Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Hi everybody,

I am a long time lurker, but thought I should get some feedback on my site.

http://www.precisionpatent.net

It is a small site that I set up (on 1and1.com under the three years free which I found here) to talk about a little side business I am starting. As you can see from the site I do patent drafting adn other drafting work.

The site is pure XHTML and CSS. The only javascript in the whole site is one to display PNG graphics in IE6 and the other is to encrypt my email from spam spiders. It should work in IE6, IE5.2Mac, Mozilla, and Safari. I haven't tested on anything else. Thanks for the feedback and advice (both from the lurker days and on my site).

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
GOOD WORK!

it's nice, it's clean, it's easy to understand. the first page tells me exactly what you are about. your links are clean and easily navigated.

a general note on your "published work"... i wouldn't put the "in truth..." part in there. if you remade the drawings from scratch, then they are yours.

also, it's good to know that your site is W3C validated, but it doesn't need to be on every page. i prefer to put it on my "about" page... sorry i really don't know the best place to put them for your site.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Thanks for the feedback mnkeybsness adn tomf87. Good point on the validated not needing to be on every page. Maybe I will add an About section, or maybe just leave them on the first page but not every other.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Nice job. Nice implementation of Eric Meyer's CSS popup menus, too. :)

As far as the validation badges go, I think an about page is best, but it comes down to personal prefs. I think the colors tend to clash with a lot of designs, so it's better to hide them away somewhere. I do, however, like to flaunt my standards compliance by placing links to the validators on every page. Take a look at my "validate" menu.

As a design element, I think your drawings are great and could really be leveraged as backgrounds, bullet images, little bits of flair next to headers, etc. Have you considered doing anything like that?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
As a design element, I think your drawings are great and could really be leveraged as backgrounds, bullet images, little bits of flair next to headers, etc. Have you considered doing anything like that?

Actually, I did think about that, and I probably will try something like that down the road a little. I basically, just wanted to get the basic site up first and then I planned to refine it a little more. I'll have to play with it and see how it turns out, as I have become quite attached to the minimalist design.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well, there's a balance to be struck between minimalist and plain. ;)

Let me know if you want me to whip up some layout concepts. :)

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
i think it is fine, but the large size text used for the title needs to be a (small) gif, so u can antianilise (whatever the word is) the text. Maybe the grey is a bad idea, and the font dated (try ariel?0 otherwise i am pleased to see a simple and easy to use site! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.