Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nowaytobequiet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I saw the post about OWC using counterfiet UL logos and I had to check into it, I have one of their first generation and latest version of the USB 2.0 adaptor and the first gen. is def not a legit UL logo, you can tell easily because there is no registration # under the logo itself, which is prob. how they got caught. I could not find a Customs report as mentioned but the UL logo is def. no a real one so the story is true, hate to say it but OWC really did do this and it is easy to check, just compare it to othe UL logo's and you will see for yourself, I will now be checking this on all my electronics, not having it is not as bad as having a fake one, hoped for better from OWC given their reputation, which is now I am sad to say tainted to say the least and dishonest to their customers in my opinion. Others may defend them but I say do me wrong once, shame on you, twice and shame on me, I wont be back regardless of "popular" opinion. For those who doubt it and have one, just check the logo on the first gen. models, you will find you were also a victim of their game.

dcubed20

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I saw the post about OWC using counterfiet UL logos and I had to check into it, I have one of their first generation and latest version of the USB 2.0 adaptor and the first gen. is def not a legit UL logo, you can tell easily because there is no registration # under the logo itself, which is prob. how they got caught. I could not find a Customs report as mentioned but the UL logo is def. no a real one so the story is true, hate to say it but OWC really did do this and it is easy to check, just compare it to othe UL logo's and you will see for yourself, I will now be checking this on all my electronics, not having it is not as bad as having a fake one, hoped for better from OWC given their reputation, which is now I am sad to say tainted to say the least and dishonest to their customers in my opinion. Others may defend them but I say do me wrong once, shame on you, twice and shame on me, I wont be back regardless of "popular" opinion. For those who doubt it and have one, just check the logo on the first gen. models, you will find you were also a victim of their game.

fight the power, man

nowaytobequiet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Tried to get pics of the logo's but he glare washes it out, the original post is gone, like it stated it would be as well. It is EASY for people to confirm this on ther own, just check te UL logo on several name brand items and it will not match the one on Other World Computing's power supply on the first generation USB 2.0 adaptor, I sent an emailt o OWC asking for a refund or replacement with a REAL UL verified power supply and will update with their answer as soon as I get one, I suggest everyone who bought one of these do the same, no sense letting them get away with this, if nothing else they should refund the price of the counterfeit power supply IMO. To bad, I thought they were a good company until this happened, now they fall into the "out for profit only" companies who calim to care about their cstomers, but only care about themselves, this completely disgusts me, I thought they were better than this, oh well, gonna shop elsewhere from now on and be MUCH more careful overall with my trust.

nowaytobequiet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Well, heard back and because my unit is over 1 year old, thy will do NOTHING!!! What a joke, they sold me an item with a counterfeit logo and now will not stand by it, all I can say is I will NEVER buy from Other World Computing again, they have lost all their reputation with me. To bad for them, I will be upgrading 3 units in the next couple weeks and everything will be bought elswhere no matter what, I wont get ripped off again by these people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.