Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
My iphone screen just went black. No matter what I do it wont come on. Plugged phone t pc and it does connect to itunes. Currently restoring to see if that helps. Anyone had this issue?

scminunni

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
just great, now what?!!!

just started today with the same issue, iphone will not turn on no matter what, was able to answer one call while in this state, but subsequent calls do not display. did your restore work?

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
i had the same problem a few days back.. :( when i try restarting the phone, it just got stuck in the apple logo loading screen.. restore did the job for me but sure hope that it wouldn't happen again..

gredden

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Iphone went black

My new 3G did the same thing. Took it to Apple store and it was my old case.
You have to buy a case that is 3G capable. Old cases cover the Iphone antenna. Since I got my new case, no problems at all.

iphoneg33k

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
I had the same problem. I did a restore but it happen again, plus why would Iphone antenna cause this?

I would understand the sign not being strong but why the antenna....

My iphone has been acting funny the last couple of months. The first week I lost all sound to it. Once in a while it crashs, I think I might take it back but I'm affaid that I will get some one else iphone. I want a new one out of the box... Don't want a refrib one ... Have anyone received a refrib one rather then a new one?

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
It's not the antenna, it's the IR proximity detector. The cases are covering it up and the phone thinks you are holding it to your head so it shuts off the screen. Get a new case and the problem should go away. To test this out....remove your phone from the case and see if the problem goes away.

PaulSe

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
Screen protector reflecting IR?

It's not the antenna, it's the IR proximity detector. The cases are covering it up and the phone thinks you are holding it to your head so it shuts off the screen. Get a new case and the problem should go away. To test this out....remove your phone from the case and see if the problem goes away.

I had a problem like that described here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6605601.

Following the idea that it was the screen protector, I removed it, and that seemed to make the problem go away.

I'm guessing the screen protector I have was internally reflecting the IR signal back to the detector even if it wasn't close to my ear. Perhaps this could be adjusted with a software setting.

Looking closely under a bright light, I found what appeared to be a sensor / emitter pair on the 3G phone. It is even with the ear piece and about 5mm to the left. There's also what is probably the light sensor slightly to the left of that.

I used a regular paper hole punch on the clear screen protector to make a hole centered over the pair. (Not that great looking, yet cheaper than a new case.) Problem seems to be resolved.

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
I'm using the Griffin iPhone 4 Screen Care Kit 3 pack which has cut outs for the sensor. No trouble with them...

jillianmico

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
my fix..

The unlock screen on my iphone was lit however when i slide to unlock it everything would go black... but the phone was still on.. What fixed it for me was turn on a light bc i was in a dim lit room.. hopefully its a quick fix for you as well

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

My iPod did this once. I hooked it up to iTunes and it seemed to fix itself. I'm I bang-on-it-till-it-works type of troubleshooter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.