Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
I know everybody's opinion might be different, but I would appreciate some input. What about Vizio in particular? Thanks!

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
I've heard the Vizios being good, but I'm not sure about if whether or not there is still a problem with the viewing angle on LCDs.

You might want to look into Plasma televisions if you can.

Volante

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Pioneers are the best, just as plasma. They are using IPS-panels, which provide great viewing angle. Sony also have a highend LCD-series, the X4500. For average spenders, I'd recommend the Samsung A656 or Sony W4500. (The names may vary depending on country)

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It all depends on how much you want to spend. Samsung is one of the highest rated premium brands. If your budget is tighter I would suggest Toshiba. I bought a 42" Toshiba Regza 1080p for right around $1000 on sale and have been very happy with the quality for the price.

If you have a very tight budget then you might want to look at Vizio. Those would be my 3 suggestions.

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
for lcd: sony or Samsung
Plasma: Pioneer or Panasonic

I couldn't have said that any better.

While in the store comparing TV's, check out the black levels. The lower quality LCD's blacks will display as a light gray. The black level is crucial in accurate color reproduction. The Pioneer KUROs are the absolute best (you'll pay for it too). Blacks are black, not gray.

I would consider getting a plasma over an LCD due to the superior black levels and response times, but obviously you have to do whatever your budget allows.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

While in the store comparing TV's, check out the black levels. The lower quality LCD's blacks will display as a light gray. The black level is crucial in accurate color reproduction. The Pioneer KUROs are the absolute best (you'll pay for it too). Blacks are black, not gray.

I would consider getting a plasma over an LCD due to the superior black levels and response times, but obviously you have to do whatever your budget allows.

thats why i went with the panasonic plasma, just thought that looking at all the different tv's plasmas still gives a much better picture with much better colors.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

While plasma does have some advantages over LCD one of it's disadvantages is that it is a power hungry beast compared to LCD. If conserving energy is a concern to you LCD would be better.

I know there are a lot of Sony fans here, but honestly I would not spend that much money on a brand with known issues that other less expensive brands don't have.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

That is a 299 page thread on issues with cloudy and uneven backlighting on Sony Bravias. When you are buying the most expensive brand it should not be an issue. If someone complained about a Vizio I would say expect some minor issues for the price, but not for what Sony charges.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
My Samsung is awesome. Do your homework on avsforum and cnet. Side by side comparisons, though, are always the best way to decide once you narrow down your choices.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I've had Westinghouse, HP, Sony, and Samsung. I think my 40" Samsung I use the most now, purchased in June 2008, definitely gave the most bang for the buck. It's a beautiful picture and set, and I'm immensely happy with it.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida

Just keep in mind that the out of the box settings on a lot of TVs are far from ideal. Plasmas are great, but woek best in a room that can be darkened.

Maximillian

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
This is going to be a lot of opinions and fans of their brand.

So I'll speak up for my brand choice: Sony.

I love the BRAVIA line. Great picture, great sound.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
My vote for Sony XBR as well. Pricey, but worth it. However a friend has a Pioneer plasma and I think it looks good as well. Really just get whatever looks good to you and has all the features you need.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
While plasma does have some advantages over LCD one of it's disadvantages is that it is a power hungry beast compared to LCD. If conserving energy is a concern to you LCD would be better.

Another important disadvantage is elevation. If you live in a high elevation area such as Denver Colorado, it will severely shorten the life of a plasma TV.

QUiKSR20

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
Neptune, NJ
I bought my tv about 1 year ago Samsung LNT4665 ( 46" 1080p )

No regrets when reading reviews and doing side by side comparisons the Samsung looked better than everything in its price range. It also had great reviews online as well

For plasm def Pioneer Kuro or Panasonic like the others stated.

ozarkchoir

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
For a man on a budget...

I have a Vizio and I love it. So much so I saved enough extra to buy a smaller 32" Vizio for my bedroom. I have been very very happy with this American company.

I wanted Samsung after all the reviews and looking at them...but the extra money just wasn't there. So that being said I wouldn't have made a different decision. Sure it's not one of the "super name brands" but for the price this is the best television I've owned. Looks great with my Mac Mini hooked up to it with all our movies ripped.
:D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
For LCDs, samsung, sony and sharp are the best. Sony tends to be overpriced. Watch our for LG to slowly climb the ranks as well.

Toshiba is an excellent cheaper choice in LCDs.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Overall, I like Panasonic; I think Pioneers are on par with Panasonic in the Plasma department (considering Matsushita makes the panels for Pioneer).

I think Sharp LCDs kick butt, but maybe that's personal preference.

08mxkfx

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I have a 37" Vizio in my room and it has been great for the price. BUt my parents have a 52" Sharp Aquos and that thing is clear and sharp its unbelievable. But if you want a cheaper but still great LCD I'd go with Vizio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.