Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 11, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Gloor
macrumors 6502a

How to replace only new files when copying??

Hi, I have a problem that I'm sure has a simple solution.
I often do manual backups on my external drive (simply because I want to choose what to back up) as well as time machine on a second internal drive.
Well, time machine works fine so I will not talk about that.

Problem:

When I copy a folder to my external harddrive and then 2 weeks later I take the same folder and want to copy it again (with some new files in the folder) it gives me a message saying that the folder exist and if I want to replace or stop. Well, the thing is that I only want to replace files, that are newer or new so I don't want to replace everything as it takes ages because it starts from the scratch so I was wondering if there is a modification I could do in Leopard to change the way the copy works.

Anyone knows?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:15 PM   #2
bpasker
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloor View Post
Hi, I have a problem that I'm sure has a simple solution.
I often do manual backups on my external drive (simply because I want to choose what to back up) as well as time machine on a second internal drive.
Well, time machine works fine so I will not talk about that.

Problem:

When I copy a folder to my external harddrive and then 2 weeks later I take the same folder and want to copy it again (with some new files in the folder) it gives me a message saying that the folder exist and if I want to replace or stop. Well, the thing is that I only want to replace files, that are newer or new so I don't want to replace everything as it takes ages because it starts from the scratch so I was wondering if there is a modification I could do in Leopard to change the way the copy works.

Anyone knows?
Give this little application a try.

http://scriptbuilders.net/files/mergefolders1.0.1.html
bpasker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:48 PM   #3
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Aloha Gloor,

All you need do is open the folder you want to copy and select the contents, then copy to the destination folder. If you copy the contents of the folder, you will be presented with a window asking for your desired action - overwrite, ignore, or cancel. I do this all the time. If you copy the folder, it will be replaced, but if you copy the contents, you can tell the OS what you wish to do. The really cool thing is that, unlike Windows, you can apply that same action to all duplicate files.

HawaiiMacAddict
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	30
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	139043  
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Gloor
macrumors 6502a

thank you guys!
I was hoping for better answer but this will do too ))
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:06 PM   #5
mike505
macrumors newbie

Copy changed files only

I sort the 'from' folder from new to old and then drag only the top files to the 'to' folder. It's basic but effective.
mike505 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Gregg2
macrumors 601

What OS version do you have? I think Lion and beyond have a merge folders ability which might do exactly what you want. Since I haven't upgraded to Lion, I can't tell you how it's done.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:29 PM   #7
patspahr9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
Aloha Gloor,

All you need do is ....

HawaiiMacAddict
Sorry but this does not work for me. I need to make a copy of a folder that contains dozens of sub-folders and hundreds of files. It is almost 900GB and takes me 3 hours to copy from my RAID to an external HD that has an older copy already on it. I only want any new or changed files copied only. But my only option (OSX 10.9.2) is to replace or quit. This stinks. I will kick off the copy and go to bed. sigh...
patspahr9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:10 AM   #8
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to do this...and I think the older, shareware version 3.4.7 would probably work. Once you have the task set up you can schedule automatic backups or do it manually with a couple of clicks.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by patspahr9 View Post
Sorry but this does not work for me. I need to make a copy of a folder that contains dozens of sub-folders and hundreds of files. It is almost 900GB and takes me 3 hours to copy from my RAID to an external HD that has an older copy already on it. I only want any new or changed files copied only. But my only option (OSX 10.9.2) is to replace or quit. This stinks. I will kick off the copy and go to bed. sigh...
If you are not opposed to using the command line, the rsync program would do what you want.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X