Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:03 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Microsoft's 'Head Coach'




Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Microsoft's 'Head Coach'


Description:: Microsoft's leader talks with PC Mag Español about Vista, Windows 7, the "cool" factor, his career, and motivational strategies and why "PCs are better than Macs."

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Killyp
macrumors 68040
 
Killyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
The fact that he's having to persuade people to stay with products they already own (PCs and Windows) is IMO enough to show that their product lineup has failed...
Killyp is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:37 PM   #3
FlintAlt2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Am I the only person who thinks this guy is a moron at giving interviews? He repeats himself well too much. " you know " gets a little excessive.

I love when he says all the stuff which Macs don't have.

I like his argument best though.. " Why is it that PC's sell 33-1 compared to Macs "

I am sure Ford sells like 1,000,000 - 1 to Maserati. Does that make Ford cars better?

Retard logic.
FlintAlt2 is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:01 PM   #4
elppa
macrumors 68040
 
elppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Balmer is bright, so he knows this:

PCs may outsell Macs 32-1 at the moment, but Macs are ourgrowing the industry 4-1.

So next year it might only be 31.8-1, and the year after that it might be 31-1 and the year after that it might be 30-1 etc.

Then Apple starts to become really dangerous. So he needs a strategy to halt Apple's growth, or increase Windows growth, or both.

This is why he is defensive.
elppa is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:11 PM   #5
shadowfax
macrumors 601
 
shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
Man, listening to that guy could convince me George W. Bush is a mensa.
shadowfax is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:11 PM   #6
FF_productions
macrumors 68030
 
FF_productions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
Ballmer brings up good points, and has nothing good to say about Apple, he must bring them down at every chance.

The "Choice" argument is really the biggest one, the fact that you can't buy a Mac from Dell, or any other company, it's all exclusive to one company.

Then Ballmer hits this one "You know, anyway—can you find the applications you want on the Mac? Well, you don't really get full Microsoft Office. " Who's fault is that?? Did Apple say "Please don't give us the full version, make it ****** like all the other software you guys write."

At times in this interview he is very defensive, and at other times he brings up good points.

But the fact remains the same, Apple is continuing to grow, obviously there are ways that they could grow much faster but Apple has their own agenda.
__________________
Home: Mac Pro, Quad 2.66
Work: 27" iMac, Quad 3.4 i7
FF_productions is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:27 PM   #7
229dan229
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
Then Ballmer hits this one "You know, anyway—can you find the applications you want on the Mac? Well, you don't really get full Microsoft Office. " Who's fault is that?? Did Apple say "Please don't give us the full version, make it ****** like all the other software you guys write."
Thanks very much, that has just made my day!!
229dan229 is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:38 PM   #8
elppa
macrumors 68040
 
elppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
Ballmer brings up good points, and has nothing good to say about Apple, he must bring them down at every chance.

The "Choice" argument is really the biggest one, the fact that you can't buy a Mac from Dell, or any other company, it's all exclusive to one company.
You can't buy Audi from BMW, it's all exclusive to one company. Just as Mac has no right to be the property of any other company.

Microsoft has very successfully created a market where hardware and software are disjoint parts and you have choice in one and not in the other.

This is unusual and very little else works like this, computing certainly didn't before the PC. All the big players (DEC, IBM, Cray) made systems (which comprised of hardware and software) that were sold as a product. Due to Microsoft's huge success, this has shaped consumer expectation of how the market works.

Really there is only choice in the PC market on a hardware level, there's only recently been any software choice. It's an illusion of choice when really whatever choice you pick you inevitably end up “choosing” Microsoft.

It is the generic PC eco-system which is out of kilter with the rest of the world, not Apple. You can choose to take or leave their products. It's sad Apple barely has any competitors doing the same thing, but it is certainly nothing to blame Apple for.

What the industry (and Apple) needs is more companies who sell products with well integrated hardware and software. Software which is based on open standards and encourages interoperability.

So come on HP (and others) make your own Operating Systems and give us all real choice, not faux choice. Until then, I will continue to buy Apple. Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
Apple has their own agenda.
Microsoft's agenda is “Windows everywhere”
Apple's agenda is “make the best personal computers in the world”

It's not hard to work out which motivation produces the best products.
elppa is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Saladinos
macrumors 68000
 
Saladinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
part of the way we have competed successfully with Apple is not just on the quality of our software versus theirs, but the variety of experiences and choice that we and our partners, hardware vendors, device driver vendors, application vendors provide.
Actually that's not true. There is no variety of experiences with device driver vendors. They exclusively suck. Those vendors knew about Vista for half a decade before it shipped and had regular contact and builds from Microsoft, yet there are still incompatibilities.

Quote:
Do Macs work in business? No, they do not.
Ooh, careful there. I wouldn't go bashing Macs in business environments with the kind of corporate adoption Vista's having.

Quote:
You know, anyway—can you find the applications you want on the Mac? Well, you don't really get full Microsoft Office.
I thought this too when I switched. Turns out to be false. You can get pretty much anything on the Mac, and the applications tend to be higher quality.

Mac Office is actually highly profitable for Microsoft, so I'm surprised to hear him tell all those potential customers that the product they're paying for isn't what they think it is. If the press noticed this comment, he'd have to issue a "clarification" within 48 hours.

Quote:
Apple started doing stores because nobody wanted to sell their PCs
Doubt it. Dell started as a web-only OEM and got rich doing things that way. I think Apple started their stores because they gave people a chance to actually use the products properly. PC stores have password protections on the machines, Apple stores don't. You can go to any Apple store and use the computer as if it were your own. This is very important.

The Apple store is also the fastest growing retail chain in any market worldwide. Other stores also really want to stock Apple products (see iPods, iPhones at Best Buy, Macs at PC World...etc). If Apple only wanted the stores because they couldn't get any others, why are they still growing?

I used to work at an Apple store in London, and it was always busy. I think we had something like 200,000 customers a week. That was normal. If there was a major product launch, that figure could climb anywhere. The stores are a resounding success.

Quote:
market research says people who own Vista like it. People who don't own Vista don't like it as much. It's interesting, it's not the people who own it who don't like it.
It's not interesting at all - the people who don't like it won't buy it. I understand that's a concept Microsoft isn't used to.

This guy really is full of it. That said, he's a marketing guy. What I like about Apple is that they're run with an engineering focus, not a marketing one. The marketing efforts are more subtle, and centre around the brand and the quality of the products. Microsoft's marketing materials almost never talk about the product.
Saladinos is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:45 PM   #10
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
Microsoft's agenda is “Windows everywhere”
Apple's agenda is “make the best personal computers in the world”
True.

Both companies have been very successful at fulfilling their vision.
__________________
You only live twice, once when you are born, and when you look death in the face. *Basho style poem from 007 YOLT.
sushi is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2008, 03:04 AM   #11
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
I agree full-heartedly with Saladinos and FlintAlt2. Ballmer is way too full of himself. Microsoft is all about selling and market share, while Apple is about innovation and creativity. Both have their own unique niche market, but to be little Apple, well thats another story.

Quoting FlintAlt2, I'd rather chose the faster and cooler car than a cheap rip off of a good car.

Anyway, one thing Ballmer doesn't mention is that Mac is growing, and Linux is growing. But you only have 100% total, so who the heck is shrinking huh? His remark about Macs not getting the full version of Office, well let's think which dumb company wrote that software in the first place? I think Microsoft and it's CEO Steve Ballmer. Now that rings a familiar bell.... He claims there hasn't been a "cheap mac", well that just hints PCs are being cheap, since that is the base of comparison. So on one hand he's saying PCs are not cheap, but moderately priced, and on the other hand, he's saying it's cheap.

With that being said, Vista is the worst OS I've seen. If you look past it's ram-hogging Aero GUI, it's nothing more than windows 2k with a new skin. the frame around the window is modern, but the content pane is still pre-21st century. And business? cmon, most businesses use Linux or Unix if they're serious. Windows is the punchline of a joke.

One last thing, I know it's unorganized, but it's really late/early so I apologize. But why in 2007 when PCWORLD did a benchmark test to find the fastest Vista computer, it was a MacBook Pro? If Macs were as low end and shoddy in his views, why did the OS his company made run better and faster on a Mac?
__________________
YouTube | Twitter
MacBook Air | iPhone 5 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme 802.11ac | iPad signed by Steve Wozniak
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2008, 03:34 AM   #12
Ivan P
macrumors 68030
 
Ivan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Home
Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Wow, this guy is really...infuriating.

What ticked me off the most was his comments about the iPhone in comparison to Windows Mobile. Alright, Windows Mobile is the second most successful cell phone platform, and the iPhone is fourth. But he has to remember Windows Mobile has been out a hell of a lot longer than the iPhone.

That's like being stupid and saying the Xbox 360 sucks because in the two years it's been out it's sold less than the original Xbox*; it's just nonsensical. I bet in a few years the situation will be reversed, and that the iPhone will be beating the hell out of Windows Mobile.

*not saying that the Xbox 360 doesn't suck...
__________________
Black 64GB iPhone 5 / Black 3rd-gen iPad, 64GB Wi-Fi
17" 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core i7, 750GB HDD, 6GB RAM
11" 2010 MacBook Air, 1.4GHz, 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM
Ivan P is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:38 AM   #13
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
Then Ballmer hits this one "You know, anyway—can you find the applications you want on the Mac? Well, you don't really get full Microsoft Office.
I would like this quote on www.microsoft.com/mac. Yet another reason not to upgrade to Office 2008.
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:08 AM   #14
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
The title should have read Head Case instead of coach.

But he's right little old Mac doesn't hurt MS! and I'm sure is the reason why they are going on an all out advertising counter attack.

He really must think that everybody is stupid.
__________________
Mac Pro Quad 2.8 16GB Ram, 3.5TB HDD, 2x SP2208WFP Monitors.
2010 White MacBook, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4 Gig of Ram, 250GB HD.
HTC One X Phone, iPad 3 16GB Wifi,
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:12 AM   #15
elppa
macrumors 68040
 
elppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Got to love the Safari Web Inspector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	92
Size:	576.4 KB
ID:	139119  
elppa is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:45 AM   #16
FlintAlt2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elppa View Post
Got to love the Safari Web Inspector.
Comment of the Thread. Seriously that was genius. Made me laugh.
FlintAlt2 is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:19 PM   #17
nagromme
macrumors G4
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
...
He claims there hasn't been a "cheap mac",
...
In other words, he's saying that PCs that cost more than the cheapest Mac (new for $599 now, $499 at other times) aren't cheap either. But somehow they still sell!
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:44 AM   #18
madmacmike
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Be he scared

Does anyone on this planet not know that IBM have been testing Apple computers since Christmas 2007 and are very excited about the potential future of using macs, it only needs a couple of large pc manufacturers to stick their fingers up at Microsoft and ask for Apples operating system and the Windows empire would very quickly errode- perhaps the largest PC manufacturer in the world already has a licence for OSX and Microsoft are stopping them from using it? Who knows stranger things are happening these days just look at the banking system guys then you might see why Steve Balmer is not very excited about Apple- he cant say its better than Windows that would be like Ford admitting that VW made better vehicles
madmacmike is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:50 AM   #19
MatLane
macrumors 6502a
 
MatLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: England, United Kingdom
Send a message via AIM to MatLane Send a message via Yahoo to MatLane Send a message via Skype™ to MatLane
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintAlt2 View Post
Am I the only person who thinks this guy is a moron at giving interviews? He repeats himself well too much. " you know " gets a little excessive.

I love when he says all the stuff which Macs don't have.

I like his argument best though.. " Why is it that PC's sell 33-1 compared to Macs "

I am sure Ford sells like 1,000,000 - 1 to Maserati. Does that make Ford cars better?

Retard logic.

100% agreed


That's how i look at it.

Microsoft are the ford or cheap car to the 'Bentley or top end porsche' which is where apple is.


Windows, cheap, people like to go cheap


Simple as that really
__________________
2013 iMac 27 inch 3.4GHZ 16GB 3TB Fusion / 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4 inch / iPad with Retina 16GB WiFi White / iPad 2 WiFi Black / iPhone 4S White 16GB / iPod Classic 160GB (2006)
MatLane is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple starting to step on MicroSoft's Toes? MacManiac1224 Hardware Rumors 26 May 13, 2002 11:31 AM
Microsoft's Flaw-Finding Tool Has Its Own Flaw jaykk General Mac Discussion 6 Apr 13, 2002 03:20 PM
Whats Microsoft's .Net Plan? TiMacLover General Mac Discussion 4 Apr 3, 2002 11:27 PM
Microsoft's SetTop Vision arn MacRumors News Discussion (archive) 11 Mar 14, 2002 11:04 AM
Microsoft's 'Settlement' Rejected arn MacRumors News Discussion (archive) 28 Jan 17, 2002 10:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC