I synced those settings. Unless it's the newest version of iTunes that's doing this, I have no idea what else could be messing up my configurations. I have a G5 iMac running OS X 4.11 and I've had it for three years now; this is the first time I have had this problem and the only thing I've changed is to upgrade iTunes so it would work with my Touch, and to sync the Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.