Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacNN adds more details and confirmation that the leaked MacBook Pro photos are legitimate. They are also able to add a few additional tidbits which tie together some of the circulating reports.

Most noteworthy is that the new MacBook Pro will support Hybrid SLI from NVIDIA. NVIDIA describes the technology:
Hybrid SLI® technology, based on NVIDIA’s industry-leading SLI technology, delivers multi-GPU (graphics processing unit) benefits when an NVIDIA motherboard GPU is combined with an NVIDIA discrete GPU. Hybrid SLI increases graphics performance with GeForce® Boost and provides intelligent power management with HybridPower.
Such a configuration will also be beneficial when Apple introduces OpenCL with Snow Leopard in 2009. OpenCL will allow applications to offload processing to GPUs.

Other features described for the new MacBook Pros include speeds up to 2.8GHz, improved wireless connectivity, 7200 RPM hard drives, HD displays, 128GB SSD option, user-serviceable hard drive and an extra long battery.

MacNN also confirms that Firewire will be a feature reserved for MacBook Pros and the MacBooks will not contain Firewire. However, they do believe that MacBooks will be announced during the event, despite a curious footnote by Engadget indicating otherwise.

Readers should note that the price list represents products currently in-transit to the Apple Store. As a result, those products should have near immediate availability. The low end MacBook appears to be absent from that list, which may mean it will not ship until later. At this point, we don't know what the price of the entry level MacBook will be.

Separately, we have heard that the new DisplayPort technology will support an adapter for Dual-Link DVI to be able to drive existing Apple's 30" monitors.

Article Link

Sangmort

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
"The low end MacBook appears to be absent from that list, which may mean it will not ship until later. "

Interesting...~

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I am so looking forward to these new Macbooks! They just keep getting better and better. It will be exciting to see what Apple comes out with

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
i hope "HD" truly means at least 1080 vertical pixel HD.

companies are slapping "HD" on anything and everything these days since basically anything over standard VGA or 720x480 video can be considered "HD", which means current screens are already "HD". :rolleyes:

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Each time I see that photo of the MBP, I think back to the old Titanium PowerBook...

200px-15-inch-titanium-powerbook.jpg

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
What does "extra-long battery life" really mean? 10 hours? And is it RL battery life? Or "Apple" battery life?

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
MacNN also confirms that Firewire will be a feature reserved for MacBook Pros and the MacBooks will not contain Firewire. However, they do believe that MacBooks will be announced during the event, despite a curious footnote by Engadget indicating otherwise.

I'm starting to get mad before the event :mad:

iLEZ

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2006
Sweden
My first-day-first-gen MB died a slow multiple malfunction death a couple of months ago and i am really looking forward to this evenings event.
Hoping for DisplayPort and some form of cheap slim HDMI adapter, if not HDMI. Yay for Hybrid SLI and longer battery (life?). I am sure Steve won't let us down.
Cheers from Sweden!

hdhanani

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Vancouver, BC
having no firewire in ANY of the macbooks is miss for apple...

they should include firewire for the high-end macbook at least... just the high-end then...

meh... let's wait and see...

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
i think 1 gig video ram on the high end 2 512 cards. dell has 1 and that will help bring games to mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.