Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
Ok here is the problem. There is some minor warping on my two month old Macbook Pro.

The warping is mainly not on the lid as most cases are, it is between the plastic edging and the metal on the bottom part of the case. There are a few areas of concern. One is the metal bit above the superdrive. It does not seem to warp outwards, but instead, the metal above is warping upwards (the palm rest metal).

Also, on the left side of the case, the metal and the plastic alignment is alright at the front, but gets progressively worse towards the back, the worse being the area just above the magsafe port.

Another area is the trackpad. Either the armrest metal or the trackpad has a problem. The trackpad appears to dip right at the middle (symmetrical)
The lid closes ok (there is a little bending, but very small and not noticable if you don't put your eye level just at the bottom)

I know the problem is very minor, but I paid loads for this thing, and it will probably last me two more years. So. Do you think apple will change it for me? (I live in Singapore, only apple premium resalers here) The gap between the metal and the plastic at the worse, I am able to insert a phillips screwdriver between it. At the smallest affected parts, I can insert my fingernail into it.

Also to add on, there is occasionally the problem of the blue tint, and over the past week, I've had unusually slow boot times (it happened to fix itself now, but is still slighty slower as before)

Oh, and any chance I will get them new macbook pros they will release on tuesday. They have probably stock of the old ones, hopefully they have cleared those. :D

Thanks loads :)

Here are some images:

Bent_case_pb.jpg

On my MBP, the largest affected part is the size of the smallest part of that

megamouse

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
my 12' PB had the same problem, that's why I just sold my Penryn and wait for the new ones on Tuesday.

Hopefully the new design will sort things out.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
That is not my image, I just pulled it off the web to give a rough idea. And I am also not sure what is that.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
Do you think apple will help me repair it/replace for free?

To add on, on the plastic edging, there are bits chipped off. I have never dropped this laptop or hit it before. But, they are so small that I need to shine a bright light to see it.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
Sorry for bumping, but just to get a rough gauge, who has problems with warping and got a free exchange/repair within their warranty period? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.