Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
It has been speculated that the ports are all on the left because this would make a dock realistic again...and some have speculated about that Apple patent w/ the laptop being inserted into a monitor/iMac looking contraption.

I believe the latter is why the OD has moved to the right. Even if Apple doesn't release this technology Tuesday it leaves open the possibility that they could down the road. Think about it, if the OD is out front you couldn't insert or eject a disc w/o removing the laptop from inside the monitor. With the notebook inserted the OD functions just like the iMac's drive.

Apple_docking_laptop_patent_illustration_1.jpg

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
That's a creative speculation......

Though i don't see apple releasing a "accessory" display. I do see where your coming from and would be a good idea.

ttopp

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
if this monitor was to work the ports would all have to be the same.. they arnt (on the leaked pics the macbook and pro are different) unless they are just going to support one laptop with this monitor, or a different one for each laptop.. i would just have the one monitor that would take all laptops a tray to make up for size difference would b required to though the od could still b the kicker there??? mmmm?

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
So we have confirmed that there are no ports on the right side other than the OD and the security port? What about people that have umm...a mouse?!? I mean, I dont care allll that much because I use a bluetooth Might Mouse, but what about everyone else? Surely Apple wouldnt do this, right? (And I just called you Shirley ;))

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Obviously the receiving monitor would have it's own share of ports to accomodate.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So we have confirmed that there are no ports on the right side other than the OD and the security port? What about people that have umm...a mouse?!? I mean, I dont care allll that much because I use a bluetooth Might Mouse, but what about everyone else? Surely Apple wouldnt do this, right? (And I just called you Shirley ;))

Well most mice these days now wireless. I think Apple doesn't really care who well the ports work on the mouse because they either think you should be using the touchpad or they want you to buy the bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

buddywalker

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Macbooks haven't had any ports on the right for years, and I don't think it is a very big deal. Even if you still choose to use a wired mouse, i think the cord is plenty long to reach around, but a bluetooth works so much better regardless of the port situation.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I can accomplish the same effin' thing by buying any monitor on the planet. Why people have a jones for this ultra-stupid concept of such a docking station is beyond me.

I saw a mockup like this for the iPhone, which I kind of understand, but the idea of plopping a big MacBook in something like the iMac display just seems a little bizarre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.