Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:27 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

First miniature security computer for Mac desktops and lapto...

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: First miniature security computer for Mac desktops and laptops
Description:: The new Gatekeeper Pico for Mac and Gatekeeper Card Pro for Mac, provide 12 internet security applications on a dedicated hardware that offloads security, improves productivity and protects users wherever they connect.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Interesting concept. I really hate news sites that don't link back to the manufacturer's page though... The concepts of "walled garden" and "world wide web" are not compatible.

http://www.yoggie.com/
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:09 PM   #3
The Truth
macrumors regular

Haha, the Walled Wide Web.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Mepappas
macrumors newbie

Yoggie out of business?

Hi Folks,
I have the Gatekeeper Card Pro for MacBook Pro.
My subscription for the anti virus updates for this express card is set to expire in August.
The web page has changed from www.yoggie.com to a redirect at
http://80.179.191.132/ most of the web page links are broken and I can't use their license renewal link from the unit itself to renew my subscription.
(as your supposed to do}
This doesn't bode well for the future of this company. I have seen this kind of behavior in the past, just before a web based service went kaput.
I wonder if anyone else has some insight with what's going on at this company.
I spent about $99.00 for this unit direct from Yoggie on Friday 24 July, 2009.
After reading all the awards this security solution got, I felt safe in buying from them. NowI'm not so sure!
Just an FYI for my fellow Mac users.
Mepappas is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepappas View Post
After reading all the awards this security solution got, I felt safe in buying from them. NowI'm not so sure!
You're not sure? You're not sure! What does it take to make you sure? What exactly were you protecting yourself from? A bank account that was too large? The company is out of business because virtually every other Mac user understood what you don't seem to get. There are no Mac viruses. The only Mac malware is installed with the specific consent of the user. Gatekeeper Card Pro is the type of product known as the Fool's Tax. You are such a good taxpayer that you are looking for the tax office even after the tax collector has retired to a beach house in the South Pacific.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Mepappas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
You're not sure? You're not sure! What does it take to make you sure?.
Hi MisterMe,
I needed a hardware firewall because my bank account is rater large. I sometimes find myself having to access these accounts on unsecured wifi networks. As for the anti-virus part of the equation I use that feature to keep from forwarding infected emails to folks that aren't on the Mac Platform.

" Apple said in a statement sent to SecurityFocus. "The Mac is designed with built-in technologies that provide protection against malicious software and security threats right out of the box. However, since no system can be 100 percent immune from every threat, running antivirus software may offer additional protection."
So while you feel invincible, there are some concerns out there.
Best,
Mepappas
Mepappas is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:59 PM   #7
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepappas View Post

" Apple said in a statement sent to SecurityFocus. "The Mac is designed with built-in technologies that provide protection against malicious software and security threats right out of the box. However, since no system can be 100 percent immune from every threat, running antivirus software may offer additional protection."
So while you feel invincible, there are some concerns out there.
Best,
Mepappas
Oh, my God. Not that again. You are beyond help. Now get this if it is possible. No antivirus software can protect your Mac from viruses. There are no Mac viruses. The only legitimate use for Mac antivirus software is to prevent your Mac from acting as a carrier of Windows viruses. Nothing can protect you from a treat that does not exist. To acknowledge the absence of a threat is not the same as a mistaken belief in invincibility. Is is your belief that it is foolish not to wear body armor to protect yourself from people who point a finger at you and shout "Bang"?
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:06 PM   #8
Mac-Michael
macrumors regular

MisterMe, you are right. But it is his/her money and choice. Say it but don't push it. If you live in Tacoma (WA) you'll be the same way.
Mac-Michael is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Mepappas
macrumors newbie

Another Tacoma Slam?

"If you live in Tacoma (WA) you'll be the same way."
Thanks for that Mac-Michael.
I notice you don't say where you live in your public profile?

Oh and MisterMe you say:The only legitimate use for Mac antivirus software is to prevent your Mac from acting as a carrier of Windows viruses.

If you read my post it said: As for the anti-virus part of the equation I use that feature to keep from forwarding infected emails to folks that aren't on the Mac Platform.

All I intended was posting some information about this company. Now you folks have your opinions, I respect that. But let's not take this to a personal level.
Thanks,
Mepappas
Mepappas is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion