Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lizzerosu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
I have been using my macbook without problem in my home for several months. The other night it froze and when I rebooted the computer, airport no longer picked up our wireless network. We have not changed the router settings so it appears to be a problem with my computer. I am able to connect to the internet via an ethernet cord but no luck with the wireless. (I am able to connect to wireless on a closed network at another site.) Any ideas on how to resolved the problem would be much appreciated.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I have been using my macbook without problem in my home for several months. The other night it froze and when I rebooted the computer, airport no longer picked up our wireless network. We have not changed the router settings so it appears to be a problem with my computer. I am able to connect to the internet via an ethernet cord but no luck with the wireless. (I am able to connect to wireless on a closed network at another site.) Any ideas on how to resolved the problem would be much appreciated.

Do you have any other devices that you could (or do) connect to the router (at home) at the moment?

lizzerosu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
couple of other laptops are connecting to wireless on same router (not sure if thats what you mean)

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Do you have any other devices that you could (or do) connect to the router (at home) at the moment?

Yup. Before we bought a new router, my Mom's old G3 iBook on the network (with only a wireless B card) would slow all network traffic to a halt. Now that computer is on a second router "bridged" to the new router (which runs in G/N only mode). The improvements are incredible.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
couple of other laptops are connecting to wireless on same router (not sure if thats what you mean)

I mean, to make sure the problem is not the router try connecting another wireless device to it.

If that works then we know it is the MacBook

lizzerosu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Router is working, room mates are all able to connect. Must be a problem with macbook.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
When you say "no longer picked up", do you mean that Airport cant see you router at all? or it's visible but you can't log in? Because the latter happens to me quite often w/ our office router & what I normally do in case it happens is that I turn off the router momentarily then turn it on again where after a few seconds the two devices are able to hook up again.

lizzerosu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
If i click on the airport icon i can usually see the name of the network. When I try to log in though there I am told there has been an error joining. Sometimes it does not show up at all, but I know the router is working because other computers are able to connect. I have tried restarting the router without any luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.